Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
... too many tilesets x.x
descriptions ... often just a tiny number of non saying pictures, that don't do them justice

like ... are there any ... "this dlc goes well with that dlc" type of lists
or ... ways to try them out (or see their full content in action) before dumping tons of money on a maybe/maybe not

how ... do you choose ... the right ones x.x out of these hundreds

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Usually the ones that are RTP edits are good to choose. You also kind of have to look at what you already have and just eyeball it. No real trick. That's kind of it.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Forget about "trying them out". No commercial business is going to say "here, have all our stuff and if you like it you can pay later" because software isn't like buying clothes over the internet - you can't 'return' them in the same way because once on your hard disk, always on your hard disk.

As for whether or not things go, as Hexmozart88 said, looking closely has to be your first action. Many you can see at a glance won't go together e.g. Time Fantasy with FSM. For others they may feel quite close. You then have to decide: is the content what I need? If it is, and you get it, you may find that you have to do some overall editing e.g. taking the whole tile sheet and adjusting the brightness or saturation or..... so that it fits better with other things. I've done that a lot over the years.

SGHarlekin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Imagine if you could download a sample project for tileset lmao. Never buy DLCs ever again.

Jokes aside, it is how the others said. No two tilesets will ever perfectly match each other (unless made by the same artist perhaps)

No way around manually looking & selecting something that's close, and then editing it to make them match. Otherwise it's pretty much stick to rtp or try "complete" packs like first seed material. Otherwise it'll always just be a few bits and pieces made by 100s of different artists that rarely ever go well together.

(you could of course go and hire someone to create a completely custom tileset, but who has that kinda money laying around amirite.)

123edc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Forget about "trying them out". No commercial business is going to say "here, have all our stuff and if you like it you can pay later
i meant more like in ... *thinks* ...

for example ... let's take the fsm packs (god bless them)
these packs all come with a (quite large) number of premade maps

showing, what the creator of these packs envisioned while making them
and ... well, that not only shows the tiles in action, it actually also allows me to get a real "feeling" for these sets ... if you get, what i mean

and creating a hand full of maps [with tilesets you just created] will be a lot less work then actually making these sets, right?

so, what i meant by "trying them out" was more something in that direction ...
instead of "locking" these samples behind the paywall ... creating a [encrypted and / or online and / or cencored] mini game out of it, so that i can walk around a bit and ... well ... have a look at them, if you get what i mean

i'd even go as far as saying, that degica themselfs should do something like this ...
like ... creating a small sample game - showing the new stuff / tilesets beside the alrady existing one and ... well ... stuff like that

becouse these "problem" is something, i don't only have for tilesets ...
but also for ... music and everything else

20 tracks ... and onle 4,6,7 of them listenable as previews ...
yeah, i already had quite my few surprises of great musik, i didn't even know, was in the packs [and probably missed out on much, much more ... becouse i simple didn't knew] ...

Forget about "trying them out". No commercial business is going to say "here, have all our stuff and if you like it you can pay later
also, i have to ... kind of ... dissagree,
there actually are some out there, that do just that

or to be more precice, there are some out there, that differenciate according to usage

like: private use -> free samples and/or downgraded versions and/or full version (without rights to publish anything with it)

non commercial -> small price
commercial -> higher pricing (and requierement to register on their site)

they may be the minority ... but they exist ...

also, i could do just that - buying now, paying later - with the refund policy of steam ... just saying

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
also, i could do just that - buying now, paying later - with the refund policy of steam ... just saying
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that with graphics dlc the Steam refund policy does not apply, precisely to stop people downloading it, copying everything into another folder and then asking for a refund.

123edc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that with graphics dlc the Steam refund policy does not apply
well, i already got refunds for some enemy battler dlc [looked great on screens but crap when used] ... so my guess is, that it does apply ...

what you are forgetting in the whole "to stop people from downloading" argument is the legal side of things ... the moment, you refund it, you (legally) aren't allowed to use these assets in youre game anymore ... that could get you into a lot of trouble ...

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
what you are forgetting in the whole "to stop people from downloading" argument is the legal side of things ... the moment, you refund it, you (legally) aren't allowed to use these assets in youre game anymore ... that could get you into a lot of trouble ...
Nah, not forgetting it at all. Just too worldly wise to assume that everyone is so honest. I've had my own games cracked and custom assets spread around the internet. Why would I assume that such people wouldn't exploit other sources of 'free' assets?

However, this conversation is beginning to get seriously off-topic, so I'll bow out now before the thread is derailed.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
for example ... let's take the fsm packs (god bless them)
these packs all come with a (quite large) number of premade maps showing, what the creator of these packs envisioned while making them
and ... well, that not only shows the tiles in action, it actually also allows me to get a real "feeling" for these sets

instead of "locking" these samples behind the paywall ... have a look at them, if you get what i mean
I must admit, I don't get what you mean. Every tileset DLC I've looked at (we'll use FSM for your example) includes screenshots of those sample maps.

Since tilesets are just that art, I don't see what the point is in an entire sample project when you can already see the sample maps as images. What difference would it make to walk around them with a video game character? O__o

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Yes, it sounds like you just want screenshots of maps made with the DLC, but those are available on the store page?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Title Screen 100% Finished
Evangeline.png
I'm starting to enjoy doing pixel art! Not to mention it's getting easier to do commissions :kaojoy:
I'm having a surprisingly easy time with the wait for Hogwarts Legacy, though I know other gamers are salivating hard.
:awat:What are you two down there doing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warnerfoupe