alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It'd be cool if you could implement a keyword typing system, where the player could type in any word and see if they can get a reaction. Dunno how much work that'd be, though... and there is a certain charm to getting keywords like items, and getting to use them. Also, props for not making your story dependent on them pesky words! :biggrin:

deficiencyproductionz

Deficiency Productionz
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It'd be cool if you could implement a keyword typing system, where the player could type in any word and see if they can get a reaction. Dunno how much work that'd be, though... and there is a certain charm to getting keywords like items, and getting to use them. Also, props for not making your story dependent on them pesky words! :biggrin:
That would be really unique, but the only way I know of doing that would be through name input processing (which would probably only function half the time and require a lot more work). I agree about the charm of obtaining keywords! Props appreciated!

deficiencyproductionz

Deficiency Productionz
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
New enemy screenshots! I've been making great progress lately.
Screenshot5.jpg
Created in a botched ritual meant to summon a god, this demon has been punishing humanity ever since.

Screenshot9.png
Beware the deep forest, where gremlins lurk in the shadows and swallow children whole.

Attachments

orange~

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
The new enemy art looks great! I wasn't so big on the designs on the first page, but this is definitely going to a cool direction. I'll be waiting for a demo for sure. I'm also trying to pull off a souls-like (kinda) on rpg maker, so it's interesting to see different takes on it.

deficiencyproductionz

Deficiency Productionz
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The new enemy art looks great! I wasn't so big on the designs on the first page, but this is definitely going to a cool direction. I'll be waiting for a demo for sure. I'm also trying to pull off a souls-like (kinda) on rpg maker, so it's interesting to see different takes on it.
Orange, thank you so much. I really appreciate hearing that from such an outstanding game developer :)

deficiencyproductionz

Deficiency Productionz
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
New screenshots, and major updates!

I recently sent a "proof of concept" build out to several testers, which was a big deal for me. Most things were recieved well, and this process really elightened me to the direction I should be taking with THRONE.

First of all, I'm significantly scaling back randomness. I think roguelike elements flew contrary to my core design philosophies. For instance, I love Dark Souls so much because it strove to give control to players. The fact items were always in the same place was part of the magic which made Dark Souls feel like a real world. Far more than knowing which items to purchase from a GUI, players got to know the exploration space. Item pickups also served as exposition, which is limited in a random system. I want to emulate this type of immersion as much as possible in THRONE, so only randomness in minor items will be retained moving forward.

Secondly, I have decided to lower the time limit to seven moons. Simply put, testers were not sufficiently driven to progress the plot. Previously, I was using a model pioneered by the indie game "Crypt Worlds", but I now realize its system only worked because it didn't take itself seriously. It is one thing to create a walking simulator with a fifty day time-limit, and another to flesh it out with immersive dungeons, fully rendered art, and a battle system. I still hold Crypt Worlds highly as a peice of art, don't get me wrong-- I just need to acknowledge that I'm creating a different type of experience. Because of plot and personal workload, Sol now rises in one week.

Lastly, a few bullets about the combat.
-Combat is more about survival than seeking rewards. Enemies do not respawn, and rarely reward you directly. This is to eliminate grinding for items.
-Running out of "Focus" (functionally stamina) cripples a party member until they sleep or use a rare recovery item. If players manage their focus effectively, this should not be too dangerous.
-Flasks will be refilled upon sleeping in a bed, similar to bonfires in Dark Souls.
-Weapons are now repaired and upgraded by a blacksmith instead of replaced
-Weapons and shields each have "Weapon arts", skills which take advantage of an item's unique attributes. Standard swords allow you to parry physical attacks, for example.
-Enemies will telegraph stronger attacks, allowing players to prepare in whichever way they prefer
-Some battles function more as interesting, potentially dangerous encounters
-I ended up completely rebalancing the enemies and skills. This might not seem relevant because I don't have a public build yet, but geez :p

Anyways, that's what's going on with THRONE right now. I feel like I've resolved some pretty long-standing "identity crises" here.

Screenshot13.png
Shield Knight Alhambre, guardian of the Eastern Sacrificial Pit.
Screenshot12.png
"Dristians", which can sap your focus to the point of exhaustion.
Screenshot11.png
Ser Kaine Jax of the hallowed Membré lineage, resurrected by proxy of serpent.
The complete demo is closer than ever! Thanks for your support <3

deficiencyproductionz

Deficiency Productionz
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was just really proud of this new boss screenshot! The old screenshots have been updated, now including a new portrait for the goddess' avatar.
screenshot16.png

Nagasari

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That art for the battler tho. Great work, bro. The quality is jaw dropping. I watched this.

deficiencyproductionz

Deficiency Productionz
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That art for the battler tho. Great work, bro. The quality is jaw dropping. I watched this.
Thanks, friend! It's really nice to hear you like what I create. The demo is getting closer every day, so this is the place to come for updates!

Tw0Face

Chief Executive Officer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This looks so interesting. I'll give it a play as soon as the game is released.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

just spent FOREVER troubleshooting an issue with my keyboard... turns out the cord was just loose OTL
I count on someone one time, I let them promise something to me, and one week later it's complete silence as I'm completely let down. I hate everything.
Everytime I need to write dialogues I find myself writing new music pieces... what kind of trick is this?!
Me Being Dumb spending hrs trying to figure out Irenas Visual Novel busts plugin..lol. I'm probably missing something stupid and obvious xDD

let the journey begin >w>
X.X ok... I guess I'll just have to think about 48x48 a little differently. Its not "room for more work"..."its room for more detail!...yay"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotADev