RMMZ To My Father (tech demo available!)

Ophiucus Games

Ophiucus Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
An adventure RPG with non-linear, open world elements and storyline elements.
Tags:
Adventure, Fantasy, JRPG, LGBT, Medieval, Romance, RPG
Tech demo now available!
Estimated demo:
December 2020
Estimated release: Summer 2021

Synopsis.png
Map.png
The game takes place in the kingdom of Wellhaven, a peaceful land inhabited my various magical cults. During a historic war with a neighbouring nation, the king commanded his mages to summon magical spirits from plants, stone and the sky to act as warriors to protect the kingdom. These spirits grew out of anyone's control and even after the war ended, plague the kingdom.
P-Dason.png
The story follows the journey of a young male witch, Dason, who has been trained in the ways of Lunar Magic.
On the death of Dason's grandmother, he's left without family (his parents died when he was born). However, he discovers letters his father sent him, which his grandmother kept hidden.
P-Shaun.png
Along with his partner Shaun - a blade artist - Dason decides to set off to Borealia: a town in the far north where the letters came from, in the hope of reuniting with his father and only surviving family.
P-Alix.png
Along the way, they meet a young non-binary Solar Mage called Alix who decides to join them on their journey. The game allows for the player to take different routes to reach the destination and employ a problem solving approach, with multiple side-quests to add extra dimension to the game.
Features.png
>All original graphics designed by me!
>Original sound track
>Original 'blackjack' style card mini game with gambling system
>Learn skills from scrolls by gaining AP through battle
>Augment your stats by attaching bolts to your weapons/armour - gaining AP makes the stat boosts permanent
>Quest system with multiple optional quests throughout the world with various rewards
Screenshots.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 18.43.15.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-21 at 18.44.19.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-21 at 18.46.13.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-21 at 18.46.58.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-21 at 18.49.59.png
Download.png
Tech demo released! Click here
If you download the demo, I'd appreciate any feedback you have as development is still in early stages.
Story demo December 2020
Target release Summer 2021

Check out my first completed game, Ciorcal made with RPG Maker MV:
> Forum
> Itch.io

Last edited:

Ophiucus Games

Ophiucus Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Tech demo released! Click here
You can play up to the second town and trial the battle system and equipment system. Most features are running although there's not much content fleshed out yet.

If you download the demo, I'd appreciate any feedback you have as development is still in early stages!

artemisa

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The game looks very good but I can't download the demo.
Google drive asks me for a request to be able to download.
I'm sorry. I don't speak english.

Ophiucus Games

Ophiucus Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The game looks very good but I can't download the demo.
Google drive asks me for a request to be able to download.
I'm sorry. I don't speak english.
Oh sorry I changed the settings and it should work now. Please try again and let me know!

artemisa

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Now it's perfect. Thanks a lot.
When I try it I will give you my opinion.

chiithecat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I totally dig the art. Almost crazy about it.

The problem is, I downloaded the Tech Demo, and now I'm stuck in the air like this:
제목 없음-1.png

chiithecat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry for the late reply!
I enjoyed the art and overall atmosphere, but there were quite some minor errors in the game.

1. I found the footstep sound effects a little awkward. Especially when I run, it sounds like a mouse gnawing.
2. The door opening and closing look weird. When entering the house, the door shouldn't be over the character before going inside. Same, when getting out, the door shouldn't be shutting over the character.
3. I can go over the bookshelf and chairs on the first floor, which I shouldn't.
4. When getting out of the bathroom, the door closes three times. (When I continue to push the down arrow)
5. Gets stuck when coming down the stairs right after going up.
캡처.PNG
6. I can go over the drawers on the 2nd floor. (all of them)
7. After I take off my clothes to go to bed, there is an invisible thing blocking me from leaving the room, which seems odd. I'd rather tell the player not to leave the room than just block them.
8. Overlay problem on the bed when I walk below it.
9. I go to sleep with only half of my body in the bed, which is fixed the next day waking up.
10. And..... I got stuck again while going down the stairs the second day. I played it a couple of times more to check if it's a temporary bug, but it wasn't.

Last edited:

Ophiucus Games

Ophiucus Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Sorry for the late reply!
I enjoyed the art and overall atmosphere, but there were quite some minor errors in the game.

1. I found the footstep sound effects a little awkward. Especially when I run, it sounds like a mouse gnawing.
2. The door opening and closing look weird. When entering the house, the door shouldn't be over the character before going inside. Same, when getting out, the door shouldn't be shutting over the character.
3. I can go over the bookshelf and chairs on the first floor, which I shouldn't.
4. When getting out of the bathroom, the door closes three times. (When I continue to push the down arrow)
5. Gets stuck when coming down the stairs right after going up.
6. I can go over the drawers on the 2nd floor. (all of them)
7. After I take off my clothes to go to bed, there is an invisible thing blocking me from leaving the room, which seems odd. I'd rather tell the player not to leave the room than just block them.
8. Overlay problem on the bed when I walk below it.
9. I go to sleep with only half of my body in the bed, which is fixed the next day waking up.
10. And..... I got stuck again while going down the stairs the second day. I played it a couple of times more to check if it's a temporary bug, but it wasn't.
Thank you for your detailed feedback. I'm looking more for general feedback (e.g. art, gameplay, dialogue, world building, mechanics) rather than bugs at this stage, but I appreciate you taking the time to write these up. A lot of the passability things you mentioned are intentional, because the characters' feet are quite small so for me it makes sense that they can walk across a tile that's only half or 2/3 filled with an object e.g. bookcase. But I will take this on board.

By the way, the reason you can walk across chairs is because you can press enter to sit down on them. I have made an above-head pop-up that tells you you can sit down, which I hope makes this more intuitive.
Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 21.11.56.png

I couldn't replicate the errors where you get stuck going down stairs, not sure why that is.

Thanks again and I hope you'd be keen to help me at the debugging stage - you have amazing attention to detail!

Last edited:

chiithecat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for your detailed feedback. I'm looking more for general feedback (e.g. art, gameplay, dialogue, world building, mechanics) rather than bugs at this stage, but I appreciate you taking the time to write these up. A lot of the passability things you mentioned are intentional, because the characters' feet are quite small so for me it makes sense that they can walk across a tile that's only half or 2/3 filled with an object e.g. bookcase. But I will take this on board.

By the way, the reason you can walk across chairs is because you can press enter to sit down on them. I have made an above-head pop-up that tells you you can sit down, which I hope makes this more intuitive.
View attachment 168582

I couldn't replicate the errors where you get stuck going down stairs, not sure why that is.

Thanks again and I hope you'd be keen to help me at the debugging stage - you have amazing attention to detail!
I didn't know I could sit on the chairs! Yes I think that would make the game more intuitive.
I was a little confused since in most of the games I played I had to access chairs in front of them rather than on them to sit.
About art, gameplay, dialogue, etc., I liked them a lot. Especially the art is very original; I've never seen such a unique character/enemy design and the map is great too. The bugs seemed to block me from really getting into the game and focusing only on the gameplay, so I thought I could inform you of them.
I know how hard it is to find all the bugs by oneself when working on a project alone. I'd be happy to try your game and find some more bugs when it's your searching-for-bugs-stage. Nice game! Good luck with your project. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

People1.png & SF_People1.png added!!!!

Adventurer:
"Why your body looks like a bird?"

Stranger:
"Because I'm harpy"

Adventurer:
"Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof"

*Both dancing to Pharrell Williams song*
Stream will be live shortly with a make-up session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
Pootscooter wrote on Pharonix's profile.
Hey @Pharonix, just wondering what you're up to lately and if you've had an opportunity to check out the LTBS thread in the past few days...(a couple of us could really use your expertise). Hope you are well and Happy Thanksgiving!
Anyone know the best size image to put in signature?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GhostPunishR