RMMV Titans of Illumia (15+hrs Non-Linear RPG)

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Hopeless Dreamer, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Hopeless Dreamer

Hopeless Dreamer Tea Drinker

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @BillyBobJones
    Hey, glad you're enjoying the game so far and apologies for the lock there. I've been made aware of the issue and a new version will be released later tonight! I'll also try to add a contingency for anyone who may have saved the game in this location.

2. Hopeless Dreamer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Version 1.0.4 is up!
    Thanks to the members of the community for your valuable feedback!
    I'd love to hear any experiences you've have had with the game so far.

3. adam jones

adam jones Warper

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    the game glitches after the minister battle the light npc goes on a loop boss (just after u get the 3rd guy done) oh i went center right left

4. Hopeless Dreamer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [Edit]: Found the error and removed for potential spoilers.

5. Hopeless Dreamer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @adam jones
    Ah never mind I found it straight away... Glad you're enjoying the game so far and new version up very soon!

6. Peazomanco

Peazomanco Warper

First Language:
    spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Hi, thank you for the game, I´m enjoying it and I can say it becomes better as the story goes on. It´s being hard for me since there is still no tutorials / walktrhoughs I´m getting ready to face the first titan.

Pros:
    Story
    characters, scenarios, map design.
    battle system.
    easily dodgeable mob encounters (you can easy choose if facing them all or just run past them )

cons:
    Can be a bit annoying at the start due to the tools needs (pickaxe, shovel, bombs, I haven´t been able to get a pickaxe so I can´t reach some treasure or spots in the map.

I´d like to inform about some glitches that forced me to restart the game.

First one is after shopping in the wall´s shop, it starts a chatting which can´t be stopped.
    Second one is after being dragged by one of the sandtraps and beating the monster the character goes into a room with some chest, and there is a rope to climb down. after that room the character can´t move any direction.

Finally, in a mine, if you break into a wall and go out you find that you are not able to push the mine cart so it´s not possible to keep going further.

Hopeless Dreamer likes this.
  7. Hopeless Dreamer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Peazomanco
    Thanks for letting me know, do you remember when you downloaded the game? The mines and sandtrap issue have been addressed in a new version. I'll have a look at the merchant looping in the meantime.
    If you're looking for the pickaxe it's at the end of the bandit mines accessible in the prologue or appears in the entrance of the same dungeon in later versions.

8. Peazomanco

Peazomanco Warper

First Language:
    spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Hi, thanks for your quick answer, thought i had the 1.04 version, but got the 1.02 I will update the game.

9. Hopeless Dreamer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Added version 1.0.5 with minor fixes.
    -Sentient Timer
    -Sky Castle puzzle
    -Gulliber looping dialogue
    -Made pickaxe location more obvious

10. BillyBobJones

BillyBobJones Warper

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've encountered some other bugs/oversights right now in late game, but I'm still enjoying the game though.
    When sieging Galadria's castle, I didn't want to progress further because I still had two titans to go, so I left the castle to defeat them. When I returned, the big grey doors that were blocking some entrances that were supposed to be broken when an NPC sacrificed themselves, was still there. Even if I chose Yes or No when prompted to relinquish my power or spirit, it did not go away.
    Also, from the last mark from the tavern, the quest description for the mark said DESCRIPTION and the same goes for the steps.

11. Hopeless Dreamer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @BillyBobJones
    Thanks for your feedback and patience. I've uploaded v1.0.6 which should hopefully address these issues. The problem was leaving the castle reset some of the stone tablet progress but not the half that handles the restrictions having already been placed. Also can't believe I missed that description...

12. Peazomanco

Peazomanco Warper

First Language:
    spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Hi, again, the game becomes better and better the more I play. Almost every item has some utility Vs a boss and most of them have different mechanics. I have defeated all titans and getting ready to the next challenge.

I have found some other issues (haven´t played 1.06)

Leo, the captain of the ship, has no skill set.
    I still can´t do the sky puzzle.
    I have 3 cloak of the demon king crafted but I can´t equip them.

13. Hopeless Dreamer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Peazomanco
    That's awesome, glad you're enjoying the game!
    I can see what's happened with Leo, that'll be fixed in v1.0.7 with a few contingencies. Either use the save point before the Kraken boss or use the exit north of the room where Leo joins the party and his skills will appear.

It's a bit crudely done but here's a solution if you're still stuck.
    [​IMG]
    Also the cloak is a shield similar to how Final fantasy handles some mage shields. You might also not be able to use it if a character has a bow equipped or is dual-wielding. I've just had a quick check but if this isn't the case let me know and I'll try to see what might be up with it.

Peazomanco likes this.
  14. Peazomanco

Peazomanco Warper

First Language:
    spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Thanks so much for your quick answer, you re right about the cloak didn´t even check if it was suitable as shield since it´s crafted from an armor. :D

15. Blue Symphony

Blue Symphony Wandering soul

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey Hopeless dreamer! I downloaded your game and played all the way to the first titan and beat it.
    I have to say, I'm absolutely loving the flavor it has. When I read the first comments I expected the worst, but it turned out great. I noticed that you blocked other areas on the prologue wich I'm guessing are the ones that caused trouble?

First impressions
    I love the mapping; I like how all locations are connected and how there are multiple events that give you treausure on the map based on different key items you can collect; and the dungeon design, it reminds me of zelda, it brings back great memories. I haven't seen everything, but so far I'm really impressed...

So far the dialogue and cutscenes have been VERY brief and concise, wich is weird for this type of game, where the story and character depth is one of the most important aspects, I don't have a problem with that, but everything happens so far most dialogue feels rushed, but it isn't that bad. Another good thing is that every character feels different, wich is great; my favorite character so far is Lauriett, I love its design, his motivation, his attitude and his way of talking just feels right. I yet still have to see how the story unfolds.

Now the combat, the moment I saw the 'Powerbreak' skill from the knight and the 'Armor' skill from the guardian, I knew they would have given you hell while trying to balance the encounters. If you're using the default buff and debuff formula, the only way to balance those skills is by making the enemies crazy strong in order to compel the player to use them. Because if you don't, two uses of Powerbreak will result on most enemies doing 0 damage always. Because the player has access to such powerful debuffs and defense buffs, they can easily exploit them by stacking them, wich forces the developer to make insanely strong enemies that can almost one shot the player (wich doesnt feel fair)... and thus breaking the game. If you notice in most well known rpg's, they treat debuffs with kid gloves, and so should you from now on.

Since I knew this, the experience wasnt that bad; I felt it was solid, you have great enemy diversity (fast ones, resistant to magic, evasive, etc), and great number of skills, wich is fine, since you give the oportunity to the player to get the hang of it with a smaller number of skills on the prologue. I had a lot of fun actaully, messing around with skills, finding OP combinations, getting wrecked by stupid-strong behemoths, running for my life; good times.

Things that bothered me the most
    The difficulty selection at the start is not clear. Because it says "mode" and not "difficulty", a brief explanation on what means what would be great.
    [*]There should be a notification everytime a new quest is added to the quest log.

[*]That one encounter with the earth golem on the beach close to the merchant’s tent is straight up BS. At least if you're gonna put a boss that will one shot the player in an area accessible from the very start give the player a warning.

[*]The counterattacks from the fish people can get pretty ridiculous, especially if you're using the counterattack weapon. You may want to limit the number of counterattacks in one turn.

[*]I hate the fact that you made the silence effect very common amongst enemies when you literally never give the player any item to remove it, not in chests nor drops from enemies. Since normal attacks are useless, constant silencing from every enemy gets REALLY irritating, because there is no counter to that. I think you should give that item to the player in that dungeon more frequently.

[*]Are you sure you want to put an enemy that can give the regen state in the first boss troop? I had the first titan regenerating1400hp per turn during 7 turns. It was not fun at all, at least not without a dispel spell. I still beat it first try, but man, it hurt my pocket.

16. Hopeless Dreamer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi Blue Symphony,

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback and I'm glad your first impressions so far are positive.
    Also thanks for letting me know what didn't work too. I'm noticing a pattern that I'm not the best at explaining story elements or mechanics very well which I'll endeavor to fix fairly soon. Also adventure mode is less of a difficulty setting, it just lets you skip the prologue and jump into exploration, I'll add some text just to cover this next update.

The blocked off areas are actually just to prevent opening the entire game up right at the start when 1 party member wouldn't be enough past those areas. I actually tweaked a lot of the early encounters as some of their skills had implications intended for a party to face.

The golem encounter is absolutely a bug, when implemented I forgot to check whether the party had a pickaxe which by then they'd be prepared for it and even then there was a random chance it would appear. Seems when I was fixing this I've missed a rock...

You can remove silence through using an Ether and the spellsword's Mana pulse but can also be done with Recharge in the next update. It is a bit frequent as a loose theme in the abyss temple so I'll change Recharge to give it a bit more utility.

I'll also look into the counter thing as that can be a bit silly and a few quality of life additions like quest notifications.

The story is much shorter than it could have been, partly as I was intending to put gameplay first but also I wasn't that confident in the story and didn't want to bore anyone. I'm glad you liked Lauriett, I'm quite happy with how a lot his dialogue came out.

I can tell you I spent a crazy amount of time balancing enemies and I think it'll be nigh impossible to get right completely due to the non linear nature of the game. All I can hope for is to reduce outright unfair difficulty and hope players aren't discouraged from some of the crazier enemies.

-Hopeless Dreamer

17. lianderson

lianderson Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yo, when's the next update?

18. Hopeless Dreamer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Can't give you a concrete date as have work and other commitments but I'll try to get something up tomorrow or friday.

lianderson likes this.
  19. Hopeless Dreamer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    V1.0.8 is out, there are only minor fixes for now but I'm working on something a bit bigger that will either come out gradually or after a little while. Thanks again for playing and hope you all enjoy the game.

20. Blue Symphony

Blue Symphony Wandering soul

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey @Hopeless Dreamer! I'm here to say I'm having a blast with the game, and throw in some weird stuff I've found.
    I just defeated my second titan at the forest, I think I'm heading towards the snow town now.

Weird stuff:

Looking at this bush crashes the game:
    Bush.JPG

I keep encountering this green golems at random rocks, I don't know if they are supposed to be there, since I have no quest or what.
    One is here:
    Golem.JPG

Also, I think there is a pretty high chance that the Cape of the magi isn't really a shield.
    NotShield.JPG

Also you can wall-Walk to an area I believe you're not supposed to reach in this map:
    WallWalk2.JPG