Tileset Playtest Issues

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by MemeCatGames, Nov 11, 2019.

1. MemeCatGames

MemeCatGames Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello, requesting help, not sure what I did wrong. It's showing some of the old tiles instead of the wall I decided on.

What it's supposed to look like (how it is in the editor): [​IMG]

what it looks like in the playtest:
    [​IMG]

2. BikeHelmet

BikeHelmet Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I appear to be having the same glitch right at this moment. I downloaded a forest tileset, and appear to have set it up correctly so that you can walk behind the trees... yet I walk over some of them. (Just two.)

I tried changing them to block me instead, and that does absolutely nothing. So somehow my tileset isn't being updated when I go to save and playtest? Same problem as you?

3. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I cannot see your images (blocked on my work computer), but did you put down some tiles, then decide you wanted something else, so drew over them with another tile, and when you play the original ones are showing above the new ones? And are these old/new tiles from the B-E tabs?

If that's the case, when you decide you don't want a tile, you don't just draw over it with something else, as they will still both be there, and if the original one has a star passage setting, it will show on top when you play the game (but not when you're in the editor). If you decide you don't want a tile, you need to erase it using the top left tile in the B tab, and THEN draw with the tile you really want there.

4. MemeCatGames

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Gotcha, thanks. I also read somewhere else that me uploading wrong imported tilesets could be causing the black part.

5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Now that I'm home and can see the image, I don't think that's the issue. Those are the A tiles - the autotiles.

So ... check the map settings and make sure you have the correct tileset selected.
    Check the tileset in the Tilesets tab and make sure you have the A slots filled. The missing ones would be specifically in the A2 slot.
    Check the image and make sure it's a .png image (not .PNG and not .jpg or .JPG or any other variation).
    Make sure the image is 768x576 pixels exactly (I don't think this is the issue though).

If all of those things look okay, can you please provide the following screenshots
    - another from within the editor, but this time showing the full editor screen and not just the map. Make sure you have this map selected, and the A tab on the tile palette is showing
    - a screenshot of the map properties window (which you can get by clicking on the map name and pressing space)
    - a screenshot of the tileset tab, with this tileset selected, and the A tab showing

@BikeHelmet your issue is not the same. You should open a new thread for your issue. When you do, please fix the image. It shows for me as a long, incredibly narrow line which I have to zoom in to click on, then open in another window.

6. BikeHelmet

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, I finally figured it out - using Unlocker.
    https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/unlocker.html

Google Drive had my tileset locked. I guess it was trying to upload the file and got stuck, and RPG Maker couldn't access it. It just happened to be whichever file stores passability for that tileset.

I have my trees in the E slot - it's working now.

7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @BikeHelmet Ooh - I very strongly suggest you move your project to a different location. There are too many stories from people who had files corrupted and had to start over, because they had their project sitting in a location that had an automatic online sync.

You are lucky it was an image, and not one of the data files that contains your database info, or one of your map files that contains all your events.

8. BikeHelmet

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Shaz Ahh... don't use automatic backups? Or just make zips of the project and dump them in there? I have heard of stuff getting corrupted by having two people work on it at once, but I didn't think there was risk with only a single computer. I'll pull it out of there.

9. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    the key rule is that the backup must not happen while the MV-editor (or any RM-Editor) is active.
    When the editor is open, it controls the files - and each file can only be opened once. If another program tries to access the project files while the editor is open, there is a high risk of those files being destroyed (depending on what is done at that moment).

BikeHelmet likes this.
  10. MemeCatGames

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Shaz here's some more screenshots (if you click it, there's a second one)

11. BikeHelmet

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just a hunch, but your tileset names have spaces, and don't have the _A2 _A4 marker at the end. Perhaps if you rename them the engine will be able to find them? Just tossing it out there.

Inside_ModernFloorStuff_A2.png
    Inside_CrazyWalls_A4.png
    Inside_CoolChairsTileset.png

12. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The missing _A2, _A4, etc has no effect. However, yes, I'd remove the spaces from the tileset names. That's going to cause you issues sooner or later. Don't have ANY spaces in ANY of the file names or folder names, including the full path to your project (C:\...)

13. MemeCatGames

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's good to know, can I ask why for future reference?

14. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Those are the rules for network naming, and all HTML5-games as well as network-based programs have to follow them to load files.

Those rules are older than windows and are still the basic for anything around the network access - all later overrides to allow for different letters are limited and often cause more problems than anything else.
    And THAT is the reason why for example the spaces get replaced by %20 in the adress line of a browser - the browser can't handle spaces at all and the %20 override only works in a limited function.