Thoughts on MZ??

SpookyOn3

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Im an old game owner coming back to put back up my game. The engine I used was McCodes which was all PHP coding and very hackable. Today the engine is now 20 yrs old so my game will not work on new servers today. I love MZ since its so very easy to use (since I havent coded in 20 yrs). Im wanting to know everyones feedback good or bad since I do want to invest in this engine. (I can start showing my 10 yr old to make games). And in the end is the game able to be uploaded on any server?

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's pretty good, but nothing much new if you've used MV previously.

SpookyOn3

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
It's pretty good, but nothing much new if you've used MV previously.
this my first time. Dont want to do the endless hours and hours of PHP coding plus all the fixing if something not right. Im trying to make and endless RPG like todays games. Is MZ only one you use?

cayenne_spicy

Just Chili'in' Out
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
There's a good thread on this topic here:

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I say, if you havent bought MV buy MZ. If you have bought MV don't buy MZ. There basicly the same

Dororo

Gespenst MKII pilot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You don't even need to write a single code line for the thing to work, if you just want the given features. Practically speaking, the engine create a "default game" that you customize with different data (items, variables) so you don't need to touch functions.
There's a meta-language that allow you to create events and cutscenes, but is mostly like plain english and very easy, with even buttons for macro (like move this, open that, play this and so on).

THEN, if you want for your game to act differently than default, you can use the plugin system and create snippets that change the core functions so they act differently - there are a BILLION of ready made plugins, so you probably don't even need to code the same.

BUT if you actually want to do something unique, special and very very very PRO, you can try to code some plugin on your own and learn both JavaScript and how the engine core work, but probably this is very far from your actual needs.

It work fine if your goal is to produce a default JRPG - to make something even slightly different things become abruptly much harder. You'll need a plugin for even the slightest change in the behaviour - and if that plugin doesn't exist the curve become steep to an uncanny degree.
As long as you stay in the borders of a JRPG and use default resources, this engine work like a charm, is relaxing to use and help you focus more on the plot area than boring stuff like mapping or set a database.
It could be very fun and immediate for a kid to produce a game, but is not ideal to introduce someone to coding logic (this engine do the impossible to keep you away from coding...).

Last edited:

SpookyOn3

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
You don't even need to write a single code line for the thing to work, if you just want the given features. Practically speaking, the engine create a "default game" that you customize with different data (items, variables) so you don't need to touch functions.
There's a meta-language that allow you to create events and cutscenes, but is mostly like plain english and very easy, with even buttons for macro (like move this, open that, play this and so on).

THEN, if you want for your game to act differently than default, you can use the plugin system and create snippets that change the core functions so they act differently - there are a BILLION of ready made plugins, so you probably don't even need to code the same.

BUT if you actually want to do something unique, special and very very very PRO, you can try to code some plugin on your own and learn both JavaScript and how the engine core work, but probably this is very far from your actual needs.

It work fine if your goal is to produce a default JRPG - to make something even slightly different things become abruptly much harder. You'll need a plugin for even the slightest change in the behaviour - and if that plugin doesn't exist the curve become steep to an uncanny degree.
As long as you stay in the borders of a JRPG and use default resources, this engine work like a charm, is relaxing to use and help you focus more on the plot area than boring stuff like mapping or set a database.
It could be very fun and immediate for a kid to produce a game, but is not ideal to introduce someone to coding logic (this engine do the impossible to keep you away from coding...).
thank you. I already put in the hours and days and years PHP coding cause thats how games were 20 yrs back. Easy PHP but this is very easy, and the plugins are so easy to install compared to alot the other engines out there. Can you upload your own images and stuff?? Cause all the stuff dose not fit the theme of my game so have to upload my own for the theme

I say, if you havent bought MV buy MZ. If you have bought MV don't buy MZ. There basicly the same
Im using MZs free trial right now but I know it takes longer then 30 days to get game done. Even this way take longer then 30. SO they both the same, and its the only one that works on Windows 10.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
this my first time. Dont want to do the endless hours and hours of PHP coding plus all the fixing if something not right. Im trying to make and endless RPG like todays games. Is MZ only one you use?
I've used about every version of RPG Maker, so everything in MZ feels familiar to me. If you're new, MZ should be your best option, at the moment.

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
Can you upload your own images and stuff?? Cause all the stuff dose not fit the theme of my game so have to upload my own for the theme
you can use custom assets for your game in RPG maker series in any PC version... the only exception is the console version (Switch, PS4, etc)...

Dororo

Gespenst MKII pilot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SpookyOn3 : There are severe limitations on format, anyway, when you import your assets, like dimensions and tilesheet logic.
This is for MV, but still true for MZ:

Again, to change this behaviour (like having different sizes than 48*48) you'll enter the world of plugins, that could be harder to manage than regular development to different degrees.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to MZ Feedback. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

bobkelso121

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Its good so far, i moved from vx ace. its missing key elements, like zoom in and out while in the transfer player menu. and the sf chair(forward facing) does not work properly) other then that it is solid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Going to submit to this game jam...struggling with the time crunch...
Have to keep compromising...
Just released a new OST for my game and a new place to purchase it!

Ah, things to do when you finish a game.
Ami
Me: It's dark cloudy! I hope it's Rain…
(2-3 Hours Later,Changed To Sunny)
Me: :kaolivid:
EpicFILE wrote on Dr_Bonehead's profile.
Dr_Bonehead? You're in this forum too? :D
Take a listen to this beautiful 1975 supermarket music. :D

Somehow it makes me think that the actual real world is still at 1970s. What we experience now is just a futuristic dream. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fontschoice