nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
aww....my internet is crappy can't download it...

but ! 

your game make me want to continue Nya Quest : D! 

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It's a shame you didn't enter this in the IGMC2014. It's really good compared to most entries. Eh, that sounds negative. REPHRASING. It's a lot better than most entries. There. :D
That... still sounds negative! :p

Alkorri

Proofreading Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Cinnamon - Thank you! I hope you got to the ending fine. I just updated a new version :)

@Nio - I know the pain of slow internet all too well.

@Zalett - There is now a support banner in the original post! But here it is too:

Smaller version:

Larger:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bloodmorphed

Dungeon Fanatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Congratz! I will have to play it later, but it seems you may have gotten all the feedback you need to be honest. Never the less, I will do so in the near future.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Gonna test this out sometime. Looks fun :)

oh, cannot download. google says too many people downloaded it for this day.

maybe upload it on mediafire too or somewhere else?

Alkorri

Proofreading Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sorry about that, Engr! Uploaded a new update with Mediafire in original post. Thanks for wanting to check it out :)

@Bloodmorphed - I appreciate it!

Kaiju Master

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Just finished it, it was fun but the end was kind of easy and anticlimactic, hope you continue work on it, that was fun.

Alkorri

Proofreading Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you for playing! By "easy", you mean the final boss battle? I will indeed continue to spice it up here and there. I appreciate the feedback.

Kaiju Master

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
yeah, it took me like 8 tries for the second to last boss but only 3 tries for the final boss.

SkyeRise

Friendly neighborhood fox
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I watched the first 20min of the tube by Indrah - looked nice. Just sadly it has the bane of my existence and source of my waking nightmares... random encounters. If it wasn't for that I would definitely be playing this from start to finish now. Either way, very impressive work for someone's first game in ONE MONTH :o

Alkorri

Proofreading Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you for commenting, SkyeRise!

I understand random encounters is not for everyone (I like having an indicator for them, which is why I installed one of the few scripts here). But even so, thanks for the kind words :)

SkyeRise

Friendly neighborhood fox
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So now in the current version you can see where the encounters are (moving) and you don't just get tons of the same again and again? If so I am so going to play the game after all :)

Alkorri

Proofreading Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sorry, SkyeRise. Rachael and Makio's encounter indicator script just warns you (when the top right orb turns red) that an encounter is about to occur :)

I'd been meaning to fix the weights a bit once I talk to Rachael, but right now, firstly, you're warned when an encounter is about to hit. Secondly, you can usually escape, and thirdly, there are items that can halve or even remove random encounters.

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Finally got around to playing this game, Overall a really fun game... not good at reviewing stuff but here goes:

The good

• Humor was very prevalent and a driving force but not overdone or overly distasteful. (a fine line that few will to tread, but it works well here I think.)
  • The back story told through random comments on items fallen from the castle and a couple of quick flashbacks were really well done. By the end I really felt for Tinkles as a person, something that as someone who generally dislikes clowns(sorry; jesters) coupled with the brevity of this game's development period I did not expect.
  • Attack command is almost completely worthless! Once more if you think through when to use what tactics it's completely unnecessary to ever really use it. (one step below actually getting rid of it, but the fact that free attacks can't be spammed to deal with all non-boss encounters is a real + to me.
The not as good:

• Battles were all fairly easy, this as a criticism I'll admit is very subjective, but it's at the forefront of my mind. The only battle that I felt I could have died at without actively trying was the ogre battle, all battles after that were a cakewalk (possibly because of an item you get during the ogre battle.
  • The kitchen sink: I'm not normally a proponent of developers nerfing things left and right after game releases (dark souls 2 uptight pvp community actively pisses me off because of how often my damn weapons change in nature with each biweekly update) but the kitchen sink really needs to be toned down a bit or be made harder to utilize effectively. I'm pretty sure that the act of using that move in a battle guarantees a victory at this point at least.
  • Blatant Orcwife Sexism! (I'm kidding, I just wanted to have an equal number of bullet points for each section.
Personal non-valid critique/opinion

• Makio-Kuta chibi automatically makes a game enticing... just because it does.
  • I hate clowns as a general rule in life, but this game was good enough for me to get over my personal hangups with them anyway.
  • why was the mouse referenced so many times in dialogue only to appear right at the end as a part of the background? I figured he'd have a more prominent role for some reason, or did I miss something?
Overall:

It was a fun little game that entertained me for an hour and a half or so of nonconsecutive play over the last week or so. The ending seemed a little bit rushed but did a good job of at least explaining why anyone cared enough about a court jester to try and kill him in the first place. Very impressive for a months time and an earnest accomplishment. Way to stick to your guns.

Alkorri

Proofreading Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Alexander, thank you so much for the feedback! 

• I have to admit, I did not realise so many people disliked clowns when I chose him for a main character, but I am glad that you felt for him! I tried to communicate his backstory in a subtle way, so it's a relief that everyone got it. This comment alone makes my day.
  • I've considered at one point of removing the Attack function, tried to do it, but due to inexperience simply did not know how to. In the end I left it alone in the hopes that players would use the other options available to them once they realised that Tinkles has very poor ATK ;D
  • You hit it on the head that combat is not my strongest point, especially since I was in a hurry to wrestle with the (evil) Database and finish a game in just a month. Since playtesting, I've been slowly ramping up the difficulty of the battlers and the fights, so balancing is still in progress it seems!
  • Ahh, Kitchen Sink. I knew you would be a problem. I've tinkered with you countless times, and now it looks like I will have to try again. Out of curiosity, Alexander, was the version you played the latest? I uploaded a fifth version (with hopefully more challenging battles) yesterday.
You rock :)

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
No, the one I played I downloaded sometime last week, so a few of my criticisms on the battles and such might have been resolved if it's been updated since then.

Alkorri

Proofreading Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I see. Sorry, Alexander, for some reason I completely missed your personal opinions! (I wasn't ignoring you, I swear)

Cabfe, Indrah, if you're reading this, you've brought up Lancelot before, so I will address this here :)

Why Lancelot isn't in the Game (semi-spoilers)

Oddly, you're not the first person to ask why the mouse didn't appear in the game at all until the end. I thought seeing him in the ending was validation enough, but apparently that's not enough for most folks.

Simply put, Lancelot is pretty much Tinkles' best friend, and I wanted him to be one of the driving forces for Tinkles to want to get back to the surface. Originally I did want the mouse to play a larger role in the game, as a mascot or even party member. But story-wise, I found it hard to insert the mouse into the narrative when I wanted this adventure to also be about Tinkles' self discovery and realisation of his own strength. I wanted the game to be about Tinkles' growth and maturity as a character. And sad to say, I felt that Lancelot would impede that journey. I didn't want to distract people as this being an adventure about "Tinkles and his mouse".

I could be wrong, but that's how I see it and how I chose to approach it. To me, it's like travelling alone to a foreign country. On one hand, you miss out on company and sharing meals and costs with another person. On the other hand, by travelling alone you have time to reflect on the things that brought you to this point, and how the things you're seeing relates personally to you. On your own, you don't have to entertain someone else or get distracted by a travelling companion. By those circumstances, with Tinkles on his own, he has little choice but to look inwards for comfort and assurance.

For those who played all the way to the ending:

It is this self-realisation that made Tinkles (reluctantly) agree to the role of Crown Prince even though the idea terrifies the pants out of him. In a sense, he had to grow up and know that life is not all fun and games. He accepted because he does feel a responsibility to make life better for the people in the castle, and he does wanna make a difference. Doesn't mean he can't throw a fireworks party now and then, ahem.
Or at least, that's what I was going for as the game dev. That, and very simply I didn't have time to think of a way of wedging the mouse into the story somewhere ;) I do, however, intend to feature Lancelot if ever I find time to make the sequel. Yeah, I've already thought of a story for a sequel, and a prequel, if people are interested in them.

And Maki's chibis are indeed awesome :)

In other news, I entered Tinkles Must Die for Game Jolt's RPG Maker Jam for fun!

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For the sake of avoiding spoilers:

I understand your point of view and I can say that we cared about Tinkles being alone in an alien world, looking for the surface world despite being considered a killer there. That part was well done.

But for the player to care about seeing Lancelot again, maybe we should share a little of their life together/their relationship. A couple cutscenes could be enough, showing them playing tricks as a duo (like, the mouse is sent by Tinkles to scare the queen in her bath or something). That'd create the missing bond for the player.

I know how difficult it can be to express something when, as the original creator, we already know everything and all about the characters. It's hard to be in the player's shoes and feedback is the only way to get this.

As I noted while playing, we don't even know who Lancelot is during the first part of the game (castle).
And good luck for the Jam!

Alkorri

Proofreading Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for commenting, cabfe.

I could make it a little clearer what Lancelot is in the very first mention. I meant it to be funny at first, actually, as Tinkles mentions Lancelot, and have the player wonder why this name for a famous knight is in a "cage" but I guess it didn't have the effect I intended.

I will think a little more on how I can establish that missing link you mentioned. Possibly when I get around to adding some content I had to cut due to lack of time.

ChalzZy

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English (NZ)
Primarily Uses
I'm going to play through some of this to see how its like, then comment my opinions later! :)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Just released a new trailer for Manafinder! It's the TGS trailer! :D I'm very happy with the result!
sooo... im gonna go ahead and release all my game ideas on android as Beta. Everyone will be nice right? cause its Beta... right?...

AABS traps and heals (detail is below the YTB desc)
 I may actually have something I can put into the Boss Battle Build Bout by the time it’s due. It won’t be anything spectacular (or even great (and maybe not even good (I have no idea how to do combat (yay for nested parentheses)))), but I might have a submission none the less.
Today's my first login since Jan 2020. Time sure flies. Sorry to everyone's messages i missed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moss-eater