Thoughts on Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Daniel47, May 22, 2017.

1. Daniel47

Daniel47 NightWalker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hi everyone. With the FFXII remaster coming out soon I thought I would see what you all think about it, expectations, what you want to see in it that wasn't in the original ps2 release and so on. If you haven't seen the trailer here it is.

Love to hear your thoughts and opinions.

2. Raijinn

Raijinn YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET Veteran

First Language:
    Bahasa, English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The Graphics aren't a good as XV's but other than that, it should be good

3. TheTsunaru

TheTsunaru Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Final Fantasy 12 is my second favorite game in the series (after 14, which technically doesn't count since it's an MMO), so I'm hyped for this. I never got around to playing the International version, so the job system is entirely new to me, and should add a nice dynamic to the game, since my one major issue with it was that by the end of the game, all characters were basically carbon copies of each other, with the only differences between them being whatever espers you had them learn, and espers were next to useless, so you'd never end up using them anyway (which luckily has also been fixed in this)

Arithmetician and Daniel47 like this.
  4. Daniel47

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It's interesting that you mention espers. I heard recently on another video that you would be able to actually control the espers. I hope that's the case. Though I feel you on the carbon copy.

My main party was Vann, Fran, and Balthier. Vann had the Deathbringer, Fran with the Excalibur (don't get me started on the struggle to get that. Giruvegan and the Great Crystal can go away.), and Balthier with the Ragnarok. All three where level 60 to 65 and knew most of the same spells. So yeah a job class system will add to the challenge.

5. Daniel47

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My only complaint is that the music has lost the soul that the original soundtrack had. Same deal with FFX remaster for ps3. Music was not as lively as the original.

6. Rhaeami

Rhaeami The Sleepy-Eyed One Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It's easily one of my favorite games in the series, and when I played it I had already heard about the "zodiac" version Japan had, and wanted to try it out. I *should* be super interested in this. But the hard fact is that I've already played the game so many times that I'd rather play other things instead. :kaoswt:

Philosophus Vagus likes this.
  7. J0pac

J0pac Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Croatian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've played japanese version, and this is just the translated version of it with enhanced graphics!?I think so.
    Anyway FF12 is probably my favorite FF after FFVI.In japanese version you were able to fully control espers and guests.Espers are still pretty much useless, tho they unlock different paths on licence board.I remember you could get two handed sword(ragnarok If I'm not mistaken)for red mage by picking the right esper(Zodiark?).
    Class system is great.It's a bit hard at first as you need to pick classes knowing that some great stuff will be locked for you forever.
    Like haste, hastega and float If you don't pick time mage, which is very weak compared to the other classes.Yet float is extremely useful as traps in this version are very powerful and annoying.The deadliest one are usually unavoidable,unless you remove 2 characters from the party everytime...
    Two handed weapons are most powerful weapons in the game but are pretty much end game weapons, and only knight can use them.+Red mage can get one or two swords with esper, and maybe white mage.I don't remember,either way they are useless on white mage.So yeah there's a lot of calculation and tactics involved in class picking which I think is great.
    I am looking forward to playing this game again :D

Oh and I don't get why you don't like the music :o
    It seems pretty much the same to me plus you can change it to orchestral versions which are beautiful!

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  8. TheTsunaru

TheTsunaru Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't think you can directly control them like you can the regular party members (in that you can open the menu and force them to do an action in order to override the gambit system), but you are able to set their gambits, and they've gotten rid of some of the stupid requirements for using their special moves (I'm looking at you Zodiark, and your stupid "Summoner Status = Petrify" requirement to use Final Eclipse >.>)

9. J0pac

J0pac Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Croatian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nope, you can pick commands for espers,you can fully control it as walk with it.You weren't able to set their gambits in japanese version.

10. Daniel47

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Sounds like the challenge I need. If that's the case I'm really looking forward to it. In terms of the music don't get me wrong. I absolutly love all the FF music. However, when it comes to remastered versions, the soundtrack doesn't seem to have the same vibe that the orginal had. Now if they implement an option to switch back to the soundtrack that played during the original that's awesome. My ear is tuned to all the orginal compositions, so when a arranged version comes along it can throw me off a bit. That's just me though. Moving on however, the job class selection system will certainly provide for multiple playthroughs.

11. Arithmetician

Arithmetician Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The original game was my first Final Fantasy, and I like the idea of the Zodiac Job System. I've pre-ordered the Zodiac Age and am very much looking forward to trying it out.

12. GoodSelf

GoodSelf Zhu Li! Do the thing! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    12 was one of the Final Fantasys I never got around to playing, so I'm excited for this release. Final Fantasy IX was my first, and still my favorite.

Daniel47 likes this.
  13. Daniel47

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Final Fantasy VI was my first. XII makes two or three references back to FFVI. Though they are small.

14. Philosophus Vagus

Philosophus Vagus The drunken bird dog of rpg maker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I thoroughly enjoyed FF12, but I still have my ps2 so it isn't really worth it to me to pay just to get the graphical touch up and job restrictions (though it really does sound like a fun way to spice things up; still, with a little restraint I could probably enforce such restrictions on a playthrough if I decided I really wanted to.)

Overall it's a pass for me, but I'm sure it's a great boon to people who always have the latest toys when they find themselves pining for the past.

15. SwiftSign

SwiftSign Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    12 was awesome and it comes out around my birthday so woop :).

I hated Espers to a huge degree though, to disown the usual summons and make espers poor in battle was a bad move.

Daniel47 likes this.
  16. Daniel47

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I fully agree. They were a mega pain in the ass to bring down, but mega weak and useless in actual combat.

17. roiaa

roiaa Freelance artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Im really excited for the release of FF IX