Time based character movement

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by RolandGAMES, Mar 4, 2017.

1. RolandGAMES

RolandGAMES Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Hey!

I wanted my Characters to move around Town at specific times like in Games such as Harvest Moon. I know that I have to transfer my Characters at specific times etc. etc. and I already have a working Time System.

My problem ist, that I want the Player to be able to talk to the characters while they are walking around, but since there is no switch/ variable or transfer control in the auto routes, I don't know how I could do this. Is there any plugin or way to do so?

2. Doombringer

Doombringer Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey, I'm fairly new to the RPGMaker MV myself, only a few hours in, but from a programmer's point of view (not Javascript) (also, I don't know if this is even possible in RPGMaker MV), you could use the Region IDs and map out the tiles each NPC is walking on during their certain time and if the player is on one of them and the NPC is next to him; use a keyboard button to start a conversation.

Also, the Region IDs should be put in lines of 3 (picture "2"). That way, no matter which tile the player is on, as long as it's the one right next to the NPC, he'll be able to interact with them.

The only problem I see is if Region IDs cross. No clue what to do about that though.

Sorry if this isn't even remotely helpful. I'm still quite new to this.

Attached Files:

• 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      58.7 KB
      Views:
  3. RolandGAMES

First Language:
    German
    Well it's something haha! But I think most of the characters will cross their ways and/or be sometimes next to each other so.. but thanks for the idea!

4. Trihan

Trihan Speedy Scripter Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Instead of using auto routes, why not have a movement controller parallel process event with pages activated by switches (which are turned on/off depending on the time of day) that have set move routes for each event to make them go where they should be heading at that time?

5. RolandGAMES

First Language:
    German
    I'm not sure how many event pages you CAN have, but if I'd do it like that it would be plenty. But if there are unlimited event pages I can try to do so.

6. Trihan

First Language:
    English
    Do your characters not have set places they go each day?

Just checked btw, events have a maximum of 20 pages.

7. RolandGAMES

First Language:
    German
    They do but I would need to make pages every minute as long as they are moving, which would be 30 pages if they would move only for 30 seconds (1sec = 1 ingame Minute) to set them to the position they should be if you enter the map. They'll be also having to move every day differently so that would cause even more pages. Plus it would not work anyways, since I have to transfer them to be at the place they should be in that exact moment when entering the map, which wouldn't allow the player to talk to them.

8. Trihan

First Language:
    English
    If I were doing a system like that (and I probably will be at some point soon) I would probably start a timer when the "route change" switches are turned on (just a variable that goes up by 1 every time update is called), figure out how many updates it takes an event to travel 1 tile, and then have an autostart on each map that calculates how many tiles along their route each event should be based on the variable and places them on that tile. That's getting into the kind of stuff that requires Javascript, though.

9. RolandGAMES

First Language:
    German
    How do you delete messages?^^

Well does sound like not too much fun haha..