Thoughts on using Sample Maps [VX Ace]

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've put a lot of hours into RPG Maker in the past (Not sure which one I first started on, but it was at least 10 years ago from a friend), with most of my time in RPG Maker VX and one thing I've realized that some people just CAN'T do is map. Maybe it's them not looking at the big picture or just not creative enough, but some people just cannot produce a fun and/or dynamic map. So now that we have Ace and it comes with a ton of Sample Maps, I'm wondering how the community, both new people and vets alike, feel about people making a game completely (or almost completely) with sample maps?

I personally like creating my own, but was thinking of making a short game with them just to get used to the changes in VX Ace as it would take a lot of the long hours out of the project while still allowing me to tell the story I want.

What do YOU think?

starcrescendo

Stargazer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm happy to see the Sample Maps! I don't have problems with mapping, but there's just so much stuff to map! At the very least I can say, "OK, I want this cutscene to take place in an Inn" and boom select an Inn Sample Map and start working on my cutscene, then edit the map later. It's nice to have some drop in solutions for basic buildings and rooms. However, I find that the sample maps are a bit too big for my tastes though, so I will have to edit them anyway.

But, now I wonder if there is a way to make your own sample maps? Or some super good mapper could distribute a "sample map set" of pre-filled dungeons, etc.? I'm sure some people will have the completely different view of the sample maps, but I for one think they're a great addition, and one that I plan to make use of.

They're new now, but when theres thousands of games out there wth the same exact maps, I'm sure my opinion may change a little. But I certainly wouldn't use them exactly as is.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't see anything wrong with it, really. If you're not into mapping and the sample maps provide what you need, go for it. I wouldn't want to see a LOT of games using the same maps, but that is EXACTLY the idea of the WoRMVX project, and I think that is a great idea.

Personally, I'm using the sample maps to learn how to map in VX Ace. I'm choosing one that I like, or that looks like it has an interesting technique, and trying to reproduce it exactly. There are some neat tricks that I've picked up that I didn't know how to do before (of course, I was using XP, so I didn't HAVE to know how to do them).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I was thinking the same thing about once there are hundreds of games using the sample maps, but even a novice map maker could edit the sample maps to be different enough, which is what I was thinking for myself.

But, now I wonder if there is a way to make your own sample maps? Or some super good mapper could distribute a "sample map set" of pre-filled dungeons, etc.?
Looking through Program Files > Enterbrain > RPGVXAce > SampleMap it sure seems like you could just drop a map into there and get it into that menu, but I haven't tried it.

AstoXx

Subconscious Punmaster
Reaction score
First Language
Logic
Primarily Uses
I've taken on the challenge of making a RTP-only project with as minimal custom input as possible, as a little experiment, so... right now, I'm sort of depending on them. Hopefully, there won't be an influx of games using only sample maps as they are only supposed to provide a SAMPLE of the types of mapping one can achieve. I reckon it's a great idea, however, as it makes game making that little bit less daunting to complete beginners who can't map at all.

arcana23

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've taken on the challenge of making a RTP-only project with as minimal custom input as possible, as a little experiment, so... right now, I'm sort of depending on them. Hopefully, there won't be an influx of games using only sample maps as they are only supposed to provide a SAMPLE of the types of mapping one can achieve. I reckon it's a great idea, however, as it makes game making that little bit less daunting to complete beginners who can't map at all.
I read about your idea; and, not to piggy-back on it but I am focused on using all the games resources to make a simple short game to showcase my music. That said I don't plan to take the maps as-is but to adjust for my music needs. I hope not to mimic your idea but I just want people to know my music capabilities and sound effects, i.e. all sounds will be generated by my own hands, virtual or not!

Radscythe

The Hachimata
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
If it's better than what you can do or you just want to make a quick game for fun, then I say go for it.

But, keep in mind that you can map pretty well with practice and feedback from those who know what they are doing. It's not really a skill you should avoid if you're serious about posting games on any RPG Maker forum.

Back then I would have loved sample maps since I hated mapping, but it's still good that I'm not a total newbie mapper anymore.

amerk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I may use the sample maps for a base, but I prefer making them feel like my own. On the other side, I'm happy with the graphical side of the RTP this time to the point of not feeling awkward if I use them.

jaypee

hobbyist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
I've put a lot of hours into RPG Maker in the past (Not sure which one I first started on, but it was at least 10 years ago from a friend), with most of my time in RPG Maker VX and one thing I've realized that some people just CAN'T do is map. Maybe it's them not looking at the big picture or just not creative enough, but some people just cannot produce a fun and/or dynamic map.
lol I have just posted a preset maps that I will be using for my upcoming game.

Count me in! I really have terrible skills when it comes to mapping and im glad ace saves my day... literally! I wouldnt mind seeing a preset maps being used by other people in the game after all its your game and it all up to you on how you can spice up those preset maps. I was browsing the preset map and noticed they pretty much have everything( I hope) I need right now for my game, its very well made and it may even take months or year before I can even create my own map that will match those mapping presets.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lorenze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use sample maps, but since a lot of them are quite boring, I like to

spice them up and edit them heavily. Heck, one of the 'towns' in my game was

created out of dungeon from the sample map!

Basically, I think it's fine to use them, but at least try to edit them a bit, y'know?

bluntsword

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Depends, I've seen (and been responsible for) some pretty terrible mapping. I'd prefer to see a sample map over a terrible one!

If they are needed as a crutch to start with I think that's ok. I think it'll help give people ideas to start with or at least show how to plan a map well. As long as they are edited like avvy says, I doubt people will mind.

ngzfirlo67

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I usually use them more of as a template, then I go onto editing them to make them look the way I want to. I have trouble mapping as well, and rely on the sample maps to give me a base on what the map should look like.

Hope that helped!

-ngzfirlo67

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
ngzfirlo67, please refrain from necro-posting in a thread. Necro-posting is posting in a thread that has not had posting activity in over 30 days. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Based on this screenshot alone, which one would you sell, and which to equip?
Some random sketch-letons.

I have a strong urge to make a tutorial video of all the random things I've learned since starting on my game. little helpful tips and stuff that may help people.
Do you guys think it's better to have all members in your team from the beginning (then you can pick who battles) or you gain team members as the story goes?
PL: Patch polonizujący do RPG Makera 2003 prawie gotowy! Mamy przetłumaczoną bazę danych (projekt), polskie fonty, wiadomości walki i jakieś 90% edytora.
Do przetłumacznia pozostało te 10% edytora i plik pomocy. Niedługo więcej informacji!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerilate