Tinting Screen Time Frames Issue.

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by KanaX, Mar 18, 2015.

1. KanaX

KanaX Just being a mouse Veteran

First Language:
    Broken English.
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm sure this has been asked around a lot (and I have tried searching for an appropriate solution), but is there a way to deal with the problem where the player transitions from a bright to a dark map and there is a slight frame where the tint was like before?

I have the tint in a parallel process that is erased after. When the issue became awfully apparent, I started using a fade out at the transition from the previous room and a fade in after the tint. That still didn't work on every map.

The method I have resorted to is using a 20 - 30 frame wait command between the tint and fade in, which works, but makes the transitions painfully long.

Is there a way to combat this? Does it have to do with the number of events or the size of the map (regular lag sources)?

I have Khas awesome light effects and use his give command for tinting the screen, but it makes no difference in comparison with the vanilla (am I wrong?))

2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    SEt the tint to wait of 0 or 1 frame. I've done that, and had no issues with it between a fade in and fade out command.

My exact order is this:

Fade out.

tint to the new tint.

Transfer to new map

Fade in

KanaX likes this.
  3. seita

seita Donn_M Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is one reason I don't even use Fade Out/Fade In. I just use tint screen to transition between maps. Tint to full black before you transfer, then tint it to whatever the map actually is in the new map after you've done any processes you need to set the scene up.

Galenmereth and KanaX like this.
  4. KanaX

First Language:
    Broken English.
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
     This is actually really smart. Thank you.

bgillisp, I kinda figured that a tint before the transition would suffice, but I'd have to go to every map to change my events. But I might just do it if it works :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2015
  5. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Your tint screen shows a frame or two of lag when entering a new map because the event command is executing after the map is loaded. You need to use an event that loads as the map loads - a parallel process.

On the map itself that you want to tint, create an event, set it to parallel process. In it, tint the screen with 1 frame. Add an erase event command beneath it. This makes sure the event won't cycle continuously, and also make sure the event will restart again upon re-entering the map. If you don't want the map to tint every time you re-enter the map, simply use a self switch instead and create a new (blank) event page set to this self switch as a condition.

6. KanaX

First Language:
    Broken English.
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It is exactly what I was doing from the beginning. The issue still occurs.

7. Celianna

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am getting zero lag with the method I described.

My guess is - your maps are taking too long to load, i.e. you have a lot of events in them. How many events are there in your map?

8. KanaX

First Language:
    Broken English.
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The "my map" statement is kinda subjective, because it happens in multiple maps, not all of them necessarily loaded with events.
    But I DO use a lot of scripts, and have large maps.

9. Celianna

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Have you tried it in a new, blank project? If you don't get any lag in there, then it's possible one of your scripts is giving you lag.

10. KanaX

First Language:
    Broken English.
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
     I just tried it. The only thing I moved from the original project is the khas light effects. The issue remains as is.

EDIT: Figured out the problem; The Khas script causes the delay. I don't quite think it's lag, it's has to do with the processes of the script. It doesn't matter if I use the vanilla tint screen command or Khas's, the result is a 1 frame previous tint.

Yet Another EDIT: I disabled the Scripts Surface control. It works just right. Celianna, thank you for the idea to test on a new project.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2015
  11. Celianna

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sometimes, scripts can cause lag, it's your choice whether or not to stop using the script, or use the workaround that Seita described (tinting the screen black before a transfer).

12. KanaX

First Language:
    Broken English.
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Turns out what I found out didn't work either. Unfortunately, I have built around the Script a lot and I cannot just remove it now, or find another similar script. I'll have to use one of the solutions posted above.