Tint Screen makes me lag?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by xXAinSophAurXx, Dec 9, 2015.

1. xXAinSophAurXx

xXAinSophAurXx Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is only an issue I have had with MV. When playtesting, my game has considerable lag when I tint the screen. I tried replicating the issue with a fresh project and it happens again, no plugins or anything. I wanted to have one of the first towns in my game start at night, so I tint the screen to match and it lags like crazy. As soon as you enter a house I have the tint go away and the lag stops. I have no idea why tinting the screen is giving me lag, and I never had this issue with Ace. Has anyone had this before or knows of a way to fix it? Also, I do apologize if there was already a thread for this, I tried finding one but could not.

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    How do you tint the screen?  In a parallel process event?  Do you erase the event afterwards?  If not, the whole time you are on the map it will be tinting the screen, which is something that only needs to happen once.

3. xXAinSophAurXx

xXAinSophAurXx Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I have done it several ways, the latest way I have done it is when transferring the character. So when they leave a building, the transfer also tints the screen to night, and then it untints it when they enter a building. My first guess was that I had it on a parallel but that did not fix it when it was changed.

4. UnicronPLS

UnicronPLS Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I'm also getting lag from tint effects.  It also seems to get even worse when weather effects are also on.
    I've run it pretty much the same way.  Leave the building, transfer player, set tint.  I'm also aware of lag from parallel processing.  But I've tested it on a basic 10x10 map with only tint on as the 1 event,  and it lags.  

I'm running on Vista?  maybe there is an issue with that.  I'm not sure.  But it is pretty frustrating.  Also never had a problem with VXA.

Loving MV though!  Hoping this can get resolved.  

5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Please show a screenshot of your event that does the screen tint. One with the weather effects would also be good.

But first, if they are in a parallel process event, make sure you Erase Event after doing the tint screen / weather effects call. It only needs to be done once, as the map is loaded, not 60 times per second for the entire time you're on the map.

6. UnicronPLS

First Language:
    English
    like I said,  I created a 10x10 map.  only events are starting position and 1 event to change the tint (autorun tint screen effect  -- also have tried parallel process.)

I've tried what you asked also,  and no luck. :(  Its not an unplayable lag,  but it's noticeable and kind of frustrating.  

My system meets the requirements also.  So not entirely sure whats going on :p .  Nothing is running or slowing down my computer so we'll get that out of the way also.

It seems to me, that it's the event(or the tint) running it down.  Its not a huge deal so maybe I can wait and see if more people are having problems.  Could be a Vista issue (not alot of people using vista these days haha).

asdfffff.jpg

This is just me testing it once.   I've tried it in many different ways to see if my events were buggy(somehow).  I never had an issue with VXA

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2016
  7. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    why the wait before the erase? simply erase it directly.

8. UnicronPLS

First Language:
    English
    Because i figured someone would mention it as an issue with my parallel event. Either way it doesnt matter.

Not very helpful

9. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Please refrain from insulting people who are trying to help you.

You don't need the wait, because you've got a wait on the tint screen command. Please remove it and see if it still causes issues. If it does, then I suspect the issue is with a different event and not this one at all (you can test that by adding a new event page with no conditions and no commands, just to stop that event from running temporarily without having to erase it - and see if the lag still happens)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2016
  10. UnicronPLS

First Language:
    English
    Alright it's obviously not an issue with another event, as it's the only event on a fresh game.   I'm aware I don't need the wait.  Didn't intend for it to sound insulting I guess.
    It's not game specific or event specific seems like.  I've tried a hundred different ways.  I've re installed it and still the problem persists.   Weather runs fine on its own it seems.
    I did a stress test to see if it really was SOMEHOW my computer lol,  I put 75 random walking cats with storm weather on and it ran.  I've even moved my RPGMV folder around.
    I'm going to just live with it.  Maybe I'll try a custom script or two out and see if I have similar problems.  Like a fire glow or something.

11. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    How do you detect the lag? What effect on the screen are you calling "lag"?

One of the reasons why it's difficult to solve lag is because there are several different effects that are called lag by most people, even if they don't have similiar causes.

Giving a more detailed description of that lag might give a clue to what is causing it.

Additional questions:

1) have you checked if your graphic driver is up to date?

2) are you using a regular TFT monitor or something else for your display?

I'm asking because by default, MV syncs to the display and there were several cases where lag was caused by the settings for the display.