Thoughts on Overwatch?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by block1, May 6, 2016.

1. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The game is about playing counters. What your opponent plays should change your style of play.

Also, several characters can do lob "grenade' indirect style attacks that make Bastion useless as they don't require line of sight, just knowing where someone is is enough.

I've killed Bastions with clever flanking D.Va and Reaper. And those are not ideal characters to take him out with. It's not impossible.

@Astel, well you aren't wrong? (though I mostly think of her as "STAY STILL FOR TWO SECONDS SO I CAN SHOOT YOU AURGHHHHH")

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2016
  2. Missile

Missile Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Right, but their change barely worked - pointed out Junkrat and Genji which are both "hard" counters, and it took 5 of us 0 effort to just sit around in turret mode. Of course it's not impossible, but the effort involved seems lopsided at lower levels, which is probably why it works so well vs. new players.

Not saying he SHOULD be nerfed though (which he already was in closed beta) - only a prediction.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2016
  3. Espon

Espon Lazy Creator Veteran

First Language:
    Gibberish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I played for a bit during the alpha but it wasn't my cup of tea.  I think it's because I suck at most PvP games.

4. TheAlexG

TheAlexG Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yes... Yes, it does. Also, as much as I agree with this, I find D.Va cuter. 

5. Zeriab

Zeriab Huggins! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    The orange box was 50$ (minus a couple of cents because reasons)

It included more than than just TF2 (* for first released with The Orange Box)

• Half-Life 2
    • Half-Life 2: Episode One
    • *Half-Life 2: Episode Two
    • *Portal
    • *Team Fortress 2

Not that I think the price point for Overwatch is unfair, mind you. It's just, I remember that The Orange Box felt like really good value back then.

Might give Overwatch a try, but at the same time. Don't need more delectable distractions.

Alexander Amnell and AwesomeCool like this.
  6. AwesomeCool

AwesomeCool Bratty and spoiled little sister Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Zeriab - Not to say your point isn't valid or anything, but Half Life 2 was released 3 years earlier prior to the Orange box.

Plus I do not think people should compare games released so far back to games of today, as costs and development times have increased rapidly since then.

I mean, Look at how big the Daggerfall was compared to Skyrim.  It doesn't mean Skyrim is massively overpriced, just it has become harder to make games and thus games have been shrinking.

7. Zeriab

Zeriab Huggins! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP

The price of Overwatch would have been a normal price for a game back then as well.

If anything, it's rather interesting how the price of the AAA games have stayed pretty much the same.

8. amaSenpai

amaSenpai LP: amaSenpai Veteran

First Language:
    English
    As terrible as I am in the game, I find it really fun. I love all the small things they put in, like tagging and shooting basketballs into hoops... however useless that is.

Mei is just the cutest! I tend to play D.Va just because I can "die" a few times with her popping in and out of her mech.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2016
  9. TheAlexG

TheAlexG Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I support this. As a side note, it's also fun to get your ult to 100%, watch the enemy team group up on an objective, and then jet towards them while also activating your ult as D.Va. It turns your mech into a very strong missile. If anything, it's fun to just see everyone just cheese it. 

Also, Mercy is probably one of the better support. Then again, she's my kinda supporter.

After beta and all, I've found the game enjoyable, and do play quite a bit. I got it for a friend yesterday, and he's been playing it quite a bit too. Some balance is needed, but that's typical for most new games. 

Uzuki and AwesomeCool like this.
  10. amaSenpai

amaSenpai LP: amaSenpai Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Oh man, I'll have to try the D.va missile. It sounds amazing

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
    AwesomeCool likes this.
  11. TheAlexG

TheAlexG Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If you're lucky and hit someone, or someones, you get your mech back instantly, which makes it doubly awesome. 

12. The_Trinity

The_Trinity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Actually, once your mech explodes, it gives it back to you instantly whether you killed someone or not. You just have to stay alive until it does though

TheAlexG likes this.
  13. TheAlexG

TheAlexG Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

Either they changed that at some point, or I just died too many times from the explosion to notice. None the less, thanks. Good to know. 

14. Goldschuss

Goldschuss The creator of Lye Bastion Veteran

First Language:
    German
    I really like overwatch, I'm going to feel like this is going to be the WoW or LoL of shootergames in terms of popularity.

I have aerial superiority!

Your Pharah

15. TheAlexG

TheAlexG Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    WoW, not so much. LoL, most definitely, considering that strategy and the knowledge of who counters who and what not, is concerned. You see the game compared very much to LoL for this reason, among others.