Three different questions (newer ones than before)

Stefanos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Now for a problem that I have no idea how to resolve: Multiple kinds of "death", such as "arrest" and "extinguish" that are enemy-specific.

How can one make it such that one can only "arrest" robbers and "extinguish" fires and not vice-versa? I would like to assign such roles to my party members that the constable is necessary for handcuffing the robbers, while firefighters can help in hosing them down to make the constable's job easier. I just cannot think of a way to make that happen!

I also have an issue with assigning my party members their standard attacks based on their roles and weapons. For a game this simple, I would rather have these personalised functions be accessible through the standard "Attack" function if I can avoid having an extra "Special" menu. This I feel may be due to having my wires crossed somewhere.

Additionally, I would like to be able to have the presence of random encounters contingent on the presence of field enemies. Is it possible to make a map property such as this contingent on the presence of field events?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
To have different attack skills for individual actors, you will need a script. The simplest and most straightforward is Vlue's Set Guard/Attack Skills, which you can find here.

Probably the simplest way to have e.g. only the policeman be able to handcuff someone (assuming this is out of battle) would be for the thief to have a condition in its event which checks the actors in the party. If the policeman is there, have some dialogue where he arrests the thief, if not, something else. But we need a bit more detail to come up with more precise suggestions.

EDIT
Just noticed your last question.
Insofar as you decide if there are random encounters on any particular map, you could only enable them on maps where you have the necessary type of field events. But again, it would be helpful to have more detail - what sort of field event are you referring to?

Stefanos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
To have different attack skills for individual actors, you will need a script. The simplest and most straightforward is Vlue's Set Guard/Attack Skills, which you can find here.

Probably the simplest way to have e.g. only the policeman be able to handcuff someone (assuming this is out of battle) would be for the thief to have a condition in its event which checks the actors in the party. If the policeman is there, have some dialogue where he arrests the thief, if not, something else. But we need a bit more detail to come up with more precise suggestions.

EDIT
Just noticed your last question.
Insofar as you decide if there are random encounters on any particular map, you could only enable them on maps where you have the necessary type of field events. But again, it would be helpful to have more detail - what sort of field event are you referring to?

The script looks helpful, but I am working with the Lite version, unfortunately, which does not allow script modification. This also answers other questions I had, which is on the one hand great, but on the other hand disappointing, because apparently I cannot translate certain texts.

Actually I was thinking of the handcuffing taking place in battle (necessitating an alternate in-battle "death" state), with a success rate that improves with the firefighters' help. If this is too difficult, then perhaps it may have to occur outside of battle.

If a house is on fire, there are the roots of the fires (field events that initiate battle upon touch) and the surrounding embers (the random encounters).

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
For your house on fire, in the event which starts the fire, use the 'Change Encounter' command on the third tab of the Event Command menu and select 'enable'. This will start the random encounters. You will need to remember to change it back again so that it is not also operating on other maps. Maybe in your transfer event which takes the player out of the map?

Stefanos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For your house on fire, in the event which starts the fire, use the 'Change Encounter' command on the third tab of the Event Command menu and select 'enable'. This will start the random encounters. You will need to remember to change it back again so that it is not also operating on other maps. Maybe in your transfer event which takes the player out of the map?

Thank you so much for your help thus far! Today I got a lot done, including the selectively enabled random encounters. It works to some degree, but I am sure it can be improved.

As for the "arrests", perhaps they should occur outside of battle while the constable can be on healing duty in-battle while awaiting his shining moment. The firefighters could perhaps cause robbers to slip and fall, enabling the arrest outside of battle.

I am also trying to figure out how to automatically trigger this cutscene in which a robber is seen exiting a building with his wares. I want it to be triggered once the player exits the green-roofed building on the right with the letter in hand (the item under the conditions).

I know that the IGMC has its own threads, but they are so big that I cannot help but wonder if and how people can read all of them. I also don't know if those are the places to ask if a project done on a Lite version like this has a chance. I am very much an "ideas" person, while execution has typically not been my strong suit, so how much does the execution matter? I am sure it can only improve one's chance, but is it absolutely necessary? This was originally designed for my Finnish-speaking godson, but I would have no problem translating it into English (especially since I cannot have everything in Finnish anyway, unless I commit to an upgrade).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-10-20 23.34.26.png
    Screenshot 2017-10-20 23.34.26.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 1

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You should really only ask one question per thread, and give it a meaningful title.

That way you don't have 3 conversations going on at once, confusing people. You know when a question has been answered and the thread can be closed. And other people who are searching for a similar thing won't see a thread in their search results called "three different questions" and wonder if there's actually anything useful in there. People can also get an idea before even entering the thread whether they can help you or not.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Can hopefully move onto doing visual effects and sound design now. :kaophew:

The latest RPG Maker Games Critique with Studio Blue starts now! Let's jump into Kamigami: Clash of the Gods!

Title Screen 100% Finished
Evangeline.png
I'm starting to enjoy doing pixel art! Not to mention it's getting easier to do commissions :kaojoy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Senetix