Time-Slice System

aozgolo

Perfidious Penny Pinching Pollywog
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
A Time-Slice system (there may be a better word for it) is a turn-based time management system where each part of the day is broken up into individual "slices" of time, and going to specific locations or doing certain actions consumes 1 or more slice of time. At the end of the day you are forced to sleep until the next day.

It is most commonly used in certain types of dating sims, or other sim games like the popular Item Shop Sim: Recettear.

I've been a big fan of this system since it allows the complexity of time management without the concerns of true real-time or action gameplay. I've always preferred turn based battles in RPGs and it just feels horribly out of place for one part of a game to be turn based and others be real time.

So I was thinking of applying it to my own game which while it will have various "sim" elements has much of the common elements of RPGs such as exploration, battle, progressing story, etc., though I was also toying with the idea of using it in a Harvest Moon-esque style game that's more focused on things like building relationships and earning a living through an "honest trade" (not that killing slimes ain't honest work mind you :p )

I am thus curious to kind of get other people's ideas on Time-Slice systems, do you love them? hate them? why? Do you see any pitfalls to applying it to a standard RPG? Ideas for clever ways to implement it?

One of the things I think would be most necessary is a non-standard world map, using a point-to-point based system instead of free exploration. Thus keeping only the most significant locations on the map visible, and moving/clicking to another location consumes time slice(s) but while actually ON the map you don't lose any time doing what you need to do, unless otherwise noted (IE: sleeping at an inn in a town you're in)

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I normally prefer continuous time systems, but if there's one game where a "slice" is nicely done IMHO, it is the periods of Valkyrie Profile... Going into each dungeon/city consumes a period and each chapter you only have a fixed amount of periods to spend...

One of the things I think would be most necessary is a non-standard world map, using a point-to-point based system instead of free exploration.
Yeah, I think so...

hiromu656

Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The only games that I've played that use a system similar to this are Persona 3 and 4. In these games they also use the point to point map system as well, and both systems are fine. One of the key things to make sure you hit on is having the things outside of dungeons have as much as an impact or be as enjoyable as the things you do in them. When it comes to the 2 Persona games, I enjoyed doing dungeons and getting new demons, but on top of that I really liked talking to the characters and making friends. Both systems worked hand in hand and gave you access to bonuses and perks by taking part in both sides of gameplay (Combat and Social Links). So, I like the system.

In those games, on most days (whenever you had school) you would wake up, go to school, and after school you can choose to do one of the following things: 1. Increase Social Stats (courage, intelligence, etc) by doing certain events around town, 2. Advance Social Links by talking to the main characters of the game 3. Spend your time doing dungeons and getting stronger. Sometimes these things overlap, but usually you'll be giving up something each day. This sort of system can add replay value to your game, and keep the player engaged since he/she is always planning out what to do next, just make sure these choices are all worth doing. I wanted to say something else but I forgot :/

Randommerade

All those years, outside looking in...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The only games that I've played that use a system similar to this are Persona 3 and 4. In these games they also use the point to point map system as well, and both systems are fine. One of the key things to make sure you hit on is having the things outside of dungeons have as much as an impact or be as enjoyable as the things you do in them. When it comes to the 2 Persona games, I enjoyed doing dungeons and getting new demons, but on top of that I really liked talking to the characters and making friends. Both systems worked hand in hand and gave you access to bonuses and perks by taking part in both sides of gameplay (Combat and Social Links). So, I like the system.

In those games, on most days (whenever you had school) you would wake up, go to school, and after school you can choose to do one of the following things: 1. Increase Social Stats (courage, intelligence, etc) by doing certain events around town, 2. Advance Social Links by talking to the main characters of the game 3. Spend your time doing dungeons and getting stronger. Sometimes these things overlap, but usually you'll be giving up something each day. This sort of system can add replay value to your game, and keep the player engaged since he/she is always planning out what to do next, just make sure these choices are all worth doing. I wanted to say something else but I forgot :/
Agreed. Persona 3 and 4 pulled that off, very well. All I can say is, if you do create that system, make the opportunities endless ^.^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Haven’t gotten over a mentor’s promotion. He deserves it, but he was the first person to be nice to me at work. It’s been hard for me to let him go.
So its confirmed MZ will have tile size locked at 48x48. So thats extremely lame. Still probably going to get it for the assets but Im gonna pout the whole time.
A friend used to ask why I don't colorize most of my drawings? The answer: I'm colorblind.
Thought something big was going down when I saw a riot van and two cop cars outside my home. Nope. Just multiple calls about one man kicking off in the street. xD
RPG Maker MZ does confirm in its RPG Maker website blog about new features. Graphics of course look gorgeous, but how about what keeps the engine together?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
studiojap