RMMZ Title screen video after some time

XGuarden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
In some game if you stay on the title screen for a little a video will start.
I looking for a plugging that will be able to do that.
Need to be able to set how many second before video start, auto return to title screen after video finish and finally key press return to title screen before the end of the video.

I working with rpg maker MZ, but most likely any MV script will work as curently I tryed many and they all seem to be compatble.
Thanks you in advence.

ramza

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just made something that appears to do what you're asking. Give it a try and tell me what you think.

After a configurable number of frames, a specified video will begin playing. Pressing any arrow key, or ok, or cancel will immediately halt playback and return the player to the title screen. Moving the cursor on the title menu will also reset the frame counter, so spamming arrow keys on the command window will prevent the movie from playing as well.

Terms of use:
  • Free for commercial and non-commercial use, with credit to me, Ramza.
  • Do not edit the header of this plugin, or claim sole ownership of it.
  • Editing the plugin to add new features, or fix compatibility problems is allowed.
  • Redistributing this plugin is also allowed.

Attachments

XGuarden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
I just made something that appears to do what you're asking. Give it a try and tell me what you think.

After a configurable number of frames, a specified video will begin playing. Pressing any arrow key, or ok, or cancel will immediately halt playback and return the player to the title screen. Moving the cursor on the title menu will also reset the frame counter, so spamming arrow keys on the command window will prevent the movie from playing as well.

Terms of use:
  • Free for commercial and non-commercial use, with credit to me, Ramza.
  • Do not edit the header of this plugin, or claim sole ownership of it.
  • Editing the plugin to add new features, or fix compatibility problems is allowed.
  • Redistributing this plugin is also allowed.
thanks you. I just tryed it.
Its work well =:0)
But i also found some "bugs" or optimisation possible.

- First one is that the titlescreen music did't stop on mv so I get in same time music of title screen and video.

-Second point is how fast it change from title screen to video without transition. It will be great to be able to have a option for fadin in fade out. Like for one second the music start to fade out and the image of title screen fade out to before starting the video. Well as some video start with black and other start with white it can be interesting to choose the color it fading out to.

- Finally, even if its not usefull to me, it can be interesting to have option to choose many video and play them in order or randomly, maybe some user will use that hehe.

ramza

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
thanks you. I just tryed it.
Its work well =:0)
But i also found some "bugs" or optimisation possible.

- First one is that the titlescreen music did't stop on mv so I get in same time music of title screen and video.
That's fair, I wasn't testing the plugin in a project that had title music, so that's a problem I didn't anticipate. I can fix that pretty easily.
Also, you tagged this thread as RMMZ, but you just said you were using MV. This confuses me, as the plugin I made actually doesn't work at all in MV. When I put it on my itch.io page, I had to make a different version for MV because video playback is handled completely differently in that.
-Second point is how fast it change from title screen to video without transition. It will be great to be able to have a option for fadin in fade out. Like for one second the music start to fade out and the image of title screen fade out to before starting the video. Well as some video start with black and other start with white it can be interesting to choose the color it fading out to.
I don't think I can do much about the transition. All I'm doing is calling the built-in function that plays a video in rpgmaker. Best thing I can suggest would be to include some sort of fade-out like effect on the video to create the illusion that it is fading out the titlescreen before playing the video.
- Finally, even if its not usefull to me, it can be interesting to have option to choose many video and play them in order or randomly, maybe some user will use that hehe.
This is definitely something that can be done, I'd just need to turn the video parameter into a list of videos, and have the plugin either randomly, or in order, decide which one to play at play time.

XGuarden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
That's fair, I wasn't testing the plugin in a project that had title music, so that's a problem I didn't anticipate. I can fix that pretty easily.
Also, you tagged this thread as RMMZ, but you just said you were using MV. This confuses me, as the plugin I made actually doesn't work at all in MV. When I put it on my itch.io page, I had to make a different version for MV because video playback is handled completely differently in that.

I don't think I can do much about the transition. All I'm doing is calling the built-in function that plays a video in rpgmaker. Best thing I can suggest would be to include some sort of fade-out like effect on the video to create the illusion that it is fading out the titlescreen before playing the video.

This is definitely something that can be done, I'd just need to turn the video parameter into a list of videos, and have the plugin either randomly, or in order, decide which one to play at play time.
heehhee thanks you for your reply. It's really apreciate.
I actually thinked exactly the same thing then you about the transition. Unfortunatly it did't work like expected as we can see the moment the video actually start because I alway got a small glitch between real image and video one. Maybe because of compression. Also player may notice to be unable to move in menu during transition. Maybe then just make a option to fade out music and image to black before player video is posible?

ramza

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've got it so that there is a configurable BGM fadeout before the video plays, and it will now play multiple videos, in a couple of different ways (either sequentially, randomly pick one, or play all in a random order).
I'm working on trying to get it to fadeout the screen before it plays the video now, but it seems that the title scene cannot be faded out like the map scene can. I think I can figure out why, it'll just take me a bit.

Once I get that sorted, I'll post an updated version.

Edit:
Got it working now. Tested with a title screen that has title BGM playing, confirmed working. Tested with one movie, and with two movies in the list, just to make sure adding the list function didn't break the original functionality. BGM and screen fade cancel if the cursor is moved, or the ok or cancel key is pressed during the fadeout, too.

Edit2:
I added some stuff to make it so mouse input also delays the timeout, and clicking the mouse will cancel a video being played. Attached the latest version 1.11.

Attachments

Last edited:

XGuarden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
I've got it so that there is a configurable BGM fadeout before the video plays, and it will now play multiple videos, in a couple of different ways (either sequentially, randomly pick one, or play all in a random order).
I'm working on trying to get it to fadeout the screen before it plays the video now, but it seems that the title scene cannot be faded out like the map scene can. I think I can figure out why, it'll just take me a bit.

Once I get that sorted, I'll post an updated version.

Edit:
Got it working now. Tested with a title screen that has title BGM playing, confirmed working. Tested with one movie, and with two movies in the list, just to make sure adding the list function didn't break the original functionality. BGM and screen fade cancel if the cursor is moved, or the ok or cancel key is pressed during the fadeout, too.

Edit2:
I added some stuff to make it so mouse input also delays the timeout, and clicking the mouse will cancel a video being played. Attached the latest version 1.11.
wow it's working great, thanks you so much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just finished composing a boss battle theme!
Scripted a multi-variable weather system that randomizes wind speed, cloudiness, rain, fogginess, etc, while attempting to realistically account for interactions between them (e.g. wind speed affects fogginess, cloudiness affects rain, etc), the current weather pattern, and the player's biome e.g. swamp, beach, etc. Now I "just" have to tie visuals and sounds to the variables so stuff actually happens...
I'm having a headache balancing the combat using flat defense so I'm gonna use percentual armor, in this pic, Simon has 16 on Defense which means all the incoming damage will be reduced by 16% this will ease my burden a bit.
!Have a nice day everybody¡
SO glad they patched outer worlds for switch! I can finally play it! Weird that other peeps are still having issues. I know it was really chugging on my lite when it first came out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anjing_gila