Zakarijah

I love making maps!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it depends purely on the context of your game's world. Mine's a futuristic/post-modern affair where a LOT of technology has been lost and the world functions on what they believe is 'magic'.

So I didn't want to have 'fantastical' hair colors and I think everyone in my main cast has brown, black, blonde, and red hair.

But previous things I've worked on, I always used hair colors (along with other features) to denote a different humanoid race. So elves would have more pastel-colored hair that's purple, blue, silver, whereas normal humans would have more jewel-toned or muted shades of blue, green, purple, etc.

Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm a total kiss-ass for this trope. Actual, total kiss-ass. There's so many characters I have, human and non-human, that have these hair colors, be it singular or multiple. It's fun.

In one setting, I implied that some of it is dyed, and some of it is their natural color. Honestly the one way I can really justify it in hindsight is "hehe genetics go brr" XD

HB_Games

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I believe it really depends of the "guidelines" you set for the reality of your setting.

Maybe in the reality of your story characters can have colored hairs and that's no need for explanation. But if you see a green haired girl in the Game of Thrones you would possibly ask for an explanation for this. And this goes beyond hair colors. In Dragon Ball's world there are a lot of anthropomorphized animals (like Oolong, for example) and there's no need to explain this because that is normal in that reality.

A thing to be aware is that the reality guidelines you choose for your setting might limitate the potential public for your project. Some people would like to read an adult story with swords, magic, sex, intrigue and backstabbing but would instantly avoid it if the characters are all animeish girls with colored hairs (and some would read because of this).

Well, I would just define the guidelines for the reality of my project's setting and be consistent with it.

Hope I could help.
Good luck in your project!

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
to make things a bit less jarring
I actually tend to find it more jarring when everyone has the same color. Most 'realistic' games I see just take variations of brown or otherwise tend to have a washed out gradient. Plus, the reason for it being in anime still applies; It's another tool to help differentiate characters.

SGHarlekin

Orc Jester
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I mean, hair dye exists. Hair dye may exist in any magical medieval world as well. Would be boring watching the characters dye their hair every week in anime/games though.

But yeah, I'm in he "have all the colors" camp here. It's too great a tool to make distinct characters. (Especially when working with rtp sprites.)

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
hair colors in anime have a reason to be.
in a place where most of the people has dark hair, if the works they create would have realistic colors, they would be pretty bland.

it's another tool to shape characters with, in the whole of design.
the Greeks put masks on, the Italians and French wore crazy outfits... the Japanese use bright hair colors.

(side note: you can still kinda spot the different shades in real Japanese hair, especially in long manes, like, from a group of women. It's very subtle, but there are shades of blue, brown and red there. The bright colors are just the anime style cranking those up to 11)

Last edited:

AeroPergold

RPG Maker Nutcase
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I always go for the unatural rainbow because its just fun to make fun characters with quirky hair colors. But I do see everyone's point. Natural looks best if you're going for realism. But I like being unrealistic in my game but that's the beauty of making your own games, you decide what your characters are gonna look like.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

For the first real time since my game's inception I found myself actually having fun playing around with my party's skills while testing out some battles! So much so, that I actually forgot what I was doing for a minute and had to force myself to move on to the next thing! :guffaw:

That's got to be a good sign considering it only has place holder animations, enemy skills, troop comps, etc. right now. Feels good!
Bex
Finally upgraded to RMMZ.
ScreenShot_11_28_2022_7_52_34.png
FINALLY, I figured out how to get the "tail" to appear IN the window and not directly below it lol. now it looks like it's part of the window and not hanging from the bottom of it.
Twitch! Stream is about to go live with some Dark Souls 2! Feel free to drop by!
Has anyone ever wanted to choose how they play? I've been working on Black Moon, a project where you can fight against ancient beasts by commanding an army of former gods and goddesses. But what makes it different is that there are different ways to give your choice heroes either Red, Green, or Blue weapons/armor, and each grants different abilities. More coming soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hahah520