AeroPergold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So I have been spending some time putting in thought on how to streamline game development.

When I make games, I usually work my way up a plot starting with the the first level, first town, second level, third level, second town, and onwards and forwards until the last level with the final boss. Along the way adding enemies and spending a few off days to make side content such as optional dungeons and sidequests.

So I wondered what I could do differently and this is what I came up with:

1. Make all plot important dungeons and locations, no enemies and minimal event programing (just transfers and maybe chests
  2. Make towns and non-essential non-dungeon locations
  3. Add enemies and more event programing in dungeons

Also I wondered how I could do sidequests differently as I could spend up to three days making around 7 sidequests and a handful of dungeons. All I could think of is to improve pre-planning as to what kinds of sidequests will be available in certain areas at certain times.

I'm always looking to increase efficiency in development because I want to do more in less time so I can focus more time on other things and to squeeze larger projects in less time. That is not to say I want to rush games as rushing things may negatively impact quality (even if I released my last two completed projects a bit early but that's mostly because I got too excited and released them, opps). It just about how I could balance scope, project size and time management.

Idk, what are your thoughts, Community-at-large.

bjorn56

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
With my game, I'd start with the main story and stuff. When I would get board, I would switch to side quests until I got board with that. It weirdly works well ( at least with my game) because it would always keep stuff fresh.

AeroPergold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
With my game, I'd start with the main story and stuff. When I would get board, I would switch to side quests until I got board with that. It weirdly works well ( at least with my game) because it would always keep stuff fresh.
I'll take that as a new tactic. Years ago I bore every easily so I had a system where I would make a game as fast as I could before I could get bored. That changed like four or five years ago.

But this sounds like a great idea.

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I find something that helps me get through more branching events in game is to use a program like:
to make flowcharts of progression. Every time I get done with a "summary" bubble, I change the color to indicate that I'm finished. It gives me a real sense of progression with my work rather than just feeling like I'm spinning my wheels getting nowhere. It generally helps to be able to see what you've gotten done vs what you need done.

a3xgf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I find something that helps me get through more branching events in game is to use a program like:
to make flowcharts of progression. Every time I get done with a "summary" bubble, I change the color to indicate that I'm finished. It gives me a real sense of progression with my work rather than just feeling like I'm spinning my wheels getting nowhere. It generally helps to be able to see what you've gotten done vs what you need done.
Isn't this similar to Trello? I used Trello in the past for a project unrelated with RPG Maker, and it is really useful a tool of this type to track down progress. Now, I think I need to set up a Trello for my project, even if it is just for myself.

PD: Trello is free to use.

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Isn't this similar to Trello? I used Trello in the past for a project unrelated with RPG Maker, and it is really useful a tool of this type to track down progress. Now, I think I need to set up a Trello for my project, even if it is just for myself.

PD: Trello is free to use.
Is it? To be clear, Inspiration is not a planner, it's a flow chart program.

a3xgf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Is it? To be clear, Inspiration is not a planner, it's a flow chart program.
Well, I guess they are different, several years without using Trello. Trello is more simple, although it works well to organize projects to increase efficiency, and thus, useful for a lot of people. Probably, Inspiration is even better to organize since it has flow chart, but the price is quite expensive, so it isn't affordable by everyone here. For those with enough budget, it isn't a bad idea if they need better organization.

I am sure there must be alternatives with less price or even free for flowcharts, for users that doesn't need too much advanced features and work without budget.

Edit: Without googling too much I found one called Draw.io that allows for flowcharts. It looks quite simple, but it may be enough for some people.

TheOnlyLlama

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What I'm doing is I'm drawing a timeline. Let's say I'm planning the chapter of my game. I'll make a timeline with all events, conversations, and mandatory tasks that will push the story forward. Once I've done that I can see where I can put some side content.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Tempted to come up with a unique spell naming system....But ''Fire Magic'' and ''Fire,Fira,Firaga'' are so easily recognizable :p
Yesterday I discovered that I can copy/paste multiple commands by holding shift. I tried this when I started developing holding ctrl and when it didn't work I just copied every single command one by one. For two years.

I am in heaven now.
All right, so lesson learned. No more complicated battle systems for me.
Whew, just finished a whirlwind of deadlines. Finally a tiny break. You know...I should go update my 2020 banner now.
image_2021-06-16_153010.png

Why are barrels to difficult? xD I feel like i Barrel...y made it....eh EHHH!? :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akihiikko