Tile Size and Doors - Do you need to change them if Character size changes?

ighrpg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Do you need to change them if Character size changes?
I am using a much larger character sprite size, larger than 48x48.
How does that effect the world they walk in?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yes and no - itdepends on what exactly you change.

all sprites are centered bottom. that means that for tall characters with the same width there is no need to change the grid as the collision will automatically center on the feet and look natural.

if you make the characters wider, then you better change the grid with a plugin.

the door size has only visible effects - they only need to change if they look strange to the people.
that depends on your artstyle and should be a simple resize, no coding needed.

NeptuneTron

The Salticid Scholar of the North
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RPGMaker doesn't actually measure how tall the character sprites are, it essentially treats all characters like a zero-dimensional point in space, and then puts the sprite on top of that point. As far as the computer is concerned, the character is only the point. This is true for both doors and the player character.

However, humans don't see the mathematical point that the computers use to define the character and their position. Humans only see the sprite, so as far as your players are concerned, the character is only the sprite.

As a consequence of this, the computer doesn't care how large the doors are in comparison the the characters. However, the same cannot be said of your players, who will probably expect the doors to be the same size as your characters, as it will look strange otherwise.

TL;DR If your character is larger than 48x48, but your doors stay at 48x48, the game will still function correctly, but it might look a little strange when they try to go through the door.

ighrpg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks, some good points to think about. So its about the character scale to the environment they are in.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I have made 60 new skills! ''after test'' I have made 3 new skills!

Made a new battleback this week! How's it look?
"This is the real secret to life - To be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play."
Me: "I don't to use other engines because I'd have to do a lot of coding."

Also my desktop right now....
mycurrentdesktop.jpg

...I literally spend more time using VS Code than MZ. :kaoswt:
actually, are there any JRPG type games (I guess turn based, so not ARPGs like say, Vagrant Story) where you have only one party member for the majority of the game? (I wonder if I'm forgetting something obvious.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raw2na