Tiled Tutorial (RPG Maker MV Edition)

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Tutorials' started by djDarkX, Jun 16, 2017.

1. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So you want to use the Tiled plugin to gain more control over your mapping but just aren't quite sure how to get started or might be scared you would break something? No worries! I've created a video tutorial to help you get started with the basics! It's nothing fancy, has me stuttering in a few places because I have the occasional brain fart and I even failed to get the map saved properly until about a minute afterwards, but it should still help you in getting started.

Please forgive the not-so-great audio quality and my general derpiness.

As an added bonus, when I get the chance, I will update this video to have more in-depth information. Right now, working with limited time, this was the best I could do, but I will update it later.

Note: The current version of the Tiled plugin is for 1.3.0+, meaning it works for any version of RPG Maker MV from 1.3.0 and above. So yes, you can use it in 1.5.0 without any issues. It's the version I'm using for the video. It can be seen when I bring up the plugin manager.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    Hyouryuu-Na, zephar123, Dalph and 4 others like this.
  2. Tea's Jams

Tea's Jams I'm human Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've watched about 11 min so far, must. sleep. now. This is really cool so far though, thanks for posting this! I can see why you're such a fan you can have a bunch of layers all under your feet, AND at character level, AND above character!!!! Very versatile! I look forward to seeing some of the maps you've created. : )

Also, I'm not going to lie, I caught myself wondering often if you're originally Canadian or if your parents speak Mandarin. Is that a Coloradan accent you have there?(never been.)

Anyway, I digress, good job! I'll be watching the rest tomorrow.

Susan, Guiguimu and djDarkX like this.
  3. djDarkX

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Actually, I'm originally from Texas, but I now live in Colorado. I never picked up the Texas accent, which is a good thing, but I'm actually hispanic, but sound more like a white guy. Funny how that works out, haha!

Anyway, yeah. When I get the chance, I'll be making a much better tutorial where I'm not tripping over my words as much and will show more of what the plugin and editor can do. What I should do it break it up into bite-sized tutorials to make it easier for the viewer. Since my computers, both my potato PC and my potato laptop, are really bad with both recording, editing and rendering video, I'll have to wait until my new PC is finished before I can redo it.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback and I hope to offer more soon. As for maps, I intend to release some RTP and free resource packed demos using the Tiled plugin to show what can really be done with it.

Susan, Tea's Jams and Guiguimu like this.
  4. Guiguimu

Guiguimu The best revenge is massive success Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I don't use MV but I can see how helpful this is for who uses it. In my opinion you explained very well, and that idea you have of releasing demos with resources is really nice (and again, helpful). So many struggle with maps, especially when using scripts and plugins... Thanks for this, if I buy MV I'll use your teachings for sure!

Susan, djDarkX and Tea's Jams like this.
  5. Tea's Jams

Tea's Jams I'm human Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Beautiful... just beautiful.

Question. Do you know if tiles can be tied to switches? With Doodads you can place an animated (or non animated) image and have it appear or disappear based on switches in game, I use that a lot for character animations.

If not, do you know if this plugin is compatible with YEP's doodad plugin? (I feel like I've asked this before... I can't remember)

Guiguimu, Susan and djDarkX like this.
  6. djDarkX

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Guiguimu, thanks for the feedback. If you do move to MV, hope this helps a lot. :D

@just1witness, that I know of, the Tiled plugin is compatible with all things Yanfly, so should be okay. Keep in mind, though, that this completely replaces a native map. If Yanfly's doodads relies on the native map, as in drawing them directly on it, then that would be a problem. Otherwise, should work just fine. I'll have to test it out myself and let you know. But as for the original question, I'm not sure. I know there is a way to hide tilesets and your doodads could be their own tileset for this case, but I'd have to test out how that works and get back to you on that.

Guiguimu, Tea's Jams and Susan like this.
  7. Susan

Susan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    No idea...
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Love this tutorial. Been looking forward to using TileD with MV for a long time, but didn't really have time to go all trial-and-error with the program and plug-in for more than an hour. Very comprehensive and informative, in my opinion. Thanks a lot for this! You rock! :kaojoy:

8. Eviticous

Eviticous Node Js Developer By Trade, FF14 Player By Heart Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I assume your sprites have to be VXACE or what ever Rpg Maker sprite size in which the tiles fit? Or does it resize sprites?

Guiguimu and djDarkX like this.
  9. djDarkX

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    In the case of this tutorial, I used Ace tiles and sprites in MV. The sizes of the tiles were completely unedited, as were the sprites used for the character in the video. When it comes to character graphics, both event and actor, the actual size of them doesn't matter as long as the sheets are sized properly. As for the tiles, that's the nice thing about Tiled. You can set the grid size and it'll change it in-game to fit that size. Now, I can't say for sure if you can have different grid sized maps working properly in the game, but it's worth checking out.

Either way, you don't have to conform to the default grid size. In fact, thanks to the object layer, I can pretty much have any tile size I want on the map and place it anywhere I want, assuming it won't be doing some weird overlapping and collision stuff. So, as long as you choose the grid size in Tiled, that's what it will be in your project, meaning that all those Ace resources can be used without resizing, in MV. They will appear as their native size.

EDIT:
    An interesting fact that confuse people was mentioned and I will be updating the first post with this info.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    Guiguimu and Susan like this.
  10. Eviticous

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I found an issue. So lets say you are remapping an area in TILED, yay, and you use ACE characters, yay ... The battle system falls apart because it expects specific animations. Even for the default battle systems. So .... What are the recommended suggestions for people using this for MV?

11. djDarkX

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, this is just for replacing mapping techniques. Your SV character sheets should remain the same, or be resized with the proper animation frames to fit, and this shouldn't affect battle animations since it's just for mapping. What exactly is the issue you're getting?

12. Eviticous

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh i wasn't it was just a question of "if I use ace in TILED then I have to use ace sprites to match, but MVs battle animations are different."

13. djDarkX

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ah, yes. The animation sheets would differ in style and look because Ace sprites don't exactly match MV SV battlers for, well, sideview. In that case, you could look towards artists and ask that sheets be made, either for your actors Ace-sized map sprites to match the SV battlers or the MV map counterparts, or if using the Ace default sprites, then battler sheets for those characters could be made instead.

The battler sheets would not be affected by the plugin, so the size would remain the same and even if, battler sheets can be any size as long as they have the proper amount of frames for animation for each pose and each frame is the same as size as the rest. In other words, if you follow the battler sheet guideline in the MV help file, then battlers can be bigger or smaller. Also, skill/spell animations are the same since there is no size difference between Ace and MV in this regard.