Thoughts on Overwatch?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by block1, May 6, 2016.

1. block1

block1 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The open beta for Overwatch started today, what do you think about it so far?

I'm personally enjoying it a lot. I've been playing lot's of Widowmaker and have had some interesting moments with her.

AwesomeCool likes this.
  2. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm having fun with it. Playing on my ps4 and pc to compare. Mouse and Keyboard are way better then the controller for precise aiming and I'm able to pull off better shoots with Widowmaker then on the console. but seeing as I perfer tanking and sentry duty I might buy the console version.

AwesomeCool likes this.
  3. N-Game Arts

N-Game Arts Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've played it... pretty dayum boring if you ask me...
    I know it's a "Beta" but holy hell, it's like they didn't even try to make the world and gameplay unique

and they think it be worth 60$... dayone?
    I swear it's like AAA game don't ever try anymore. -_-

Alexander Amnell likes this.
  4. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain) Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Surprisingly good and fun, I'm not really a fan of the genre but some heroes are pretty awesome to use. I might consider buying it in future when there will be a good sale.

Susan and AwesomeCool like this.
  5. Scythuz

Scythuz Explorer Bot *beep beep* Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Fun but I'm not sure I'd pay full price for it :p  

AwesomeCool likes this.
  6. Mage Heart

Mage Heart Level 50 Bard Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I just preordered it today. Love the gameplay.

AwesomeCool likes this.
  7. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I played the open Beta, mostly as Reaper. I had my fun but I dunno if it's me or what, it gets boring and repetitive after a while :/

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2016
  8. TheAlexG

TheAlexG Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The gameplay seems like something I've seen before. However, the characters are rather interesting, and so is some of the history in Overwatch's universe, so while similar, it's still interesting. 

9. Ghost of Christmas Kloe

Ghost of Christmas Kloe Ghost of a Princess Seagull Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Well, it's not my type of game but it looks like many people like it, so it seems good!

10. AwesomeCool

AwesomeCool Bratty and spoiled little sister Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    A really good game imo.

It felt fun, well made and the characters felt diverse.

The $40 price tag seems very fair for it, however...

...the game felt pretty unbalanced, with some characters just straight out losing to most other characters, the player progression doesn't seem to be that strong currently (they probably have plans for this) and a lot of the maps are very chokepoint heavy with very minimal chances of flanking and only one-dimensional strategy (which leads to certain defensive characters being so strong that it takes 3+ people to take them down on certain maps).

Since it is a multiplayer game, these issues will obviously be fixed and more issues will eventually arise.  But currently it is a ton of fun.

@N-Game Arts It is $40, not $60.  The $60 one is the special edition version with extra content for five skins, WoW, D3, S2, and Hearthstone stuff.

and it should be noted that most single-player games have less then a 20 hour campaign (and shooters are generally around 8-10 hours), while multiplayer games are usually played for many, many more hours on average.

I would rather have all the resources focused on what the game is truly about (online team based battles) then spend a bunch of resources to pad out more content (forgettable single-player that most people will not even finish, making tons more characters that will end up all feeling the same and/or uninspired, a bunch of bad maps, etc).

You would think that everyone would eat only from the Mcdonalds dollar menu, with the way people talk about games.

Ex: $6.99 for a 1/3rd pound hamburger at Applebees? I could get 7 1/4th pound hamburgers at Mcdonalds for that price lol.  What a total rip-off!

...or would want all restaurants to change to fit there needs.

ex: I do not like tacos, thus Taco Bell should start serving hamburgers!

tl;dr: Good, does what it sets out to do and does it well.

note: Why do people keep screaming more content when all the extra stuff is rarely ever used?

Ex: Most shooters only ever have 2-3 actively played maps with a different one only played once in a great while.  Heck, CS:GO only has one active map really.

I still remember playing Unreal Tournament 2004 and even with all the maps it had, most of the time only the same 3 were picked.

Uzuki likes this.
  11. Mage Heart

First Language:
    English
    @AwesomeCool It is $60 for playstation and xbox. They only sell the Origin edition.

AwesomeCool likes this.
  12. N-Game Arts

N-Game Arts Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @AwesomeCool
    As Mage Heart said, it's $60 for PS4 and Xbox one
    http://www.amazon.com/Overwatch-Origins-PC/dp/B017L187YG/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1462763107&sr=1-1&keywords=overwatch

I'll gladly take a 3 hour single-player campaign then one not at all.
    I want a story to give me a reason to fight... Without it, the game and characters  are meaningless... I hate being poped on the battlefield and someone tell me to shoot the other team, because he said so!
    and NO, you can't put the story on some Movie or Online site or anywhere... it has to be on the game.

I'd agree to that if this was a no name company... I'd be way more forgiving.
    But Blizzard has been around way to long to release this half-ass sheep at full price or even at 40 bucks
    And VERY subjective to say most everyone would not play the Story... well if they spend more time at it, then wasting time making those stupid Youtube short video clips and make it into a the single-player campaign.

Where I see other Game Studios bust their ass to make both a good  single-player campaign and online multiplayer
    Naughty Dog, From Software, Bungie (Halo), RockStar...
    so no, not forgivable how lazy they are going about it.

I'd never eat at Mcdonalds which is pretty much Bethesda with their lazy ass game making.
    Mcdonalds makes half-ass food that BARELY can be crossed as FOOD, like  Bethesda games and Overwatch
    Where Applebees your getting well cooked put together with time love and not bring it out to you broken or half a product.
    I'd gladly pay top price for that...

No, restaurant should ever change cause they don't have what you want.
    But, no restaurant should ever bring out it's food half-assed and still charge full price or even half price.

I'm not sure what your on about on content in game and most not being used.
    I play and do everything in a game or at lest try anyway... What your talking about are "Casual gamers" who don't give a sheep and only care about their instant gratification.

I'm fine with that... I'm opposed to updates and DLC.
    I never update my games or download DLC even if it's free... (I only forgive those things when its a indie product)
    A game and product should be 100% done for it is released to the people.

I live by a code... if my NES console and/or NES game didn't need it then. Then no console and/or game should need it now.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2016
  13. AwesomeCool

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @N-Game Arts - " And VERY subjective to say most everyone would not play the Story... well if they spend more time at it, then wasting time making those stupid Youtube short video clips and make it into a the single-player campaign."

Not according to Steam's data (and Microsoft, plus Sony implies it).

source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/17/gdc-most-players-donat-finish-games

Most people do not even finish the story (and instead just spend the rest of there time in the multiplayer).  You can blame it on casuals or whatever, but if they didn't pay attention to the majority, they would be the next THQ (read: gone) due to the high amount of money a AAA game takes.

Other then that,  I can say you are going to Taco Bell (Overwatch) and complaining that they don't serve hamburgers (single player).  You could go to a place that does, and the workers (Blizzard Developers) are confused as to why you just don't do that.  For the company (Blizzard itself) never intended that for there restaurant and are targeting a different group (people who like multiplayer TF2 style games) then what you want.

Just go to one of the many restaurants (other games) that fit your needs, instead of forcing one that doesn't fit into something it is not (especially with how many people are enjoying it and would rather have more multiplayer stuff then have Blizzard spend take away resources for new stuff for the single player).

14. Missile

Missile Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I can understand wanting a single player mode. Though to be fair TF2 was 40$ when it came out too. 60$ just for a few extra skins is a little silly.

Game's great, though. Predicting Bastion nerf at release.

AwesomeCool likes this.
  15. Mage Heart

First Language:
    English
    Bastion is not that hard to beat. People have to learn you have to switch heroes to counter other heroes.

AwesomeCool likes this.
  16. The_Trinity

The_Trinity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

The issue is that he has no real hard counter. Genji's reflect counters, and that's about it. People SAY Tracer's sticky is a counter, but if you have someone playing Bastion who knows how to track, Tracer isn't going to get that sticky anywhere close to him to deal enough damage to take him out. Honestly, Bastion's heal ability needs nerfed. It's so freaking dumb you can continously spam E to autoheal.

AwesomeCool likes this.
  17. AwesomeCool

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

I agree, but he isn't fun to fight.

He literally dictates his enemies team by himself.  Which should never happen with just one character.

If a team should be force to switch strategies, it should be because of the entire enemy team or at least a few of them and not one.

Also, he takes a ton more effort to counter when the strategy with Bastion is really easy to do.  Which is a balance issue in itself (should be as easy to counter as it is to execute).

18. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Bastion is only a pain when paired with like, Reinhardt and a support to heal him. In general he is not hard to counter, even with characters who don't traditionally "counter" him. Bastion is a noobstomper. Once you know how to beat him, he isn't that annoying without some support.

If anything Reinhardt and Mei are the especially annoying characters to fight, especially on maps with very strong chokepoints.

And honestly, I'd agree on the "If you wanted single player, you should be looking at a different game". Overwatch is a team based vs shooter. That is what it is. It isn't trying to be anything else. Its like if someone picked up a single player RPG and bemoaned the lack of online multiplayer. It is a nonsensical argument. Its fine if the game isn't for you, but there is nothing wrong with a game being exclusively what it intends to be.

AwesomeCool and Guardcraft Games like this.
  19. Astel

Astel The (grey) knight with that funny look Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My thoughts on Overwatch? Tracer is cute.

Does that count? :unsure:

20. Missile

Missile Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Played a game earlier where 5 of us picked bastion. The entire enemy team switched to Genji and Junkrat and barely won (it was down to the last 5 seconds or so in both rounds). Anecdotal (and only like level 12's or so) and all, but so were void rays at SC2 launch and wyverns at WC3 launch, still got the nerfhammers. Think the biggest issue was just how dramatically the other team had to totally alter their entire play just because the defending team picked all bastion.

Hope Blizzard doesn't get "too" balance-happy with this game, though. It's nice when everything feels overpowered in their own way.