Aryl

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi everyone,
This is my first post on the forum so I hope I'm posting it in the right place.

Here is my problem :
- I have tiles from A4 (Walls) set marked with an x so the player can't normally go through them
- My first B tile is set to a star as I understood it should always be
- There's no ladder, bush, counter, passage (4 dir), damage floor or terrain tag on those tiles
- Yet the player can go through those x-marked-tiles

I would add that this problem concerns the basic "Inside" tileset of the game that everyone has with the game and that the problem just apparead out of the blue - it worked fine before...

Here is what I've tried :
- Close then reopen rpg maker mz => Same problem
- Make a new project (and adding nothing to the basic new project generated by rpg maker mz to be sure it's not caused by the some plugin or outside ressources that I use) => Same problem
- Uninstall then reinstall rpg maker mz => Same problem in my project and in any new project

Here's some screen caps :

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

Capture5.PNG

Does anyone know what I should do ? Or is it a global bug that has to be fixed with a future update of rpg maker mz ?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
so far I know, in MV, if you hold CTRL, you can go through them for bug testing.
if you use any plugin for bug testing, maybe one of those is "true" so you go
through objects.

in case you dont use any plugins and "ctrl" isn't pressed (if its not the same in MZ)
than I dont know.

if this has to do with layer options, it might be the cause but I cannot tell
if this is the cause of the root of the problem.

the only thing I can tell if its similit, is either "ctrl" or a plugin you use.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A3 and A4 tiles have their own passage settings (so does A1) - X and O are ignored for those.

I'm not sure if your arrow is pointing generally to the A4 tiles, or if you are using tiles from that specific row. If it's the latter, those are ceiling tiles not wall tiles. You can walk around on ceiling tiles, as long as there is a way to get onto them. X and O don't matter on A3 or A4 tiles - your passage settings are being ignored.

I expect you would not be able to enter or exit from the sides or from the top, but you can from the bottom. So you need to use a WALL tile (the even-numbered A4 rows) below a CEILING tile (the odd-numbered A4 rows) to stop the player getting access to the area.

If those ARE wall tiles (from the even-numbered rows) and you CAN enter/exit from the sides or the top, then my guess would be that you've turned THROUGH on for the player at some point and haven't turned it off. You can test this easily by going to the console (F8 to open developer tools, find the Console tab) and typing $gamePlayer.isThrough() and see if it tells you true or false.

Aryl

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can walk around on ceiling tiles, as long as there is a way to get onto them. X and O don't matter on A3 or A4 tiles - your passage settings are being ignored.

I expect you would not be able to enter or exit from the sides or from the top, but you can from the bottom. So you need to use a WALL tile (the even-numbered A4 rows) below a CEILING tile (the odd-numbered A4 rows) to stop the player getting access to the area.

It's that specific row. I didn't know A3 and A4 work like that so it was very confusing. I've not figured out how everthing works behind the scene yet so that's good to know. I'll just use non-ceiling tiles then. Thanks a lot.

Do you know if there's a guide somewhere explaining tiles passage settings in case I encounter a similar problem in the future ?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
to add to what Shaz wrote above:
the wall tiles have special passability to simulate a two-level-dungeon on a map that has only one level. Those tiles are paired as wall tile plus fitting ceiling tile, and the ceiling tiles are passable by default ("walk on top of the walls in the second level") IF you get on them with an override.
The row you marked on your screenshot is one of the ceiling rows for example

Regularly that override is supposed to be a ladder tile on the wall or something similar, but due to the way the engine works any passable decoration on the wall becomes an override to get to the ceiling tiles.
That can include invisible tiles and is one reason why the invisible first B tile should always be set to star to prevent similar effects.

I hope this helps
EDIT: ninja'd

Aryl

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
so far I know, in MV, if you hold CTRL, you can go through them for bug testing.
if you use any plugin for bug testing, maybe one of those is "true" so you go
through objects.

in case you dont use any plugins and "ctrl" isn't pressed (if its not the same in MZ)
than I dont know.

if this has to do with layer options, it might be the cause but I cannot tell
if this is the cause of the root of the problem.

the only thing I can tell if its similit, is either "ctrl" or a plugin you use.
Thanks for your suggestions. It was not that. Shaz found the explanation if you're interested.

to add to what Shaz wrote above:
the wall tiles have special passability to simulate a two-level-dungeon on a map that has only one level. Those tiles are paired as wall tile plus fitting ceiling tile, and the ceiling tiles are passable by default ("walk on top of the walls in the second level") IF you get on them with an override.
The row you marked on your screenshot is one of the ceiling rows for example

Regularly that override is supposed to be a ladder tile on the wall or something similar, but due to the way the engine works any passable decoration on the wall becomes an override to get to the ceiling tiles.
That can include invisible tiles and is one reason why the invisible first B tile should always be set to star to prevent similar effects.

I hope this helps
EDIT: ninja'd
Thanks. It's always good to know more about how things work.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Aryl my premaire use is MV, and ctrl can walk through walls, MZ works on
one side a tiny bit different and can have more debug mode like "isThrough"
which I dont know if it exist in MV.

but it's good you solved the problem by shaz methode, my was rather a
wild guess, but a slight chance it could work :)

Good luck on your project, so no worries if there are problems, we try to
help anyone as good as possible and keep learning new things ^^

Latest Profile Posts

SF_People3_1 added!
index.php

Micro rant. The worst part of working from home when you live with your family is seeing how inconsiderate they are. "Hey, you're sitting in front of your computer, that means you're not doing anything! I want to put the TV at 200 decibels!"

If I was working in the office would you still talking me like that?
It's definitely discouraging when streamers give a try-to-say-it-nicely (i.e. bad) review of your game demo. It's like jumping into a cold pool. Bad initally, but it gets better with time. And you are now more alert and see better.
Some screenshots of the pub and lodging with the beginnings of clutter taking shape
TTp8uCw.png

jtC202e.png

bSXgyVl.png

eRx9PUF.png
Backgrounds are not my strong suit... :kaodes:
DazI8jt.jpg

Just realized I forgot doing the clouds... woops

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2dweeb6ae