Tiles Overlapping

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by MagicDoogies, Feb 25, 2017.

1. MagicDoogies

MagicDoogies Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've looked all over the forums and I have seen similar issues but none seem to address my current issue.
    I'm not new to making tilesets, and I'm currently working on a project where I have made two already with no issue.

To clarify I'm making auto tiles, but I'm using the pre existing default document to place them all on file.

This has perfectly fine for the first two tilesets. But now the rest of them keep overlapping each other regardless of how seamlessly they match up in the document.

I have attached some examples below.

These are the tiles that aren't working:
    tile_help.JPG
    tile_help2.JPG
    tile_help3.JPG
    At this point I don't even care about the inner corners. I just want the actual tiles to work like they are supposed to. I don't even know why it suddenly started acting up. It's been driving me crazy and it's really frustrating. What changed? I didn't alter anything. My Photoshop has 'snap to grid' to ensure accuracy. And when I test it out within the program itself it tiles CORRECTLY here in RPGmaker the overlap is so extreme that it straight doesn't make sense. And it all just happened suddenly. For reference here is a much heavier detail oriented tile that doesn't do this. And I did nothing different with it.
    tile_help4.JPG tile_help5.JPG

2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    We have a forum which deals specifically with questions about creating resources, and I think this is better there. So...

I've moved this thread to Resource Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

3. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @MagicDoogies
    Can you specify which maker those autotiles are for? That information probably got lost in the topic move.

I'm asking because your gridlines indicate you're making an autotile for RMXP (which is based on 6x6 quartertiles), but your profile says you're using RMMV (which is based on 4x4 quartertiles for autotiles).
    An autotile formatted for RMXP will never work in RMMV, that might be the cause of your problems, especially since a 6x6-autotile based on 32-pixels (XP) will have the same size as an 4x4-autotile based on 48-pixels (MV), but they're completely different.

4. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The part that repeats is the stuff in the middle. You're getting confused results because you're mistaken about where exactly that middle begins and ends. In VX, Ace, and MV, an autotile isn't three tiles big, it's two. The corners are quarter tile size, the sides are half. So your grid is all wrong. This is why the tiles for these programs are boxier looking than the autotiles for XP. If you adjust your grid to the actual tile dimensions you'll be able to see the problem.

5. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  6. MagicDoogies

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm using RPG Maker MV, and the sizes of the tiles are (I'm assuming) based on the default tiles already present and working properly in the game. So I'm not going off on my own on that one.
    I guess I'm really confused because the first two tile sets worked out just fine and I didn't change my method at all. But the last two are just all over the place. I'm going to check out some of the comments on here to see how I messed up.

7. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    in that case, as we all guessed, you've used the wrong grid - that is why it is messed up.
    the link above for the Ace-autotiles will show you how to set up the grid for an MV autotile, just use a 24-pixel distance instead of a 16-pixel-distance between the lines.

8. MagicDoogies

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I see. I was basing my dimensions off of the default tiles. I looked to find what the center tiles of each set was and made a new one overtop it (on a new layer of course.) But I definitely saw a few that were two tiles wide or something. the default size of the document is 768x576. Under 'Grids and Guidelines' in preferences in Photoshop what should I set it to?

EDIT: Reading the resource now. Not gonna lie it's kind of really confusing. I was following it up until the whole mini tiles thing. Then I got completely lost. I guess I'll re-read it till I get it.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  9. MagicDoogies

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay I readjusted my Grids and Guidelines under preferences to set gridlines every 48 pixels with 2 subdivisions.

tile_help6.JPG

Is this the correct formatting for working with tiles in RPGMV? I definitely see a difference. And it seems that my first two tilesets was pure dumb luck they worked out right.

10. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yep, that's right. Now you can better see where the edges are. The resource guide is a bit confusing but what it's trying to explain is confusing. It helped me to try things out a few different ways with some really basic and quick art. After that the guide made more sense and was more helpful.

11. MagicDoogies

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah thanks a bunch everyone for the quick and helpful responses. I feel a little embarrassed now for making that mistake. But now everything will hopefully go much more smoothly going forward.