Time counting system stops counting (What am I doing wrong?)

cabanas_ds

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have a Day / Night System that I have set up that is basically a time counter running as a common event. Which is triggered by an event on the map to start on parallel at the start of the game. I used the LvL up Design tutorial to do this events only system & it works great! () (Lvl up Design is a champ, great tutorials)

The event tints the screen as time goes on & that works just fine.

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 12.09.14 pm.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-24 at 12.09.33 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 12.22.52 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 12.28.21 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 12.28.33 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 12.28.42 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 12.28.53 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 12.29.02 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 12.29.10 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 12.29.20 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 12.29.28 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 12.29.37 pm.png

NOW THE PROBLEM IS: I have also now added days of the week, months (and eventually i want to add years). They all display on screen. But when I talk to my NPC that skips the time forward the counter stops shifting forward, around end of FEB or MAR. but it's never really at the same time.

can some one tell me why this glitch happens? i can show more pages if needed.

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 12.24.43 pm.png

I'm sorry for the length of this post. I'd just love to figure this out. & I'm sure if it works out then other people could benefit from this system.

Thanks in advance.

Cabanas DS

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there are three possibilities that I can think of - either one of the variables is used where you don't intend it to be used (for example in a plugin that you forgot to configure correctly), or you have a timing problem of too many parallel processes interacting, or you messed up the sequences somewhere in the time events.

and the last two points bring to the point why I consider a structure as you used it to be a very bad choice.
You should not split into different events what should be handled in the same parallel process.
The show picture commands should be integrated into the time control event, at the same level where the variable is checked in it - instead of a single check of hour=24 you place all hour-checks there and only shift the day at the last one.

that way you'll always have the commands in one sequence instead of wondering which sequence got wrong where.

cabanas_ds

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i mean, having the events split up does work pretty well when it was just minutes & hours displayed. but as soon as you're counting & displaying week days, and counting 4 to make a month & displaying the month also. i was wondering if the engine got buggy if too many things are happening at once but i thought for sure this would be some thing that could be implemented. it's actually quite straight forward. i just don't have the experience to figure it out myself.

having it all run on one common event page sounds more intense to me for some reason :guffaw:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
having it all run on one common event page sounds more intense to me for some reason
yes and no

it depends on what exactly you're doing, sometimes it's better to have things in one event and other times it's better to split up

I'm halfway sure that part of the cause for your problem is that the order of the conditions is wrong. That is always a problem with longer lists of options, and in such cases it's easier to read the code if everything that should happen at one point in the cycle is at the same place in the same code.

additionally you might want to read through the tutorial bughunting in my signature about the reason behind timing problems...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

grief... lol... I keep seeing request for MZ versions of MV plugins. this is why I haven't moved over and just MZ for my MV project.
Egg-sitting minigame is coming along nicely. Are you a bad enough dino to keep all these raptor eggs warm?

I forgot to post the animated version of the previous map I was working on. I'm still arguing with myself on if I like the stark blue ground better than the undergrowth ground used on the waterfall map. Hmm...
now that fmod is free for indie(<200k revenue), it would be interesting to see someone add fmod support for rpg maker
Can't say I can't promise progress on a project just yet. But I can say I had fun databasing tonight. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sulthorne