Kyuchu

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Greetings,
I'm making a game on RPG Maker MV along with some friends, and we were planning on having a battle that would feature a time gimmick.
As in, you'd have to beat said enemy withing a certain time frame, and if that time runs out, it's game over.
Is there any way to make this happen?
If so, I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how.

Thank you!

Raexxar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can make it with variables. Just make that after every second it adds 1 to it and when it equals for example 60 or more it's game over.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You can do this using Troop Events.

If you're just looking to use a certain number of turns as the time limit, then all you need to do is have an event that runs on Turn X (this is one of the default Conditions you can set for a Troop Event). Use scope "Battle". Do whatever eventing you want, then either use the Game Over command, or Abort the battle, run whatever extra plot you need to on the map, and then throw the Game Over.

If you're looking to use a certain amount of real time as the time limit, it's a bit tricker. What you'd probably want to do is set a Timer at the beginning of battle (either on Turn 0, or right before you send the player into the battle) using a Control Timer event command, and then use Hime's Custom Page Conditions plugin to allow you check the Timer as an additional condition to run the event (by adding the custom page condition comment, then using a Conditional Branch that checks whether the Timer is 0 or below). You will also need a "regular" condition in order to make sure the event runs - I recommend just having a switch that is always ON, and making that switch being ON the Troop Page's condition. Use scope "Battle". Running the event should do the same as above - messages, Game Over, etc.

Kyuchu

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can make it with variables. Just make that after every second it adds 1 to it and when it equals for example 60 or more it's game over.
Oh, alright, I'll have to search a bit more about variables then I suppose.
But I'm glad it's possible.
Also, is there a way I can have a visible timer on the battle, so the player knows that they have said time left to finish it?

Kyuchu

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can do this using Troop Events.

If you're just looking to use a certain number of turns as the time limit, then all you need to do is have an event that runs on Turn X (this is one of the default Conditions you can set for a Troop Event). Use scope "Battle". Do whatever eventing you want, then either use the Game Over command, or Abort the battle, run whatever extra plot you need to on the map, and then throw the Game Over.

If you're looking to use a certain amount of real time as the time limit, it's a bit tricker. What you'd probably want to do is set a Timer at the beginning of battle (either on Turn 0, or right before you send the player into the battle) using a Control Timer event command, and then use Hime's Custom Page Conditions plugin to allow you check the Timer as an additional condition to run the event (by adding the custom page condition comment, then using a Conditional Branch that checks whether the Timer is 0 or below). You will also need a "regular" condition in order to make sure the event runs - I recommend just having a switch that is always ON, and making that switch being ON the Troop Page's condition. Use scope "Battle". Running the event should do the same as above - messages, Game Over, etc.
Oh, I'll have to check out this pluging.
But is there a way to also add a visible timer for the player to see?

Raexxar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, I'll have to check out this pluging.
But is there a way to also add a visible timer for the player to see?
Well it would be hard. I think it would be easier if you code it or find someone to code it for you (or find plugin for that). For now i recommend trying SRD Hud Maker, maybe it can help you. I'm not sure but it should have option to show variable, then you should make it inversely (variable from start equals for example 120 and every second it decreases)

Kyuchu

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well it would be hard. I think it would be easier if you code it or find someone to code it for you (or find plugin for that). For now i recommend trying SRD Hud Maker, maybe it can help you. I'm not sure but it should have option to show variable, then you should make it inversely (variable from start equals for example 120 and every second it decreases)
Okie, I will look into that, thank you!

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
...made you a plugin...

Will the timer revert to its previous/default behaviour after that battle is over? Or not until the game is closed and relaunched?

ct_bolt

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Javascript
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Will the timer revert to its previous/default behaviour after that battle is over? Or not until the game is closed and relaunched?
Up to the one making the game ;)

However, yep in the settings I have shown in the screenshots above.
That is correct after the battle is over the timer will return to what ever it normal would.
(which by standard just aborts battle for those who didn't know)

I aliased the onExpire to only do custom code if the property "_whenExpires" is valid ;)
...and also give the option to run code when the player has successfully escaped. In the screenshot that stops the timer and reverts the timer to normal.

Last edited:

Kyuchu

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
...made you a plugin...
Start/Setup a Timer:
View attachment 141115

If the "choosen" enemy has less than or equal to 0 HP:
View attachment 141116
Oh, thank you, how does the pluggin work?

Edit: Nevermind, I managed to make it work.
Thank you so much!
I have a few questions though.
1) Is it possible to edit, the size, position and color of the timer?
2) Is it possible to use this plugin to trigger other events in battle through the same timer?
Such as triggering a dialogue when 60 seconds have passed

Last edited:

banoplz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, thank you, how does the pluggin work?

Edit: Nevermind, I managed to make it work.
Thank you so much!
I have a few questions though.
1) Is it possible to edit, the size, position and color of the timer?
2) Is it possible to use this plugin to trigger other events in battle through the same timer?
Such as triggering a dialogue when 60 seconds have passed
Let me know how the project is going, I am also interested in a time mechanic for my game and I wanted to know how what you were doing is going good and if you've found anything to approve upon this system.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

banoplz, please refrain from necro-posting in a thread. Necro-posting is posting in a thread that has not had posting activity in over 30 days. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

SF_People1_3 added!
index.php

I haven't been on here in forever wow(missed my forum birthday T-T). Anyways, I'm dabbling in BGMs, here's something I'm actually willing to share.

Binge-watched 6 episodes of the Erased anime... And that means I've watched half of it?! Sigh...
I'm bad at base-building games (looking at other players created an aesthetically beautiful base compared to me), but IDK why I keep playing the game and seek more of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pontus