Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Does no one like cowboys lol? Seems pirates always get the love, heehee.
Make a Pirates vs Cowboys game.  :D   :rock-left:  

Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Let's Play complete (2 hours clocked). Result? It's a solid game, much better than it has any right to be. Not my favorite of all time but I can definitely recommend it for anyone to spend two hours.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alkorri

Proofreading Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you for the playthrough, Indrah! Much appreciated. Now no one needs to play it since there's video XD

But seriously, you gave some really useful pointers and I've written notes. It's interesting watching someone play through something you made.

B.Ultimus

Drinker of Coffee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I heard there was this really popular game on the boards called Tinkles Must Die!  I need to play this ASAP.

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
One month, and the game lasts two hours. And looks better than Zendir 1 to boot. Well, you win! XD

Alkorri

Proofreading Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Awww shucks, guys, thanks XD I still have lots to learn but this is a first step.

Geoff Moore

Composer for Hire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Congrats on finishing your game, Alkorri, it looks awesome. Tinkles is adorable! I'll try and check it out soon(ish). :)

I think the reason people prefer pirates over cowboys is because pirates are frickin' awesome and cowboys are kinda lame in most cases. So yeah, I'm chucking my vote on the pirate pile.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Then how about some badass cowboys (hustlers, rustlers, outlaws) to even the genre up?

Alkorri

Proofreading Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Haha, I didn't even realise this has turned into a poll! Don't worry, guys. I plan to do both eventually, in ways that are hopefully interesting :) It just depends which gets done first.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Just finished it.  It was delightful.  It was fun.  I really enjoyed it. congratulations.

One big bug, though.

After the final boss fight, the game semi-froze.  I say 'semi' because the water was still animating etc., but sprites didn't move, no dialogue, nothing.  It looked like an autorun event got stuck. It happened immediately after the enemy sprites 'fell down'.  So I've yet to see the ending.

Insofar as other people have finished and not had this, I wonder if the event assumes something/anything about how the enemies are finished off.  I'm just trying to think if there's anything I did that might not be the canonical way of doing things, and to be honest, I can't think of anything.

Alkorri

Proofreading Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi there, ksjp17! I am glad you enjoyed the game, and I apologise this happened to you!

I am a bit puzzled because in all the playtests and playthroughs, I've never come across this. To be fair, the game does lag a second for me after the sprites fall, but usually the cutscene continues. If you don't feel like playing through the boss fight (and I'm not asking you to) I could record the ending for you?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That's a generous offer, but it's a lot of work.  If I decide not to have another go, I notice that Indrah has posted her playthrough, so I could look at that just to find out how the cut scene plays out.

Alkorri

Proofreading Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You could :) It's just missing the music however, which is a shame. I was thinking of posting it anyway, for another friend who couldn't defeat the boss.

Reactions: Kes

kj3400

Hmph Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Make a Pirates vs Cowboys game.  :D   :rock-left:  
Why not a game about cowboy pirates/pirate cowboys?
I will try this game when I get a chance. If you can finish a game in a month, I can finish a game...no, that's it. I can finish it :p

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You could :) It's just missing the music however, which is a shame. I was thinking of posting it anyway, for another friend who couldn't defeat the boss.
If you're doing it anyway, it would be nice to have the music as well, so I'll take up your offer.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Just finished the game (in 2 hours 23 minutes by the save game count - level 10) and wanted to leave some feedback.

I didn't read the previous comments in this topic so as not to get spoiled.

Here are my notes taken as I played:

Nice font. It's very easy to read.

I start at level 3, interesting.

The description of the items are funny!

CP (Clown Points). Or should he call it Jester Points?

Learning new skills using items: I like that. One possibility could be to have somewhere a choice between two skills and only be able to get one. Just to add some strategy to the fighting style of the player.

Crossing the gap using wooden logs: the event needs a Direction fix checked as the circles became stars when interacted with.

After the eavesdropping on the three mercenaries, if you take the left passage: there seems to be an unlimited supply of apples in the jar with the bucket above it. Probably a self-switch missing.

A lot of interaction so far, that's a good point.
Curiosity and exploration is rewarded fairly.

I can't walk behind the earthstone?

Differents facesets: it's a must and you've done it well. Because having a smiling face whatever is said rarely works. Here you have a palette of faces that makes Tinkles more alive and relatable. And the dialogues were funny too!

Lancelot: If I hadn't read the introduction for your game, I wouldn't have known that Lancelot was my pet mouse. This is not explained in the game before finding the earthstone, in a dialogue mentionning Lancelot as Tinkles's mouse.

The Depths:
The book on the first map is non activable, yet the one on the map on the right is.
The common rats don't do me any damage. I must have a too high DEF stat from the Jester costume (not even Harlequin).
But the Fat rat hit me for 20+ each time.

Left of the tavern: I can walk over the rightmost broken statue.

Ogre boss fight: He's tough, but beatable. And the rewards are worth the pain.

I had a hard time finding the orcwife, as I was looking for an actual orc sprite.
After bringing her to Mashtok, they enter their house but the door does not open. They just disappear before the door.

Yeah, got the Ultimate explorer bonus!

Armory:
There seem to be a light source in the bottom left part, but I can only see the light halo. And there aren't by the braziers.

Garden:
The tree log next to the ballons in the north-east is having a black border. Either its "height" is too high or the light halo is too low to cover it. Or the tile has a wrong background?

Ending:
I laughed at the chamberlain's comment "The realm is doomed" :D

Side notes:

I had some little black dots on the walls and top wall tiles in the castle. Maybe you edited the tilesheet in an image editor and selected those pixels (and subsequently deleted them) by mistake? Like using the Select by color tool or something similar.
Or is it intented, as there are earthquakes, to show damage to the walls?

I liked the story and the background story. That is, the fight between Master and Magma and how these creatures will eventually reach the surface and conquer it.
Or try, at least ;)
I must say that I enjoyed your game better than a lot of the entries of the IGMC, all done under the same 1-month time constraint.
You did a really good job!
I'm looking forward to playing your next game.

Alkorri

Proofreading Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@ksjp17 - Hi there. I sent you a PM with the video link. Hope you can view it fine!

@cabfe - Wow, thanks for the feedback! I had fixed some of these issues (for the next update) but you brought up some I wasn't aware of.

I thought having Tinkles at Level 3 would help since he's going to be solo.

Haha, I know, Tinkles would be offended at Clown, but Clown Points look better than Jester Points to me :)

Infinite apples and broken statue are fixed, and I never realised about the earthstone and bridge. Will get that looked into, thanks! I also need to look at those black dots on the wall tiles. You're the second person to mention that, but strangely none of my playtesters or Indrah noticed. (Neither did I). I have to look!

I'm glad you enjoyed the dialogue and description of the items, heehee. And the humour too :)

Garden tree log - I think this has to be with a mapping error I didn't notice. You've got a good eye.

I'm glad you like the facesets. I spent hours and HOURS on those in the limited time I had. Although they are still amateur edits, I tried my best.
Congratulations also for achieving Ultimate Explorer! Again, thank you for playing :)

Evan Finkel

Modeling Beholder
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Why, why this game don't have a support banner! lol - well, seriously may I have one? ≥^.^≤

Alkorri

Proofreading Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Aww, thanks :) I...don't know how to make one, lol. I'll look around for an artist, haha.

Cinnamon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Downloaded & playing.

Solid game so far! Good humor. I like the "I see an opening!" bits during the battles. Add some nice, fun, random elements to it. :D Good job!

It's a shame you didn't enter this in the IGMC2014. It's really good compared to most entries. Eh, that sounds negative. REPHRASING. It's a lot better than most entries. There. :D

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Hey there everyone! My laptop broke unexpectedly recently and I lost some files I hadn't backed up . . .
Pro tip to anyone looking for advice based on existing game mechanics: a lot of people reading your request won't have played the games you're talking about. Always assume your readers won't have, and explain what the mechanic actually *does* rather than just name-dropping the game. I see this a lot.
 …So I was looking at a question someone had asked and did some related experimentation. Apparently the Jump… movement route command works like the ultimate through. Including letting you move around outside the confines of the map entirely. o_O
Jump.png
Okay so today I heard the dumbest theory I have heard in a loooooooong while. It's so stupid I just have to share... Appearantly I have learned to draw 'hot chicks' so that 'real men' get physically excited by looking at it and I can then swoop in and 'turn' them.... Wow... Just... Amazing how some brains works...
What the writer wrote: "The curtain is blue."
The readers: "There must be a hidden meaning behind this, perhaps to convey the character emotions ...".
What the writer has in mind: "The curtain is frickin' blue".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sumo