To be or not to be: PC or Mac?

KIKIKIX

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm new to RPG MAKER and I am using MZ. I have one question: As I am a Mac user for more than a decade is it a disadvantage when using RPG Maker?

Thank you for your opinions a lot in advance!

Last edited:

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not really sure what the two things have to do with each other. Why would you being experienced with Macs make it easier or harder to use any given piece of software?

The only way it could matter is that Apple tends to cavalierly change things without regard for their users. RPG Maker MV games can no longer run on current MacOS because they cut OpenGL support - MZ is currently fully supported, but that could change at any random time.

But even then, that has to do with Apple's business decisions, it's nothing to do with you or what operating systems you're familiar with.

KIKIKIX

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm new to RPG MAKER and I am using MZ. I have one question: As I am a Mac user for more than a decade is it a disadvantage for using RPG Maker?

Thank you a lot in advance for your opionions!
I'm not really sure what the two things have to do with each other. Why would you being experienced with Macs make it easier or harder to use any given piece of software?

The only way it could matter is that Apple tends to cavalierly change things without regard for their users. RPG Maker MV games can no longer run on current MacOS because they cut OpenGL support - MZ is currently fully supported, but that could change at any random time.

But even then, that has to do with Apple's business decisions, it's nothing to do with you or what operating systems you're familiar with.
Thank you sou much getting back to me!

Many things I couldn't install because they are ".exe-formats". And the new update I tried to install was an "exe-file" again. That's why I started to wonder if being a Mac user is good condition...

KIKIKIX

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Like this update to 1.4.3

I can't install it of course because it's an .exe.

KurayamiBlackheart

Phoenix of darkness.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Windows is more "universal" than MAC, in theory you'll find more programs/tools and what not that supports Windows version and not MAC OS.

For programs in general, you'll have a better time on Windows, though it also have its own problem, for instance the system updates and lack of control over the OS. But there is programs out there that allows you to "jailbreak" that to take back the control of your pc (disable forced restart, etc etc).

The choice is up to you in the end, but I don't think you'll run into so much troubles on a MAC with RPG Maker, tho I might be wrong. Just do as you want, if you encounter issues you could always switch. I'm fairly certain the projects folders of RPG Makers are built the same on both Windows and Linux (when you edit the project) so you should have no problem copying your project folder, and editing it on a Windows later on (except if the RPG Maker editor is a different version, but again backward compatibility is a thing in both RPG Maker and Windows).

Arthran

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Like this update to 1.4.3

I can't install it of course because it's an .exe.
If you're using the Steam version of MZ, then your app will update automatically. I honestly don't know how its handled if you're using the standalone version, but I would assume (and could be wrong) that the system they use is modern enough that you can update through the app itself, rather than having to download a separate file from a link in a forum post.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
There is no standalone version for Mac, so Arthan is correct that Steam should have auto-updated it (unless you have turned that setting off).
The .exe file is for the Windows stand-alone users.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Happy treason day, Colonial friends <3

I am officially amused. One of the NPCs in my project is basically meant as the guy you check in with to point you where you should go next, including if you’ve been away for a bit and have forgotten.

I can conclusively say he does his job nicely. I was out of town over the weekend. I had forgotten what I was working on, so I checked what I had last done with him for a reminder. ^.^
While talking about anime with a friend got the idea of doing this. :kaopride:
4m6nhlF.jpg

Character: Mirajane Strauss from Fairy Tail.
Dog saliva is an antiseptic.
NghNgE9.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shirouinazuki