RMMZ To My Father (demo updated March 2021!)

Ophiucus Games

Ophiucus Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
An adventure RPG with non-linear, open world elements and storyline elements.
Tags:
Adventure, Fantasy, JRPG, LGBT, Medieval, Romance, RPG
Story demo now available!
Estimated release:
Summer 2021

Synopsis.png
World.png
The game takes place in the Queendom of Wellhaven, a peaceful land inhabited my various magical cults. During a historic war with a neighbouring nation, the Grand Mage cast a spell to summon magical spirits from plants, stone and the sky to act as warriors to protect the kingdom. These spirits grew out of anyone's control and even after the war ended, continue to menace the nation.
P-Dason.png
The story follows the journey of a young male witch, Dason, who has been trained in the ways of Lunar Magic.
On the death of Dason's grandmother, he's left without family (his parents died when he was born). However, he discovers letters his father sent him, which his grandmother kept hidden.
P-Shaun.png
Along with his partner Shaun - a blade artist - Dason decides to set off to Borealia: a town in the far north where the letters came from, in the hope of reuniting with his father and only surviving family.
P-Alix.png
Along the way, they meet a young non-binary Solar Mage called Alix who decides to join them on their journey. The game allows for the player to take different routes to reach the destination and employ a problem solving approach, with multiple side-quests to add extra dimension to the game.
Features.png
>All original graphics designed by me!
>Original sound track
>Original 'blackjack' style card mini game with gambling system
>Original fishing game
>Learn skills from scrolls by gaining Knowledge Points (KP, similar to AP) through battle
>Augment your stats by attaching bolts to your weapons/armour - gaining KP makes the stat boosts permanent
>Quest system with multiple optional quests throughout the world with various rewards
Screenshots.png
Screen-Shot-2021-03-02-at-21.51.57.pngScreen-Shot-2021-03-02-at-21.59.11.pngScreen-Shot-2021-03-02-at-21.59.50.pngScreen-Shot-2021-03-02-at-22.00.28.pngScreen-Shot-2021-03-02-at-22.01.21.pngScreen-Shot-2021-03-02-at-22.03.31.pngScreen-Shot-2021-03-02-at-22.04.24.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-07 at 16.12.24.png
Download.png
Story demo
-
PC version > Download
-Mac version > Download
If you download the demo, I'd appreciate any feedback you have as development is ongoing. (Bugs of course, but gameplay/art/story suggestions also welcome).

Full version target release Summer 2021

Check out my first completed game, Ciorcal made with RPG Maker MV:
> Forum
> Itch.io

Last edited:

Ophiucus Games

Ophiucus Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Tech demo released! Click here
You can play up to the second town and trial the battle system and equipment system. Most features are running although there's not much content fleshed out yet.

If you download the demo, I'd appreciate any feedback you have as development is still in early stages!

artemisa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The game looks very good but I can't download the demo.
Google drive asks me for a request to be able to download.
I'm sorry. I don't speak english.

Ophiucus Games

Ophiucus Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The game looks very good but I can't download the demo.
Google drive asks me for a request to be able to download.
I'm sorry. I don't speak english.
Oh sorry I changed the settings and it should work now. Please try again and let me know!

artemisa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Now it's perfect. Thanks a lot.
When I try it I will give you my opinion.

artemisa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I love everything but what I like the most is the card minigame

chiithecat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I totally dig the art. Almost crazy about it.

The problem is, I downloaded the Tech Demo, and now I'm stuck in the air like this:
제목 없음-1.png

artemisa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No. That hasn't happened to me

chiithecat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry for the late reply!
I enjoyed the art and overall atmosphere, but there were quite some minor errors in the game.

1. I found the footstep sound effects a little awkward. Especially when I run, it sounds like a mouse gnawing.
2. The door opening and closing look weird. When entering the house, the door shouldn't be over the character before going inside. Same, when getting out, the door shouldn't be shutting over the character.
3. I can go over the bookshelf and chairs on the first floor, which I shouldn't.
4. When getting out of the bathroom, the door closes three times. (When I continue to push the down arrow)
5. Gets stuck when coming down the stairs right after going up.
캡처.PNG
6. I can go over the drawers on the 2nd floor. (all of them)
7. After I take off my clothes to go to bed, there is an invisible thing blocking me from leaving the room, which seems odd. I'd rather tell the player not to leave the room than just block them.
8. Overlay problem on the bed when I walk below it.
9. I go to sleep with only half of my body in the bed, which is fixed the next day waking up.
10. And..... I got stuck again while going down the stairs the second day. I played it a couple of times more to check if it's a temporary bug, but it wasn't.

Last edited:

Ophiucus Games

Ophiucus Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Sorry for the late reply!
I enjoyed the art and overall atmosphere, but there were quite some minor errors in the game.

1. I found the footstep sound effects a little awkward. Especially when I run, it sounds like a mouse gnawing.
2. The door opening and closing look weird. When entering the house, the door shouldn't be over the character before going inside. Same, when getting out, the door shouldn't be shutting over the character.
3. I can go over the bookshelf and chairs on the first floor, which I shouldn't.
4. When getting out of the bathroom, the door closes three times. (When I continue to push the down arrow)
5. Gets stuck when coming down the stairs right after going up.
6. I can go over the drawers on the 2nd floor. (all of them)
7. After I take off my clothes to go to bed, there is an invisible thing blocking me from leaving the room, which seems odd. I'd rather tell the player not to leave the room than just block them.
8. Overlay problem on the bed when I walk below it.
9. I go to sleep with only half of my body in the bed, which is fixed the next day waking up.
10. And..... I got stuck again while going down the stairs the second day. I played it a couple of times more to check if it's a temporary bug, but it wasn't.
Thank you for your detailed feedback. I'm looking more for general feedback (e.g. art, gameplay, dialogue, world building, mechanics) rather than bugs at this stage, but I appreciate you taking the time to write these up. A lot of the passability things you mentioned are intentional, because the characters' feet are quite small so for me it makes sense that they can walk across a tile that's only half or 2/3 filled with an object e.g. bookcase. But I will take this on board.

By the way, the reason you can walk across chairs is because you can press enter to sit down on them. I have made an above-head pop-up that tells you you can sit down, which I hope makes this more intuitive.
Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 21.11.56.png

I couldn't replicate the errors where you get stuck going down stairs, not sure why that is.

Thanks again and I hope you'd be keen to help me at the debugging stage - you have amazing attention to detail!

Last edited:

chiithecat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for your detailed feedback. I'm looking more for general feedback (e.g. art, gameplay, dialogue, world building, mechanics) rather than bugs at this stage, but I appreciate you taking the time to write these up. A lot of the passability things you mentioned are intentional, because the characters' feet are quite small so for me it makes sense that they can walk across a tile that's only half or 2/3 filled with an object e.g. bookcase. But I will take this on board.

By the way, the reason you can walk across chairs is because you can press enter to sit down on them. I have made an above-head pop-up that tells you you can sit down, which I hope makes this more intuitive.
View attachment 168582

I couldn't replicate the errors where you get stuck going down stairs, not sure why that is.

Thanks again and I hope you'd be keen to help me at the debugging stage - you have amazing attention to detail!
I didn't know I could sit on the chairs! Yes I think that would make the game more intuitive.
I was a little confused since in most of the games I played I had to access chairs in front of them rather than on them to sit.
About art, gameplay, dialogue, etc., I liked them a lot. Especially the art is very original; I've never seen such a unique character/enemy design and the map is great too. The bugs seemed to block me from really getting into the game and focusing only on the gameplay, so I thought I could inform you of them.
I know how hard it is to find all the bugs by oneself when working on a project alone. I'd be happy to try your game and find some more bugs when it's your searching-for-bugs-stage. Nice game! Good luck with your project. :)

Ophiucus Games

Ophiucus Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The story demo will be released this week! I've updated the screenshots section in the OP.

Ophiucus Games

Ophiucus Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm very excited to bring you the first story demo of "To My Father"

Story demo
-
PC version > Download
-Mac version > Download

Look forward to hearing your feedback!

chiithecat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd like to give demos feedback after playing them since I've also got so many useful suggestions from people playing my demo.
Is it okay for me to do that for your demo too? Asking because you said it's not the time to check bugs for the last demo you uploaded.
Are you looking for bug reports and general feedback for this one?

And I'm stuck like this at the beginning after some texts:
캡처.JPG

Is there any way to pass this scene?

Ophiucus Games

Ophiucus Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'd like to give demos feedback after playing them since I've also got so many useful suggestions from people playing my demo.
Is it okay for me to do that for your demo too? Asking because you said it's not the time to check bugs for the last demo you uploaded.

Hi - yes I am looking for bugs and suggestions.

the error right at the start where you stuck in the sky is very strange because iirc it happened to you last time but not to anyone else... I’m not able to replicate it myself. Will see what I can do. Does it display the text about grandma before getting stuck?

are you using pc or Mac?

Ophiucus Games

Ophiucus Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi - yes I am looking for bugs and suggestions.

the error right at the start where you stuck in the sky is very strange because iirc it happened to you last time but not to anyone else... I’m not able to replicate it myself. Will see what I can do. Does it display the text about grandma before getting stuck?

are you using pc or Mac?

Your game looks awesome, I'd love to try it. Do you have any plans to deploy for Mac?

Here is an edited version - hope this works

chiithecat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey sorry for the late reply!
I downloaded the edited version and still got the bug.
I recorded a video of my screen but don't know how to upload it here, so I'll show you screenshots.

캡처.JPG
The beginning text was displayed just right.

캡처2.JPG
Then this neat control configuration appears, with the character behind it on the air.

캡처3.JPG
I can go up and down on the air, but can't go right or left.

캡처4.JPG
Going down, I see these crosses and the text is displayed if I press enter.
But I can't go over it or turn right or left to go past it.

Ophiucus Games

Ophiucus Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey sorry for the late reply!
I downloaded the edited version and still got the bug.
I recorded a video of my screen but don't know how to upload it here, so I'll show you screenshots.

View attachment 183017
The beginning text was displayed just right.

View attachment 183018
Then this neat control configuration appears, with the character behind it on the air.

View attachment 183019
I can go up and down on the air, but can't go right or left.

View attachment 183020
Going down, I see these crosses and the text is displayed if I press enter.
But I can't go over it or turn right or left to go past it.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I just can't replicate this error or understand why it's happening to you!

I've added a skip entry choice so you can skip past this bit and enjoy the rest of the demo; but if anyone else finds the same error I'll have to try and fix it.

Updated file

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Made the "My Beating Mystery" board today:
3ENFLSC.png

in Grim Trigger episodes 3 & 4, the main characters play a Clue rip-off board game called "My Beating Mystery" (haha), so of course I had to draw the board for it. Can't decide if I wanna add blood or not
Jeez...
I finally decide, after several ppl asking me to, to create a gamethread about project M... And my internet craps out on me halfway through the process :(
making my first game is like trying to stuff all my experience with old games into one
so its slow and painful when i dont get it right... i bet the next game is gonna be finished earlier!
When you don't find any time to work... :kaocry:
First Ten Minutes of my Caretaker inspired game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KyN19