HarmonyGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
N/A
In my game , I have two experimental elements, "Time" and "Sound" elements.

Time element is good for interrupting enemies, and it also involves in agility-related buffs.

Meanwhile for the "sound" element, I focus on creating the volatility of the damage, for example the damage inflicted can be around 10-300%.

Is this really good? Anyone would like to add?

Skunk

Melody Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Slavic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The way I see it, anything you can come up with in regard to adding none stock content into your game is a plus.
I had a similar idea years ago where i used a skill called sound, which made enemies unable to communicate with each other thus attacking each other. But honestly I most likely renamed "confusion" to "sound wave".

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
anything can be any element... it's just a game's way of grouping types of attacks together and allowing (or not) interactions between elements.
whatever you choose to name your elements, is just a matter of preference.
the *mechanic* is always one: X element will affect Y attack in a given way, and the premise holds true for all *elements*.
if you choose to name them "Sound", "Water" or "Tickle with a raven feather", is up to you.

BadMinotaur

You can do it!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've always found it difficult to flavor time-elemental spells, especially if they do damage. Time-based healing spells are easy to justify (oh, you reset time to when they weren't injured) but what could a time damage spell be? Disrupting their flow in the time stream?

The late MMO City of Heroes had a sound-based powerset for their DPS class. Basically it was flavored like a sort of "shatter" effect -- it would reduce the foe's damage resistance and thus make them take more damage. It felt like it belonged.

I liked Grandia II's Explosion element. Like, it was totally separate from the Fire element -- it was its own element, the Explosion element. When I realized that, it made me chuckle. I think only attack buffs and extremely powerful AoE spells were Explosion-element.

acidhedz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
Damaging time spells can cause aging. Or you can go with entropy and say they cause bodily breakdowns.
If you're using any kind of gear damage system, time spells can be a good way for enemies to mess with the player's gear.
Usually time is better as a crowd control or (de)buff element.

Sound can do all sorts of things. The inner ear controls balance, so a sound based attack can cause pretty lot's of different effects.
If you don't mind being a tad gross, you could even cause characters to experience 'an involuntary gastric spill'.
Loud enough sounds can burst ear drums, and even cause death. Sonic booms have been known to break windows.
After all, sound is a pressure wave.
There's also the mythical "brown note", again a bit gross...
Some frequencies or combinations of notes, are thought to create fear responses. (there's a reason horror movie music tends to sound similar)

I can also say, as a music producer, that being exposed to certain frequencies too much can make you feel sick. I've had more than one migraine from forgetting to EQ aggressive mids and highs.

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The late MMO City of Heroes had a sound-based powerset for their DPS class. Basically it was flavored like a sort of "shatter" effect -- it would reduce the foe's damage resistance and thus make them take more damage. It felt like it belonged.

I had an Illusion Control/Sonic Resonance Controller.. he did absolutely no damage on his own, but he made my teams UNSTOPPABLE with debuffs and utility skills. :) Perfect for Rikti League Raids. *Reminisces... *

But on the original topic, I personally don't ever make "Sound" or "Time" elements or Damage types in my games. I typically leave a "Typeless" Damage dealing Magic type that I assign to the One-Off's. Unless you have entire Skill trees/Levels of multiple different Sound and Time spells that deal damage, then I see no reason to give them their own elemental slots in your database. Just my opinion. :)

Hope this is helpful!
-MIA

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

not me baking a pie because i was inspired by celeste
Doing RPG Maker News for 10th April, 2021. :LZScheeze: (Improving on the thumbnails, by using assets from the day's news.)
Just discovering the forum.
Since Final Fantasy VII has been trending today, decided to make a series of my favorite bars in the OG game! Check it out:

At 2021, we are now farther from the 1980's than they were from the 1950's. Consider that the next time you long for a 1980's song, when you thought your grandpa's taste for 1950's music was "outdated".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
venxarmy