Tileset Help? I want more in my game.

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Eric206, May 30, 2016.

1. Eric206

Eric206 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm trying to make a full game, one that should last a few hours at the least. I bought 11 DLC packs today and I was looking forward to using some of them for my game. I wanted to add in some more tilesets but I noticed that you can only use 5 per project. I thought, "Hey, maybe I can replace tilesets after I've used them." I was completely wrong. Everything changed design, so I couldn't do that.

So my main question is: Is there any way for me to use more than 5 tilesets per project? I tried combining a few, but it didn't work too well. Please help! Thank you.

2. Kaus

Kaus The Sagittarius Bearer Veteran

First Language:
    Taglish
    You are allowed to have more than 5 tileset for the whole project. Just go to the database and create your sets there. Put all your tilesets in the tileset folder inside the img folder. 

I dont know if that is what you're asking. or if you're talking about the layering A1-A5 B-E is the available layers for each of your tilesets. if you want to break the limit. Use plugins and learn parallax mapping. that's the best options you can have. 

3. Niten Ichi Ryu

Niten Ichi Ryu Grey Lords Emissary Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm not sure what the actual limit is for number, but more than 5 anyway. just change max in database, like for the rest of the DB

PrtScr capture.jpg

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    VX has a limit - one tileset for the entire project.  VX Ace lets you use as many tilesets as you want, but one tileset only per map.  Can you confirm that you actually do have VX Ace, and not VX?  

5. Eric206

Eric206 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Oops! I think I mis-communicated. I'm not even sure if these are called tilesets, but I was talking about this. (see attachment)

Is there a way to add more of these "things" so I can use more assets in my project? Thanks.

EDIT: Shaz, I have Ace. If you look at the attachment, you can see that at the top, it says "RPG Maker VX Ace".

Capture.PNG

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2016
  6. Niten Ichi Ryu

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So for these, 5 is the limit.

7. Eric206

Eric206 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Okay, there's no other program that will let me use more than 5? Or is there a shortcut I can use to work with more than 5?

I'm just assuming that there's no other way to work around it. :(

EDIT: Could I possibly make a sub-level that could let me change the assets that are being used in the project without overriding the rest of the project? Similar to this?

Capture.PNG

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2016
  8. Niten Ichi Ryu

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    best solutions is tileset edits.

Use Gimp to make your own tileset for a specific map, by cutting and pasting from other tilesets. it's really not hard.

9. Eric206

Eric206 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks, I'll try it out.

10. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, everyone thinks they need more sheets, but most often, in reality, you usually don't. Once you've mapped more, you'll realize that you're not using a lot of the tiles. In bigger projects, I end up having very specific tilesets. One might be "Mayor's House Interior" which is used for the mayor's house and maybe some more other rich houses. And another "Slums Interior Houses" which, though another interior set, wouldn't include fancy carpets and furniture. Same for exteriors. You don't want one exterior set with castle pieces and farm pieces necessarily, but customize a "castle exterior" and a "farm exterior" set.

11. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Yes, I can see Ace in the attachment.  But you hadn't added that attachment when you first asked the question or when I asked you to confirm what you were using ;)

12. Bex

Bex Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Rightclick on the Map Name and choose Map Properties, there you can choose the Tileset you want for this Map.

And like the others said, you create the Tilesets in the Database. And 1Tileset for a Map consists of A to E Labeled Tilesets.

You can have 999 Map Tilesets which all got a A to E Tileset.

13. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I think there is some sort of confusion here, so I'll try to describe you the entire concept.

What you see on the editor as A B C D E is not tilesets, those are tilesheets.

A single tileset consists of up to five tilesheets, and those are selected in the database.

You can have as many different tilesets as you like (I think the technical limit is at 999), but each tileset can only consist of the maximum of the 5 tilesheets.

A map can only have one tileset, but different maps can use different tilesets. So the solution is to make themed tilesets for each map, replacing one or more of the five tilesheets on the tileset depending on what tiles you want to use on the map.

If you want to use tiles from different tilesheets, you can "frankentile" by using GIMP or a different image program to create new tilesheets by copy&pasting the needed tiles from different tilesheets together. You only have to keep the formats of the tilesheets the same - there are six different formats, one each for the slots A1 to A5 (combining to the A tilesheet) and the sixth format for the slots B to E.

Bex likes this.
  14. Bex

Bex Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Iam not native English, but Andar explained it very well, i hope it helps you OP.

15. Eric206

Eric206 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yes, I realized that I could have up to 5 tilesets per map (A-E). I didn't know that I could change which tilesets for every new map I created.

16. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No, please be more careful with your naming.

You can only have ONE tileSET per map, but that tileset can consist of up to five tileSHEETS.

If you mix up those names, you'll only get confused with a lot of the tutorials and resource topics and might cause confusion to others.