fazthestampede

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi.
I'm super noob and just learned RPG MV. I'm currently creating a game where I'd love whenever the MC's health depletes in a certain amount, the map's tint changes color (into afternoon/evening/etc). This is just me avoiding using parallel time event due to my limited skills and knowledge in implementing it.

So, for example;
a)
My MC's max health is 600. There will be events that whenever the MC touches it, his health will decrease 200. So, when his health reaches 400, I want the map to change into afternoon (A different tint)
b) Then, there will be events that whenever the MC touches it, his health will decrease another 200. So, when his health reaches 200, I want the map to change into night

My questions:
1)
What is the best way to implement this logic? Should I use parallel event using switches? or should I create common event that activates the switch first and then put it into a parallel event?
2) Is this concept even possible?

Thank you very much.
-Your humble noob.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
depending how you make it is up to you.
parallel process is 1 way, but you can check every 60frames.

Ocram_ParallelEx can help and only activated if the value changes.
where you create conditional branch, check actors HP and change
tint to your liking.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is just me avoiding using parallel time event due to my limited skills and knowledge in implementing it.
This is not very necessary unless you want to...there are tons of plugins and YouTube tutorials on how to actually make day/night time systems. You don't need a lot of skills or knowledge to follow instructions.

That being said:
What is the best way to implement this logic?
I would simply put it in the events that deal damage. So you have an event on your map that does:
Change HP -> Fixed -> Decrease -> 200
Control Variables -> Game Data -> Actor -> HP
Conditional Branch -> That Variable <= 200
-Tint Screen Night
Else
-Conditional Branch -> That Variable <= 400
--Tint Screen Sunset

or whatever degrees and colors you want. Then you just copy the conditional parts into each event that deals damage in that way. Whenever you want to reset it to daytime, you do.

There's zero need for anything parallel or any common events in what you're asking for. You could take the whole conditional part and stick it into a common event that the map events call, but...it's just a few lines of copy/pasting.

Johnny_Ray

Also known as Toby Yasha
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Give this a try and see how it feels.

Attachments

• TY_ActorScreenTint.js
    3.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

SGHarlekin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1656098970290.png
Probably what I would do. Should work unless I messed it up.

fazthestampede

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
depending how you make it is up to you.
parallel process is 1 way, but you can check every 60frames.

Ocram_ParallelEx can help and only activated if the value changes.
where you create conditional branch, check actors HP and change
tint to your liking.
Thank you very much, I will try that.

This is not very necessary unless you want to...there are tons of plugins and YouTube tutorials on how to actually make day/night time systems. You don't need a lot of skills or knowledge to follow instructions.

That being said:

I would simply put it in the events that deal damage. So you have an event on your map that does:
Change HP -> Fixed -> Decrease -> 200
Control Variables -> Game Data -> Actor -> HP
Conditional Branch -> That Variable <= 200
-Tint Screen Night
Else
-Conditional Branch -> That Variable <= 400
--Tint Screen Sunset

or whatever degrees and colors you want. Then you just copy the conditional parts into each event that deals damage in that way. Whenever you want to reset it to daytime, you do.

There's zero need for anything parallel or any common events in what you're asking for. You could take the whole conditional part and stick it into a common event that the map events call, but...it's just a few lines of copy/pasting.
This is a very helpful explanation. I will try it and learn from it right away. You helped me understand the real difference in using conditional branch VS ticking switches and variables in new event pages. I thank you.
I appreciate this very much! And where do I copy paste it? should I copy paste it in my .js folders? (Im very sorry that I'm embarrassing) lol
View attachment 230636
Probably what I would do. Should work unless I messed it up.
This is solid! so i assume that is a common event, isn't it? And all I have to do is to apply that in every map. I will try that and thank you very very much.

SGHarlekin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is solid! so i assume that is a common event, isn't it? And all I have to do is to apply that in every map. I will try that and thank you very very much.
Actually yes & no. It will be "applied to every map" by just turning on the switch at the start of your game. (That's the nature of a common event) The common event will then constantly be running across all of your maps. (if for some reason you don't want the health tint to run on a specific map, just turn off the switch when entering, and turn it back on when leaving that specific map)

Last edited:

fazthestampede

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Actually yes & no. It will be "applied to every map" by just turning on the switch at the start of your game. (That's the nature of a common event) The common event will then constantly be running across all of your maps. (if for some reason you don't want the health tint to run on a specific map, just turn off the switch when entering, and turn it back on when leaving that specific map)
I see. I will practice and try this right away. Thank you. After I succeed implementing it, how do I make different events appearing in different map tint/time? for example Mr.X (NPC) will appear at Map A only when it's night, but Ms.Y will appear at the same spot only at day & Mr.X is gone. Should I create common events on that 1st or directly go to creating variables for it? -thank you in advance.

SGHarlekin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can use the same common event I posted above. Just add a switch according to the time. if HP = 200 activate switch "night". You can then have your mister x event page only show up for as long switch "night" is active.

make sure to also deactivate all other time switched at the same time. so if hp = 200 activate switch "night" & deactivate swtich "Noon" & "dawn" or whatever switches you name.

fazthestampede

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can use the same common event I posted above. Just add a switch according to the time. if HP = 200 activate switch "night". You can then have your mister x event page only show up for as long switch "night" is active.

make sure to also deactivate all other time switched at the same time. so if hp = 200 activate switch "night" & deactivate swtich "Noon" & "dawn" or whatever switches you name.
Much appreciated! I learned so much from all this

SGHarlekin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is basic stuff. You just need to understand the logical process that should happen, then you can make truly amazing things with common events alone :D You'll get there.

Best of luck to you!

fazthestampede

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd love to reach that level of fully understanding the function of common events, the difference between variable & switches, etc. Thank you all for replying this thread and I'll keep on practicing and experimenting all of your suggestions and advice. Such an uplifting forum!

fazthestampede

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi. I tried the plugin and I just noticed you made it just for me, I thank you so much. Can I ask for guidance? I'm in the process of trying it. First I turned on the plugin and learned the components inside;
help tint plugin 1.png
Then I pressed OK
help tint plugin 2.png
Is my way in positioning it correct?
And then I tried to deplete my MC's health to 600,400, and 200, but the screen's tint hasnt changed. Did i do something wrong?
help tint plugin 3.png
Or should I make something like this as a common event? Or am I summoning the plugin command incorrectly? thank you in advance.

fazthestampede

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@fazthestampede you have to call a script call instead of a plugin command and also don't forget to include the ()
Thank you Mr. Toby, it works. Due to my lack of knowledge in programming as I am still learning, I'll keep your .js in my safe so I can use it anytime when I need it.
help tint plugin 5.png
it became evening after depleting the MC's health.
help tint plugin 6.png
but again, due to my lack of skills, I haven't figured out how to make the screen's tint turn into day again after regaining her health. But this is not a problem, as I have learned much.

All the tips above provided by various people all worked very well and I tried them all. Thank you for helping me, everyone. Much love

fazthestampede

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is basic stuff. You just need to understand the logical process that should happen, then you can make truly amazing things with common events alone :D You'll get there.

Best of luck to you!
I just finished trying and experimenting your suggestions and they worked wonderfully. All I need to do know is to practice applying different BGMs and BGS while the tinting transitioning happens. Thank you for helping me.

SGHarlekin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just finished trying and experimenting your suggestions and they worked wonderfully. All I need to do know is to practice applying different BGMs and BGS while the tinting transitioning happens. Thank you for helping me.
You're welcome. Glad it worked out.

fazthestampede

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi. I hope it's okay that I seek guidance and help again related to a similar topic/issue. After successfully making the day and night system using the health damage gauge above, I sent it to my kids and they're happy. Now, I'm planning to make another game with night and day system but not with health bar as a gauge, but manually doing it by making my kids click an event (which is a campfire). These are the mechanics/steps I did but I always failed:

1. The event is a campfire image [done], I called it "sleep"
2. when clicked, there will be "sleep til evening" and "sleep til night"
3. When waking up in their respective timezone, I want certain events to appear. For example Mr. X only appears at evening. Mr. Y only appears at night.
4. The MC in the end will able to sleep again til morning with different events in the morning.

I tried using a parallel common event to set up manual evening and night switches but it didn't work well. The tinting per day system got light up "disco-like"

Here is what I tried so far:
a) I created a manual tint with a variable (reaction crystal) because i want this event to run only after that variable. Is my setting correct?
help desperate manual tint 1.png
b) I set up 3 npc(s) the green hat guy is supposed to appear only at day light (when both evening and night switches are turned off). The purple guy is only for evening. And the brown hair guy is for night only.
help desperate manual tint 2.png
c) This is what I wrote on the "bed" / "campfire"
help desperate manual tint 3.png
d) what I wrote in bed/campfire for evening manual switch
help desperate manual tint 4.png
e) what I wrote in bed/campfire for night manual switch
help desperate manual tint 5.png
f) This is the parallel event i put on a random map calling the common event on (a)
help desperate manual tint 6.png

I believe I did many things wrong here. I tried to rely on my logical thinking but I failed multiple times. Any form of help would be tremendously appreciated. Thank you in advance.

TheAM-Dol

Randomly Generated User Name
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm using my phone, so forgive strange typos or me being light on detail, others will likely have a more refined answer.

Per the disco effect, you need to make sure to tell a parallel event to stop running. If you don't, it's going to repeat the instructions infinitely, which means constantly changing the tiny from normal to night, normal to night, over and over again. Use the"exit event processing" command to end processing an event. Alternatively, you can use the "Erase event" command.

Since you are manually triggering the time of day, here's how I would do it:
Make the campfire an on activate event.
The event asks the player to what time they want to sleep to using the "show choice" option.
On "if player chooses night"
Create a switch or variable (switch is easier for this scenario) called something like "NightIsActive" and turn it on(or if you went the variable route, set the variable to 1)
Set all other switches and/or variables to OFF or 0 that are related to your day/night system EXCEPT for the newly created "NightIsActive" switch.
Repeat this process for evening/morning/etc choices.

(to make this prettier, I would use the fade out screen command first right after activating the campfire. Do all the switch control stuff & tinting, then use the"fade in screen"command to mask the tint transition.)

Now for the NPC or other night-specific events, create the event. Tick the switch box in the event panel and assign your new switch. (if you went the variable route, tick the variable box, assign it to the variable and make sure it's set to 1)
Now they only appear at the time of day you have assigned through switches.

If other folks haven't answered by the time I get home, I'll provide screen shots and better explanation.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Food for thought. Factorio: Spaghetti belts make your factory inefficient as you fight for space constantly. Satisfactory: Spaghetti belts and massive clipping is the most efficient way to run your factory since it's the shortest distances.
ScreenShot_8_19_2022_8_51_4.png
Both Mike and Ray here are in a "HYPE!" state after Mike uses "Wild Party", which also heals everyone. they'll do more damage and counter more often, but defense is lower along with hit rate.
WHEEL3.gif
Ooker spookers and fun attack mechanics! What a Friday!
Not today... Not today...
I guess I should send my CV to Hasbro. I've made Monopoly cheaters edition more fun and challenging. I've developed custom cheats and chest/chance cards for it. And I've cleared many nightmares through my cards and rules.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Balalaika