Edgre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Running MV. Still just working on some maps. I'm using everything at the moment out of the box. No modifications to anything yet.

I don't quite understand this particular bit of terrain. From every other side, I can't walk onto it. But from the bottom, I can. I had set it up as my "town wall" but that doesn't quite appear to be working the way I anticipated. Maybe I'm not reading the database correctly, but it looks like it shows up with an X which means non-passable, right? I attached some small screen shots to hopefully make clear what I'm talking about. The first one is just a sample of the behavior and the second is a shot of the settings in the DB. What am I not understanding?

upload_2017-4-9_23-33-31.pngupload_2017-4-9_23-37-35.png

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Those wall tops are set up differently than other tiles to make it so you can move around on top without crossing the edges. All the edges are x but the middle isn't, basically. As far as I can tell you can't actually change those settings to make it entirely unwalkable. You can only walk onto it from below right?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is an intentional function to simulate a two-level-dungeon on a single-level-map. Those tiles are called "ceiling" tiles, not walltiles, because they are meant to be the top of walls and because of that they are walkable, but not directly accessable (you need an override like a ladder tile to get on to them if they're used as the wall-tops).

If you look at your screenshot of the tileset, you can even see that those tiles always look like the top of the real wall below them.

I suggest you follow the link to the starting point in my signature, that is one of the many special things in the software that I explained there.

Edgre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Sharm Yes, I can only get onto them from "below" the tile. (And can only leave the same way.) I didn't have a wall tile below it, just assuming (I know, bad things those assumptions) that I would not be able to get on it at all without a ladder or stairs, etc. I expected to have to use an event to have them get up to the city walls, and eventually talk to a guard patrolling, as a kind of info gather bit. Was a bit surprised in the initial test that I could just walk onto the wall top without needing anything. But only from one direction.

Ok, so let me check this. I need to have a real "wall" tile underneath this particular tile, otherwise you can move on and off these ceiling tiles from the bottom. At least, that seems to be how it's working.

@Andar I did check out that starting point link. (Very, very useful and helpful link, thank you!) I think I just misunderstood that section. I read it as, you would not be able to get on top at all unless you intentionally put a ladder/stairs to get up to the top layer. But I must have missed the part where it's expected that I put a wall tile below the ceiling tile. (I've been thinking of it as a catwalk, but same thing.) I added a wall tile underneath, and now it's working as I expected. Just means I had to shift around the layout a bit.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah, it's set up that way so that you can add ladders and go up. If it was set up like the other sides placing a ladder would get the sprite up the wall but it wouldn't be able to get on top of it.

Edgre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok, just did a bit more testing. I think I got it now. Thanks for the explanation. I had assumed I could just use a Stair tile, but that's not an option. So. Note to self, need to use ladders to go up and down, and as well, need to make sure a map has downfacing spaces that are accessible to change levels. Thanks both of you for the explanations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Wasting so much time trying to get a sprite behavior to work. I feel like banging my head against a wall.
Well... it’s been a real pain in the IRS today. :/
My kitty still young (3-4 months), I think I could teach her some funny tricks... like: "Play dead-ly good music for my games"
Here's a quality DPS class idea: The Beekeeper, who uses the "Bees!!" skill to attack and poison enemies.
Please don't create long, boring cutscenes in which characters do nothing but stand around talking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xafir