Thoughts on Social Networking in sims

The Art of Gaming

Owner of the Green Tunic in Dreamland
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Not sure if this is the best place to put this but I have to ask. What do you think about having social media, texting and calls in games? Is it annoying and/or tedious for you to have social media in a game or is it something cool that you appreciate?

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Depending how it's done, it can be really, really cool. I appreciated in-game emails in a few DS games telling me of new events that were occurring in the game (this wasn't a freemium or anything either, it was just timed events) because they were immersive and a very intuitive way of allowing the player to interact with the character(s). Texts are the same. Non-intrusive is the best way to do it, given that you can ignore emails and texts in real life too.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think "social media" (the kind of "always-on" network that's different than texts or calls) would be an incredible and very fun thing to have in a life simulation game, if done right.  I think it would be so, so hard to do well, though, just because of the incredible amount of content you'd have to build into it to make it feel the slightest bit realistic.  That's why I don't plan to ever include such a thing in my games - even a world that seems to be set in the near future is going to be different enough from ours to justify not having that kind of modern consumer tech.  Similarly, unless it's a game set on the frontier of space, I'd hesitate to include features like a Google Earth system or the modern internet or automatic guns.  They remove too many of the mysteries, adventures, and struggles that we find interesting in games.  If done perfectly, they'd probably be great features... but how do you do something like that perfectly, in a way that keeps the game interesting?  Maybe some people will disagree with me, but as a general rule, I feel like the world of a few hundred years ago was a much more ripe place for adventure (per se) than the world of today.

Anyway, I'm being  bit of a grump above, but I really like your idea to start a topic like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Remember when those annoying weak pokemon trainers would keep calling you for re-matches to see how they're doing?

Number deleted.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well, as long as it's not a medieval game and as long as there actually exists a sound reason as to why the game has social media, then go on.

Heretic86

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Engrish
Primarily Uses
It is annoying in games as it is in real life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Evil7 added!

I did a bit of a remake on one of the maps, also I made a particle for jumping into the portal, and one for traveling through the portal. I'll probably add more sparkles later to embellish it. :LZSwink:
Polished the animation and added details :kaojoy:
Ami
What do you think about the Wood Bridge inside of Volcano?
Yet another gaming question, i'm currently playing Last of Us 2 and want to get another game to play next but can't decide between Ghost of Tsushima, Miles Morales & Jedi Fallen Order. After the latest mandalorian i AM on a star wars kick, but i also LOVED the last spiderman game that prequels Miles Morales. Ghost of Tsushima is the bottom of my list but i heard it was AWESOME. Just want a good story & fun gameplay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vongolavxv