Hardman5509

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RPG MAKER MV project

I want to make a hero with some time powers, but trying to keep it simple and not trying to drown myself in a million different scripts. So far, the beginning powers I have designed are simple Agility Buff, Debuff, and a Stun. I'm very green to RPG Maker, and am trying to finish a project...for once.

The basic concept is that throughout the story, the hero unlocks more time powers at key points. So if you have ideas on how to develop time powers in a RPG in a balanced manner, I welcome any advice.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
By levelling up?

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I would argue healing is also time magic because it boosts your healing rate and/or metabolism. That said, so does the MP recovering.

Also, a state that makes you attack twice (using Attack Times+ trait) can also be time magic.

VegaKotes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Taking away buffs/Debuffs as you reverse the target's "time."
If you can figure it out it might be neater to heal all damage done X turns ago rather than a full restore.

Ooh, an earlier/less in control power could be something like Time Shift in which 2/5 of the time the target becomes much, much, younger and thus weaker. 2/5 of the time they become much much older and thus weaker. And finally 1/5 of the time they're cast forward/backward to their prime and get boosted instead.

Freezing someone in place for a time, maybe even making them untargetable because they're outside of time.

Sullien

Dev Candidate
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
To make the most of such a mechanic you'd likely need a custom battle engine, that said, a simple way would be to set something like countdown effects on attacks, for example an attack that deals no damage but 2 turns later instantly defeats a foe(with a visual marker so you can keep track of it).

Developing these powers story-wise would feel the most natural in my mind, but would clearly be quite tricky to implement. Without more details I can't go much deeper than that though.

Last edited:

VegaKotes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes story wise is likely the best use for most of the advanced powers. Time powers are an especially tricky one to do because controlling time itself is....quite a concept.

MarxMayhem

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The Undo abilities found in Bravely Second can be flavored as Time Magic as well. If you are using YEP, Yanfly has a Tips and Tricks video that show how you can replicate that effect.

Other things you can flavor as Time Magic are the parameters accuracy and evasion, freezing time to either guarantee landing or evading a hit, respectively. Because your time mage hero can also freeze time, they have a moment to aim for weakspots, flavoring critical rate as well.

Hardman5509

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The funny thing is that a lot of the suggestions are bit like how FFV handles Time Magic. But a lot of these are good stuff, thanks.

I really should use YEP stuff, but I really want to use as little custom assets as I can for my first project. Just a matter of pride...and really, when I get custom, I tend to go nuts and download just way too much. Just trying to keep it nice and simple.

Hardman5509

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Here's the ones I came up with thus far:
Clock Up (Adds double Agility Buff while removing Agility Debuff)
Clock Down (Adds double Agility Debuff while removing Agility Buff on enemy)
Clock Stop (High chance of activating a Stun)
Force Rewind (Removes all Buffs off a enemy)
Boost Metabolism (Adds HP and MP regen)
Protoblast (Magic AOE damage)
Rewind Revive (Full HP and MP restore to downed ally, high MP cost)
Quick Action (Adds state with ActionTime +100%)
Protosmash (Magic AOE damage)

Probably going to add more like this, but with AOE stuff (Like Boost Metabolism to the entire party)

MarxMayhem

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think you already have a solid list. If you plan on giving players many party members, this will more than suffice.

Hardman5509

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It's just going to be a standard four-man party. And here's the final list, with the general balance thus far, and would love to get some advice on damage formulas and MP charges, this has been a stopping point for me on a number of projects:

During First Boss, in which you only have one character:
1. Clock Up (Double Agility Buff, cleanses Agility Debuff for 1 ally) 30 MP
2. Clock Down (Double Agility Debuff, removes Agility Buff for 1 enemy) 30 MP
3. Clock Stop (80% chance of Stun to 1 enemy) 45 MP

After Gaining the Third Party Member (20% Progress into story)
4. Origin Revert (Removes all buffs off Enemy) 45 MP
5. Boost Metabolism (Adds 8% HP and 5% MP Regen 3-turn States to 1 ally) 45 MP
6. Protoblast (Magical AOE Attack 250 + a.mat * 3 - b.mdf * 2) 55 MP

After Gaining the Fourth Party Member (45% Progress)
7. Rewind Revive (Removes KO, restores 100% HP & MP to 1 ally) 75 MP (Probably should go up)
8. Quick Action (Adds 2 turn State with Action Time + 100% to 1 ally) 75 MP
9. Protosmash (Magical AOE Attack 600 + a.mat * 4 - b.mdf * 2) 125 MP

After the Twist: (60% Progress)
10. Age Up (Adds 3 Turn All Stats Debuff to 1 enemy) 90 MP
11. Minute-Break (Adds 3 Turn Immortal State to 1 ally) 90 MP
12. Protostorm (Magical AOE Attack 1400 + a.mat * 5 - b.mdf * 2) 180 MP

Secret Skills that require sidequests to unlock (The only ones that aren't unlocked in sets of three)
13. Metaevolution (Adds Boost Metabolism skill to entire party) 100 MP
14. Timewarp! (12 Different States to be applied to one enemy at a 50% rate for each one, some positive, some negative. Does 500 Direct Damage) 100 MP
15. Omegarend (Magical AOE Attack 2500 + a.mat * 6 - b.mdf * 2) 250 MP

If you have any advice regarding re-balancing (Be it the order you get the skills, damage formulas, and anything else...like if the names are stupid)

The main reason, besides pride, that I'm trying to keep this somewhat simple, is because my main strength is writing. I want the story to be the more important aspect of the game, but I still want to have a balanced game. One that doesn't bore the player, but also one that doesn't slow down the story by being stupidly hard.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
3. Clock Stop (80% chance of Stun to 1 enemy) 45 MP
I would advise against high % rng...might as well make it 100%. I can't stress how annoying it feels when an 80+% proc chance doesn't go off. Just give it a small CD and perhaps bump the cost a bit to balance it out, imo.

Hardman5509

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I would advise against high % rng...might as well make it 100%. I can't stress how annoying it feels when an 80+% proc chance doesn't go off. Just give it a small CD and perhaps bump the cost a bit to balance it out, imo.
Yeah, I should. It's really for the first boss, where you are alone and you are supposed to use it to win the fight as an introduction to the time powers. Boosted MP cost to 60. (Never been a big fan of status effects in RPGs; only really used them to kill certain bosses in Shadow Hearts and Epic Battle Fantasy)

...but how does one make add a CD to the skill without downloading Yanfly's many different engines? Love the work, but really wanting to keep this as simple as possible.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Hardman5509 You only need Yanfly's YEP_CoreEngine, YEP_SkillCore, & YEP_X_SkillCooldowns. You don't actually need his battle engine core for a CD mechanic.

BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I see a lot of agility buffs and debuffs, is it a central stat though? How much does it matter if an enemy gets agility buffed? How is an agility boost helping the player?

Also is the hero the only time manipulator or other enemies will have access to these kind of powers? If enemies can use time magic then you can add time stuns to some enemies and a stun removal for the hero.

Also petition to rename any time related stun to za warudo!

Hardman5509

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I see a lot of agility buffs and debuffs, is it a central stat though? How much does it matter if an enemy gets agility buffed? How is an agility boost helping the player?

Also is the hero the only time manipulator or other enemies will have access to these kind of powers? If enemies can use time magic then you can add time stuns to some enemies and a stun removal for the hero.

Also petition to rename any time related stun to za warudo!
It's an early design (I started this project some time ago but dropped it due to me being lazy), and generally the most obvious one relating to time powers. If you have any advice as to what the replacements should be for the opening powers, I'll be more than happy to take it.

No, only the hero is the one. save for the climax

Hardman5509

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Okay, I downloaded the Yanfly Basic pack, but I'm an idiot and most likely (Again) put the plugins in the wrong order. IamIdiot.png

I could also be an bigger idiot and didn't understand the instructions of how to implement the Cooldown. It says notetags...

Skill.png

But it doesn't work that way...

...please help, I'm so freaking stupid.

Johnny_Ray

Also known as Toby Yasha
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A way to "avoid" %chance skill is to make synergies.
Clock Stop (High chance of activating a Stun) - For example, this could have a higher chance of being inflicted if the enemy has his agility debuffed.
Otherwise you can make the skill have 100% base chance of inflicting stun but decreases by x% with each use, you could add a skill that can help increase the chance back aswell.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Slowly working on directions and walking sprites. :kaoback:
mA1ETTy.jpg
Walking down the seaside.

Soooo... i might have started planning for a new game... and dragged two friends into it. It's honestly the most supportive anyone has ever been about my projects; excited!!
Trying to put my drawing skill to use.

A parallax'd map from my upcoming game The Sinners who Never Sinned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Permanently_Salty