To Mack or not to Mack?

CrypticCuddler

Free Hugs
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Greetings, I need an opinion once more, because I've hit a snag in my game making and can't really go forward until I 

resolve the question at hand..

I have made what I consider a very nice map so far of the interior of the protagonist's house, HOWEVER, 

What I chose to do was make the walls three tiles high..why?? Because I thought it looked nicer, made more sense where things lined up, and wanted to

put up paintings that wouldn't be on the ceiling ._.

Mack versus regular compare.jpg

Now in doing this, I think thought of how things would look with a taller sprite..sure enough I think the Mack does much better with the mapping 

style I have done..but going about converting all my modern characters into Mack sprites?

Yeesh.

So I need an opinion..is the scale difference REALLY bad, or could it be something kinda in the back of people's minds rather than at the 

forefront?

Should I Mack it up?

Thanks for all feedback~

~C.C

That Bread

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I like the map! The mack sprite does fit in better with the map, compared to the tiny chibi sprites. They look way too squished compared to the height of the map. Stick with the mack, it'll take some effort but it will be worth it.

Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Any problems you may have with lineups with 2 tile high walls will dissappear if you edit your tiles accordingly. For most wall mounted stuff you can place them in the middle of a vertical 2 tiles to make them look better.

But if you're going to use very high walls for everything (and not just specific context locations) you want the sprites to match, yes.

I have to say tho, that maps is not at a level where I would try to make maps big :/ Reduce the overall size as it's way too easy to mess up big, empty maps.

Hoenslty I'd use 2 tiles high even for mack, it's jsut too easy to mess up larger sizes. The doors also look ridiculously small on the walls. If you look at your house doors they are nearly the size of the walls :x

Hollow

(◡‿◡✿)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unless the walls are vaulted or something, I think those walls look huge for both RTP and Mack sprites. :/ If you'd rather not have pictures touching the ceiling, why not just have two tile high walls and then edit the pictures in the tileset to be lower, like Indrah suggested?

CrypticCuddler

Free Hugs
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
*sigh* I see..I guess I'll have to scale stuff down then..@Indrah and Hollow

I'm a beginner, so I didnt really know the best way of editing the paintings to do that. How would I lower paintings so they'd be centered on the two tile walls? Or ANYTHING 

for that matter.

Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also your mapping style seems to have a few issues I'd recommend fixing...what's with that ceiling double thing =_= Also that floor...is stairs. All stairs. Single tile withd stairs. Seeing those two problems I can guess there are more, so before making a big stylisitc choice that will hoenslty make your  life difficult (youd have to find taller resources) I'd polish out some rough edges in your mapping first.

Or not. It's your game and I don't want to be bossy, it's just as I see it '3'

As for editing look up rearranging: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/3415-guide-to-simple-tileset-edits-rearranging-clumping-and-recoloring/

Last edited by a moderator:

Hollow

(◡‿◡✿)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, Indrah here's got a great tutorial for tileset edits if you want to check it out, Cryptic. She's also got one for mapping if you'd like more detailed help with that.  :)

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You'd have to copy the tiles to the E tile (which is reserved for your own use) and move them down 16 pixels or so. You can't do it on the image that currently contains them because it's full of sprites and there's not an empty tile to move it onto.

CrypticCuddler

Free Hugs
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Shaz The sprites were only there as example anyhow so that wont pose a problem. The tiles you say I need to copy to the E tile are the wall tiles I'm assuming(?) and how would I move them down within the database? Or did you mean the paintings and shrink them down in some sort of paint program?

CrypticCuddler

Free Hugs
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Indrah .___. IT'S STAIRS..WOW..*goes off to die* And the ceiling double thing was my attempt to make the lay out more realistic, housing structure wise, idk.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
CrypticCuddler, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

No, if you want to move the pictures down, then you copy the picture image from the current png file into the TileE.png file and move it down around 16 pixels, so it now takes 32x64 pixels instead of 32x32.

I agree on the walls too high comment. You don't usually see walls that are twice as high as the (full size) doors, and you don't usually see pictures higher than the top of the doors.

Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The double ceilings don't work =_= You don't want negative space (such as blank ceiling space) to call the player's attention. It's NEGATIVE SPACE; it's supposed to be invisible and unobstrusive as possible. Pick a ceiling and stick to it, or change it aroun certain rooms, but don't make it appear double unless there is two actual different walls together. (And certainly a house would not have that).

CrypticCuddler

Free Hugs
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Indrah Your words stung alot, but I guess that is what I need at this point, thank you.

This is only my first map, and my only map I have done, so you have all caught me before I could do more damage  lol 

I'll check out the tutorials another day and try my hand at it. For now I have to fix the mess I made ._.

Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well sicne you said you thought the map was good I assumed you had been at least mapping for a bit :/

God if that already stings I must be getting worse, my toxicity level will go through the roof soon. Where's my hazmat suit thing...

As for fixing, I recommend you swing by the game screenshots, as the flks there will usualyl point the biggest faux pass(ses?) right away and provide input and feedback if you ask.

CrypticCuddler

Free Hugs
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well I was blind, NOW I SEE THE LIGHT. PRAISE INDRAH, GOD OF MAPPING.

But yeah, I'll completely rework what I have and try my hand at the rearranging of tiles (also in your tutorial, NEVER thought of using hue/saturation tool to recolor, so simple and brilliant! <3)

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
remove those double ceilings, they look really weird... 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Yosh! Senkara made a fourth video on my game.
This time, finding all the false endings. :LZScheeze:

P.S, his thumbnails are absolutely epic!
GOBBLE GOBBLE! Happy thanksgiving.
Oh no. That moment when you try to fix something you modified in your game, like, a year ago but didn't want to fix then, and you now have no idea what you even did. Me right now, trying to figure out why my gold window is over stretched?
LittlePIGGY wrote on atreyoray's profile.
Where are you TT^TT
We need ARP_InGameManual for MZ
Oh my gosh. Thank you, Macy's! Thank you so much! You have made me very happy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
inago