Tile at the same time behind and in front of character?

unknownnumber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Is it somehow possible to lay a tile (in this example a fence) at the same time behind and in front of the character?

When I approach a fence from behind, the character should be able to walk "behind" it:
IzSBJLg.png

But at the same time, when the player approaches the fence from the front, it should look like this:
caQXpdB.png

The only solution I found is using the star passability for the fence and disable being able to walk through it via the 4 direction movement (which works), but I end up in this situation:
qdpiJof.png

I know why this is happening, but I can't think of a way to solve it.
Is there any way (maybe via events?) to do this?

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There is a VE plugin that allows you to set certain tiles' priority as Same as character, which in other words does what you want it to do.

Tricimir

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Alternately, you can also just make them sprites.
As long as they're not running processes, it takes a LOT of events on a single map before frames start to drop.

unknownnumber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
There is a VE plugin that allows you to set certain tiles' priority as Same as character, which in other words does what you want it to do.

Thanks, I'll take a look at it, but would rather go without a plugin-based solution.

Alternately, you can also just make them sprites.
As long as they're not running processes, it takes a LOT of events on a single map before frames start to drop.

I'm not sure what you mean by "make them sprites". Could you explain what you meant?

Tricimir

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Place events on the map where you want the fence to be and give them the fence graphics from the tileset (you can select tiles from BCDE to become the graphics for an event.)
Set the event to "same as characters" and give it a custom move route that does not repeat that turns "Through" on.
You can now walk in front of it and you'll appear in front of it, or on the same tile and you'll appear behind it.
You'll probably need to do something with directional passiblity for the tiles below the events it so you can't just walk through them.
If you want something taller than a single tile, this also would work if your were to add the graphics to an actual character set. (though typically taller stuff is easier to work around with regular tile use.)

As long as you're not putting more than 100 of these things on a single map it shouldn't cause any significant lag.

unknownnumber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Ah I see what you mean now, thanks for explaining.
For the time being, I'll use VE, because after looking into it, there are some nice features that come with it.

Thanks to both of you.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Moving day is on May 12! A month from today! I'm finally getting my own apartment!
I made the logo and title screen for my game (Still rough but at least it's got a design now)
Eyy1s2gXIAMzfFN
Eyy1s2hXMAEmiRA
BCj
Whelp, it's been a while. Had another retina surgery on april 1st on my left eye. Well, 4 time's the charm, right? *recovery mode on*
The next JABS update will include ally AI and an aggro system.

Question:
What would YOU expect to happen if you had four+ party members in an ABS, all fighting either together or separately or a mix of the two, and the player hits "swap leader" button?
It currently pulls all followers to the player's location, removes all aggro towards enemies, and swaps them.
Time to wear a new face again...

Should keep things interesting huh? @EpicFILE :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaito199