Willibab

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd like a time aspect in my game, if only to reset dungeons and gain a certain amount of resources per day (based on many factors such as buildings you own etc...), possibly more eventually.
The problem is what consequences to add as im not a fan of time limits ^^ I can have it for certain quests but i'd prefer not to overdo it as i like taking my time in rpgs :p

There are two time systems i'm considering

The action point one where you have a certain amount of actions and then need to sleep to replenish it. I like this the most but it seems to easy to exploit if there isn't a time limit. Even if you just earn 10 gold per day, if you reset 10 times quickly you have 100 and so on. Maybe have it so you have to spend most of the points before being able to sleep?

Active time, normal time that runs regardless of what you do...This is ok but ofc...You can just have the game on while sleeping and become rich. In my experience, people will ruin their fun if its an option, i certainly will xD

Which time systems do you use (if you do) and how to you prevent the exploiting of it?

Soulrender

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I prefer active time, action points can be farmed by various ways, but you can't cheat time,
however to prevent situation you told, about going to sleep and leave game itself, you can
protect by checking via parallel (common) event if main player (or event) is idle.

Methods of checking if player is not idle are quite a lot, I give you examples:
- checking position on map
- checking states
- checking variables assigned to player
- checking switches
- checking selfswitches.
- checking interval between specific key press

Willibab

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I prefer active time, action points can be farmed by various ways, but you can't cheat time,
however to prevent situation you told, about going to sleep and leave game itself, you can
protect by checking via parallel (common) event if main player (or event) is idle.

Methods of checking if player is not idle are quite a lot, I give you examples:
- checking position on map
- checking states
- checking variables assigned to player
- checking switches
- checking selfswitches.
- checking interval between specific key press
Thats a nice way around it :p

I was thinking of having a set amount of action points tho, maybe start with 25 and being able to upgrade to 100, each actions cost like 5-10 each. Unless you mean farming by resetting the days over and over.

Active is deffo more realistic...But like i said, i do enjoy being able to take my time. So if a zone is in night time (more difficult or rare enemies, limited rare items or events) it would be nice to have some time to do it, i could just make the days very long with active too tho... hmm :p

Soulrender

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you insist on action point then set up upper limit of them - meaning how much player can farm action points per day (or other time period). I Would go for some low values and give upgrade that increases this upper limit.

I often did that in my Warcraft 3 games wirth infrantry.

- I created a 3 tier upgrade for my hero's camp
- I set quite high costs and requirements for that upgrade
* 1min/1.30min/3min to do research per level
* 350/500/750 gold cost per level
* 200/350/500 wood cost per level
* Main Hero at least at level 3
- I limited how many specific units (Knights) player can train per each level tier:
* 1st Level - 3 Knights
* 2nd Level - 5 Knights
* 3rd Level - 10 Knights

I know that there is no point in comparing RTS with RPG but I believe it will bright-up your idea.

And... Why not to combine both methods? Action points with real time?

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not a fan of time systems because they usually equate to a lot of busy work and micro management.

What I do enjoy are simple night/day systems that implement simple changes like different monsters at night than during the day.

AfroKat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I feel like time features are always gonna be exploited and they shouldn't be in the game.

If your generous enough with resources and gathering, then what's the whole point of it?

If your stingy then the player just Chang's the clock on their computer or ignores your whole system if it's TRUE time.

Star Ocean 4 had a "time" system where you had to return to the ship to reset time for minerals and plants. Which forced you to run back and forth over a few screens taking like 2-5minutes depending how fast you got and then rinse and repeat. So it was boring and didn't feel like time management at all.

Rayhaku808

Chubbizard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Is there not a way of forcing a time check via internet? Like I guess if you really wanted to you could connect to a server's timezone.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Is there not a way of forcing a time check via internet?
Unless this is a browser game, how could you possibly ensure that the player was even connected to the internet?

Rayhaku808

Chubbizard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Unless this is a browser game, how could you possibly ensure that the player was even connected to the internet?
Via plugins and checking for active internet connection before loading a save. So it'd constantly be running and bogging down the game probably. Might need to implement an auto save plugin as well in the case of accidental dropped connections. A lot of games auto-save to the first slot. To me it sounds like it'll be significantly more hassle than for what it's worth, and not the most player friendly. Should be effective though.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Rayhaku808 I think you misunderstood my reply. The problem is not how to implement this. The problem would be how you could force the player to be on the internet so that you could run the check.

Rayhaku808

Chubbizard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Kes Hmm. Would it not be consistently checking? The player essentially cannot play without an active internet connection just like a typical online game. So indeed you can't force the player to be on the internet but it's required for the time gated functions. So "A failure to connect to the server has occurred" stops yeets you back out to the main menu. This is how I picture something like this would work.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Rayhaku808 There is nothing in the OP's question implying that this is an online only game. I have read numerous posts on this site from people who say that with, for example, Steam they only play offline. That's certainly true for me. That is why my original reply here began "Unless this is a browser game...". Apart from that type of game, I think many players would resent being forced to go online to play, especially if the only reason that they have to is so that the dev can carry out a clunky check.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

AlcTheHero wrote on Mystic_Enigma's profile.
hi.
Still recovering from my laptop's transformation into a brick. I hope to be back to making soon.
Urgh. That sense of frustration when I tell my husband the plot of my game, bullet points, and at the end he looks and me and says 'that's it? Final Fantasy has more twists and turns.' Me: Ahrug! Bullet points!
Another day, another microwave accidently set on fire! >.< I just wanted popcorn for a movie night...
Have alot of moving parts rights now but I'm excited to say Fallen Feather is transitioning into phase 2 of production soon and once I get a few things in a row I can't wait to update my games in development thread!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dante12345