Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is it letting you choose actions for your party members and are you able to actually battle?

Would you mind zipping up YOUR project and loading up so I can take a look at it please?

Chiakscare

Resident Tifaholic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oh, silly me. The timer and game over  are working but there's no battle screen for characters and input. It seems the battle system is waiting for the Timer to finish before doing anything. 

However, I've gotten the battle playable by changing the Condition page to Don't Run; the battle ends when the timer hits zero with no game over; still testing other things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, the timer will hit zero and there'll be no gameover, because that page is not running, which is what you told it :)

I have seen a few other threads where people have trouble with something similar. There must be something in the scripts causing it.

LucasRiot

HUMANELFO
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
N/A
See it? I tried many things...

I hope someone solve this mystery  :o

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's not just the conditional branch command. ANYTHING on a troop page with moment as the span seems to make it hang. Even if there's a Wait command in there.

Chiakscare

Resident Tifaholic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm trying it with Switches for the Timer and still no game over screen. Glossing over old posts has the same issue of the battle input vanishing.

I'm looking into other methods using post-battle eventing to get the game over going; if it works, you'll have to tweak it to make it fit your game.

Edit: I'm having very mixed results; when I can get the Game Over to work, there's no battle input; when I get the input, there is no game over. I'm stumped. x__x

LucasRiot

HUMANELFO
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
N/A
Edit: I'm having very mixed results; when I can get the Game Over to work, there's no battle input; when I get the input, there is no game over. I'm stumped. x__x
This happens here.

Chiakscare

Resident Tifaholic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm looking into Timer and Battle scripts but so far none of them are working. I'm not sure what can be done as far as Scripts go if it depends on the Moment Span not making the battle input hang, but they may be able to write a solution that does what you want; perhaps this is best moved to the Script Requests thread?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Moment span should not make the battle hang. If it does, why is it even an option? There is no purpose to having it if it can't be used.

Musashi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
That's strange...o_O

Anyway, you can use a common event to call the gameover:

Start the timer and turn the switch X on in the battle event (Turn No. 0, Span: Battle), then create a parallel process common event with the condition switch X to check the timer and call the game over when it's over.

It will go back to the map before the gameover for some reason, but it'll work.

Chiakscare

Resident Tifaholic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That's inspiring. I'll give this a shot and see about making a workaround for showing the map before game over.

Edit: This took some creativity with eventing, but I got it to work

You'll need to Fadeout the screen in the line prior to the one that starts your battle (wherever that may be);  the attachments are what you have in terms of eventing itself. Be sure to stop the timer and fade the screen back in after the Battle Processing line to control what happens in the event of victory without the screen staying black. 

Another solution is to let the map come up and have the enemy taunt the part; It's up to you on this.

Originally I had an idea for transferring to a black map, erasing the actor graphic, etc. but remembered how much that might conflict with battle systems that show sprites. I also cleaned up the coding quite a bit as I was tinkering; you've really helped me improve as an Eventer with this problem, so thank you!

A thank you to Musashi for help with the Common Event solution; persistence pays off, eh?

Now maybe we should see about a script request that actually makes Moment Spans usable in battle. x.x

Battle Event.png

Common Event.png

LucasRiot

HUMANELFO
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
N/A
That's strange...o_O

Anyway, you can use a common event to call the gameover:

Start the timer and turn the switch X on in the battle event (Turn No. 0, Span: Battle), then create a parallel process common event with the condition switch X to check the timer and call the game over when it's over.

It will go back to the map before the gameover for some reason, but it'll work.
It is the only way man! Thanks for your key item!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D   MUSASHI!

That's inspiring. I'll give this a shot and see about making a workaround for showing the map before game over.

Edit: This took some creativity with eventing, but I got it to work

You'll need to Fadeout the screen in the line prior to the one that starts your battle (wherever that may be);  the attachments are what you have in terms of eventing itself. Be sure to stop the timer and fade the screen back in after the Battle Processing line to control what happens in the event of victory without the screen staying black. 

Another solution is to let the map come up and have the enemy taunt the part; It's up to you on this.

Originally I had an idea for transferring to a black map, erasing the actor graphic, etc. but remembered how much that might conflict with battle systems that show sprites. I also cleaned up the coding quite a bit as I was tinkering; you've really helped me improve as an Eventer with this problem, so thank you!

A thank you to Musashi for help with the Common Event solution; persistence pays off, eh?

Now maybe we should see about a script request that actually makes Moment Spans usable in battle. x.x
Chiakster, thanks for your supporting!!! So I helped you too? Haha Initially, I thought this is was so simple. I couldn't believe that this was becoming a terrible headache!!!!!!!!!!!!  :o

Maybe a script can repair this bug  :ninja:

Chiakscare

Resident Tifaholic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I would suggest a fix to the Script Requests ( I actually just tried to make a thread) but I have no idea how to phrase it. x.x

Maybe I should just link to this thread and explain it... that sounds all right.

Anyway, I'm glad to help in seeing your project move forward minus one headache; it should have been simple, but the Moment Span issue made things a touch complex... but the eventing that worked around it was simple. ^.^

...even though I almost made it complex. x.x

LucasRiot

HUMANELFO
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey! When you win the battle, the timer is still running out and BAH, GAME OVER! hahahahaha

OH MAN!    ;_;   ;_;   ;_;   ;_;   ;_;   ;_;

Chiakscare

Resident Tifaholic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You're going to have stop the timer in the line after you call the battle (Battle Processing: Enemy X), then Fadein Screen. The Timer will be gone before the screen fades in.

Control Timers > Stop

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Moment span should not make the battle hang. If it does, why is it even an option? There is no purpose to having it if it can't be used.
It could make the battle hang if the page condition is true, since the moment event would just keep running and running.

It's up to the user to write their logic correctly.

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This looks two years old and yet I had a similar problem just this weekend.

I had shifted gears away from a closing cutscene auto-evac (similar to Zelda Oracles from GBC/GBA in reference for comparison) and decided to go with another classic game hook (same system combo, different franchise) and implement a sort of "final countdown" scenario where you basically have to hightail outta Dodge before the whole place blows. Meaning literally.

The solution I found was rather simple. Not 100% tested because the first such occurrence in my (more recent) project was created at the same time as my decision was made, but if you put a standard control timer in the trigger event (say Control Timer: Startup 3 min. 0 sec.) and then put detection in a common event like so (note the addition of a 3rd pop-culture reference):

Code:
#===============================
#
# ID 010: OUTATIME
# Trigger: Parallel Process
# Conditional: 0096 OUTATIME
#
#==============================

@>Conditional Branch: Timer 0 min 0 sec or less
  @>Fadeout Screen
  @>FadeoutBGM: 10 sec.
  @>Text: -,-, Transparent, Bottom
  :    : Doh!
  @>Game Over
  @>
: Else
  @>
: Branch End

...and then add the OUTATIME control switch to the trigger event:

Code:
@>Text: -,-, Transparent, Bottom
:      : ATTENTION ALL UNITS, AN IMMEDIATE EVACUATION ADVISORY HAS BEEN
:      : ISSUED FOR OUR LOCATION.  PROCEED NOW TO YOUR DESIGNATED SAFE
:      : ZONE. THIS IS NOT A DRILL. REPEAT, ALL UNIT EVACUATION ADVISORY IN
:      : EFFECT FOR OUR LOCATION. PROCEED NOW TO DESIGNATED SAFE ZONES.
@>Control Switches: [0096: OUTATIME] = ON
@>Control Timer: Startup (3 min. 0 sec.)

...you're gonna be in for some serious fireworks. Added pro tip: using shake screen in a companion process can really help sell out the aesthetic for a bit of extra artistic-authenticity flair, as would a blood-red screen tint.

EDIT: In the time since this I have switched to MV for development and found that it's a much cleaner prospect there. In that respect (and for comparison's sake) a useful equivalent for MV users (as opposed to the original VXAce solution) can be achieved with this plugin and an on-demand common event. For those still on VXAce as per this entire thread to point I don't know of a direct equivalent but the original solution still stands.

Last edited:

FrenchBulldog

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm pretty sure that's cause "span: moment" event pages run like autorun events, and not parallel events.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

@FrenchBulldog, please refrain from necro-posting in a thread. Necro-posting is posting in a thread that has not had posting activity in over 30 days. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

This is a 5 year old thread and the solution was already provided.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Exploding Fruits and Rasaks Pixelfarm Assets | RPG Maker News #108

So ghosts can go through walls and stuff, and depending their type (according to fantasy media) they can or can't interact with objects to a certain degree...

So why they don't always fall through floors? Do they always float and sometimes simulate walking? If things go through them how can they hear/see? And why sometimes they have clothing? Do clothes die as well?
my birthday was yesterday...
i feel closer 2 being able 2 get a discount on the kids menu than i do being able to buy booze1627428008986.png
Getting to play your RM game on Steam Deck? How cool is that?
The best among us don't set out to be heroes. They don't want that job. They just set out to do the things nobody else wants to do. Because... someone has to do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Switchboy0815