Thoughts on how to make a "Colony 6" in RPG Maker?

Hero_Claive

(Phoenix Ember)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This idea sort of came to me when I was thinking of story elements I wanted to add to my game; how would one go about making a ruined civilization (a large map, in technical terms) that you can upgrade and add features to?

For the uninformed, Colony 6 is an area in the game Xenoblade Chronicles. It is a small civilization destroyed by an enemy force and a couple important characters used to reside there. After taking it back from the enemy, you have the option to collect materials to "rebuild it" so to speak, by upgrading different aspects. For example, here are the categories for upgrading:

- Housing (builds houses)
- Commerce (builds shops)
- Nature (builds scenery)
- Special (builds various facilities)

So my question is how could one make a composite map like Colony 6 in VX Ace? It would be impossible to make different maps for each stage, I think. The map would have to function so that any part of it could change just based on the upgrade you choose. So for example, Housing could be at Level 3, Nature at Level 2, Commerce and Special at Level 1 and the map would adapt to these parameters.

What do you guys think? Is it possible?

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can simply draw a map and handle all structures through event, that way it is possible to have the city graphics "change" as you wish.

Hero_Claive

(Phoenix Ember)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Wouldn't you run into passability issues at that point? If we were going that route, I'd say parallax mapping is the better option.

Poryg

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Passability issues? No, not really. If you know how to use event priorities, which is a basic feature of rpg maker, then not. I would be more worried about lag than passability issues.

Hero_Claive

(Phoenix Ember)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
As in, using events to take up, let's say, 256 x 256 px of space would prove difficult as you have no way to set the passability for each 32 x 32 square in the event. Like I said, this would be better accomplished with parallax mapping. But I was more interested in the possibility of building a composite map which combines several different maps into one.

Poryg

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Actually, that wouldn't be one event, but many events spriting a house... Parallax mapping always sounds pleasant, but it also increases your folder size around threefold... But well, suit yourself :)
I am not a VXAce user, so I know nothing about joining maps into one...

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You might like to consider using the tile swap command. You will need to plan your tiles sets very carefully and work backward.
You begin with the fully developed map. You have everything you need in that tileset. (call it e.g. town 5)
You take it back a stage by removing some of the tiles which gave you a fancy building, (perhaps you put everything you needed for them on tile sheet E and you just remove it), thus giving you a new tile set, and changing some of the colourful roof tiles in A4 for something simpler. Name that tile set.(e.g. town 4)
Then you create a more primative version by replacing some of the stone wall A3 tiles with wooden ones. Remove other things like the nice paved road by replacing that tile with a dirt track one. Change the stone bridge to a wooden one. Name that tile set (e.g. town 3)

And so on.

Hero_Claive

(Phoenix Ember)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kes

That's definitely one option. But it restricts the ability to update certain categories. That might be what I have to settle for though.

I recently thought that maybe I could use a multiple parallax script to construct different parts of the map that can switch out easily. The map would have to be fully parallaxed and function outside of tilesets, but I think that might work. Thoughts?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Now that I've had some sleep, I can see that this is in the wrong place. Mapping is not a 'mechanic' as such, and this is very much a "How do I...?" question with the discussion of eventing, tile swapping etc.
[move]RPGMaker VX Ace[/move]

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Snarkyfork wrote on Trihan's profile.
Hey man, I saw you mention that you do MV javascript work? Just wanted to confirm it before I put you on speed dial. =)
"Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is."-Krishna
FastFood in my country is neither fast nor cheap like it's expected to be, but people still buy a lot of it. I don't want to imagine how much of it people would eat if it was.
Started finishing up my bosses and characters...I don't know how long...but its going to take long...

I ended up needing to do a chapter one world map remake. It's still WIP but coming along nicely. =D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CGI_ERICYT