Thoughts on textbox placement consistency

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by Traveling Bard, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Traveling Bard

Traveling Bard The Bard Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So, in my game I try to stay consistent with the placement of textboxes by having them be on the bottom; however, when one of the characters has a "thought to themselves" or are "reliving a memory" I switch the textboxes to the top placement + dim background to show this. How do you feel as a developer about this? Does this break flow? Is it tacky? Should I keep the dim background to show that it's a thought and keep it bottom placement? Or does it work as is for what I'm trying to accomplish?

Thoughts?

2. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Personally, I prefer to use italics for thoughts and when I use them I keep the bottom placement.

Middle could work too but top placement may be a little too high. I only use it for tutorial messages.

That's my 2 cents. Everyone has his habits.

3. Mouser

Mouser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    What matters is consistency.  I suppose there's some off the wall stuff you could do that wouldn't make sense at all, but if your characters always 'think' at the top of the screen, your players will get used to that pretty quickly. Just don't change it midstream and you should be fine.

4. servantb7

servantb7 Servantb7 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Whether or not you have it at the top of the screen, I like the dim background idea. It's smart to have something that distinguishes thoughts from dialogue.

5. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I normally put them on the middle with dim background... or use Yanfly's gab script

Conclusion: as long as all "thoughts" will be handled that same way, it's fine

6. Traveling Bard

Traveling Bard The Bard Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thank you for the insight, everyone! I'll leave the thoughts as is and just keep that part consistent.