Hyouryuu-Na

Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello. This is the first game I've ever finished. And I sure hope it's not the last. I started to work on it on 13th April for the No travel game jam. Since it's my first game, I was a bit slow and I finished it in a hurry. It's not perfect at all but I hope it's not terrible. I mean, not even I like the plot XD I can't seem to do well in huge areas like towns. I tend to think more about one location, indoors. So this was actually a challenge for me... getting those locations to link with each other. I just hope there's one person out there who will enjoy this ^^

Synopsis:
You play as a woman named Sayuri living in a small, simple town. Recently a laboratory made a mistake in the waste disposal causing a virus bearing the genetic properties of a spider to spread around the town. The town is now empty- most people either dead or have become spider-human mutants who seek human flesh more than anything. All forms of communication are broken and you are extremely worried about your sister who lives in the city. So you must survive the night and explore different areas of the town to prepare for your journey to capital, you must survive to see tomorrow.

Characters:
Sayuri:
1588270196276.png
A quiet, reserved woman in her late 20s. She wants to go to the city but she has to prepare for her long journey. So she explores different areas in the town for useful items.

Kaede:

1588270221823.png
An overly cautious, shy teen. He meets Sayuri during her exploration in his house which she assumed to be abandoned. He pursades her to help him find his sister in the town's only high school.

Non-major characters:
Aki:

Kaede's younger sister. She was at school with her friends when the creatures entered, causing her to become trapped in a room.

What you can do in this game:
Explore different settlements of the town.
Try to find items and unlock new rooms.
Get away from enemies who chase you.
Experience 4 different endings.

Screenshots:
1588270622059.png
1588270936635.png

Download- Updated: 11:27 AM (GMT), May 7:

Credits:
Playtest
tale

Plugins
Yanfly
Galv
Quasi
HimeWorks
Khas
Exhydra
Vlue
Biud436
William Ramsey
Azel
JavaHut
Moghunter
Mr. Trivel

Graphics
Avery
Hiddenone
Whtdragon
Pixel Art World
Sato

Sound
ZapSlat
Vita-Chi-Sozaiken

Last edited:

Hyouryuu-Na

Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I realized there were lots of errors with the game after posting this. I fixed them all, I think. Now it's a lot more stable. If there are any more problems, please tell me so I can fix those.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I found 6 mistakes, you can go behind the carpet in the batroom, behind the toilet,
on the table to get a brunsh (not visible), pshing the chair to teh rope part doesn't work,
keys are kinda unknown where to use it while the doors upstairs stays locked.

the spider can trap you by the bookshelf so you cant go out so you are stuck.
when loading a file, I got this error:
errortst.png

Hyouryuu-Na

Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yep I found those a while after I posted the game... I didn't have time to playtest the whole thing (did them in segments) so problems keep popping up now.
I have to recheck passabilities again.
Spiders can make you stuck... that's the point of having an enemy chase you.
I fixed the save file not loading thing (by disabling saves while you're being chased)
But I haven't had any issues pushing the chair... someone else is also playtesting for me and they haven't either...
I've updated the file. If you want to review this, please download agin in a few days. I'm sure I have plenty more bugs to fix right now TT
Thanks for letting me know about the bugs ^^

Edit: @ShadowDragon You're playing a verry old version. I must've updated the file like 15 time since yesterday XD That version is broken. Delete it XD

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
pushing the chair show a scene, but its behind it instead of ON it, but you are basicly
stuck after it :p so see if you can playtest everything, collisions etc and see if its working properly,
same thing after deployment to make sure the player cant be stuck.

Hyouryuu-Na

Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I see. I've updated the file so that getting stuck issue should be gone. (couldn't fix the behind chair thingy. I just saw it and was like... "I don't care. I have other stuff to event". was very close to the deadline and stuff)

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I'm getting an error (404) when I click on your download link.

Hyouryuu-Na

Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I updated the file. Maybe you clicked on it when it was still deleted. Can you download it now?

deficiencyproductionz

Deficiency Productionz
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is it updated? I'm really looking forward to this game.

Hyouryuu-Na

Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It needs some more bugfixes. @tale was kind enough to playtest for me. Thanks to that I've managed to fix most of the issues but currently there's some problems with the endings (You can still get an ending but the if else conditions are messed up and not how I planned them to be lmao) I haven't been feeling well today so I will probably make the final update tomorrow.

Last edited:

Hyouryuu-Na

Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello ^^ I've updated the game. This is probably the last update as I have no intention of doing anything with this anymore. Just the effort taken to fix the bugs drained me of any affection I had for this project XD
If you've downloaded this before, please delete the older game and redownload it since you are most likely to get stuck (literally get stuck. The older version had problems with autorun events) is you play the old one.
Have fun playing! (even though it's probably very bad)

RCXDan

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello @Hyouryuu-Na , what are you supposed to do after you get the library key? I have no idea what else to do.

Hyouryuu-Na

Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You're supposed to open the library and see if you can get a coin inside. There are 10 coins scattered around the school (mostly in classrooms)... In case you haven't found the classroom master key, make sure you've read the notes in the computer in the faculty room. It will give you a hint about where it may be. A lot happens with a lot of items... I wonder did I make it too hard?
If you have problems clearing the school, you can send me a message.

RCXDan

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Hyouryuu-Na I finished it thanks to tale's help and here's what I have to say:

Pros:

+ You draw very well! I like your character designs. Their expressions are a little subdued at times, but other than that they're very nice. Personalities aren't half bad, either.
+ The lighting, lack of music and the sounds of the monsters makes this real creepy. I like this kind of mood.
+ Regenerating HP! At least you're not screwed if you get yourself into a tight spot. I also like how a HP bar is always present to help keep track of it, though maybe reducing it to like... 50 would make things much more tense.
+ The pixel movement guarantees you can't get trapped by monsters, which is huge.
+ This writing is good. There's some typos, but things make sense.
+ I adore how the interiors look, they actually look like houses
+ Yo, these monsters are freaky. I love horror movie show stuff like this, it's certainly a lot more creative than just zombies again. (No offense to the guys who had zombies)
+ I like the randomized code for the principal's door
+ I like that an ending is decided based on your ammo count.
+ Alternate methods of dealing with the science room monster! Very cool.
+ The bad endings are suitably messed up.
+ Good ending is good. The fact there's even multiple endings is hella ambitious.

Cons:

- The scrolling text at the start goes a little too fast? Maybe have it be like the diary entry later on in the school where you can scroll through it manually.
- So in the kitchen, when you push the table towards the upper right spot, the screen darkened one time and it didn't turn back to normal. I'm not sure what caused it, since I could still move and interact while in the dark.
- Second floor, right door. "The door is locked" but the sprite shows it opening before fixing itself. Oops.
- I don't like that you have to "use" the item through the menu instead of just having it being used automatically. Even Resident Evil brings up a prompt of "do you want to use [x] item". It doesn't help that you're not told this.
- The rusted key puzzle was a little obtuse. Even a hint as small as "I need something to clean this" would help the player figure out what to do. My problem was that I tried to use the items through the menu and nothing kept happening.
- I feel the game would have vastly benefitted a lot more from "sparkly points" or "exclamation balloons" to see which things are interactable and which aren't. The school map shimmers, but the computers that are turned on don't? The one that threw me for a massive loop was the art room key in the janitor's room, since it doesn't seem like something you can search.
- Why are the library and art rooms unmarked but every other door is marked?
- So the library has a big spider monster, but you can save in his room? I saved because I was curious and I got this error.
- The process of the ten school coins is pretty obscure and just feels like padding, like... even if you knew the water bottle from the vending machine was important, it just feels like aimless wandering without something else to do. Maybe cut the school coin count requirement in half, while still having leftovers so the player can end that sequence early.
- The game seems to hardlock when you use an object on the withered plant after you use the bottle. I don't know what causes this, or if it's just my computer being awful like always.
- The first floor bathroom exits teleport you to the second floor ones
- I pressed the menu button by accident while looking at the picture of acids in the science room and the picture doesn't go away.
- Bunsen burner doesn't have text to signify this is it.
- The egg burning scene was surprisingly anticlimatic with no sound
- "He was throwing fit every five seconds" should have an "a" between throw and fit.
- "ecperience" should be "experience".
- Quite a few tileset errors.
- I get the feeling this dude isn't meant to be schmoozing in on their conversation.

Observations:

= It is utterly bizarre to have a game with no menu sound effects. I mean, it's better than having annoying ones, but still. Not a problem, just an observation.
= Autosave capability, but it only does it once when the timer activates. I went through the whole game thinking it didn't work.
= Pixel movement
= Point and click map!
= Got the bad ending first
= A good way to improve replayability is to make stuff like the parts where you have to type in passwords non-linear. Like, making it a thing you can solve whenever you want. Yeah, it doesn't make sense in-universe, but it's a good way to make the player feel clever and adds non-linearity.

Analysis:

This was your first game? Sheeeeit, I wish my first game was even half this good. You have a very strong handle of what makes good horror, and I feel if you keep iterating on what you have, you can make some amazing stuff. It doesn't feel out of nowhere or particularly shlocky. It's kinda grounded.

That said, holy hell this was frustrating to play blind. I understand making environmental puzzles aren't easy and that you don't want to hold the player's hand, but this was the opposite extreme: I had no idea what to do several times. There's a lot of inconsistencies: the school map glowed yet was completely useless, but the art room key, a required item, doesn't? It kinda reminds me of that skit from the AVGN's Super Pitfall episode.

There's little direction, which is infinitely more frustrating because the actual plot is not half bad. It's a little simple, but that's not bad either. I actually wanted to keep playing to see how it ended, and those endings were worth it. There just needed to be a lot more hints.

If you feel discouraged from this project or from seeing all of those cons, don't be. For your first released project it's a moderately decent RPG Maker horror game, and hopefully with all this advice you can build the foundation to be much better for the future. You have great potential, and I'd be happy to see more of your work. :kaopride:

Hyouryuu-Na

Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for reviewing the game! I am very grateful because the next time I will be very careful to not make these mistakes again ^^ And so many pros!? I didn't think there'd be any XD
Oh and I must say, I didn't draw the faces. I can't draw that good TT These are made via a faceset generator from wolf RPG editor (which can be used in rm; I talked to a mod about it)
Yeah... I wish I could solve those inconsistencies... I made the entire thing so hurriedly I didn't think about the player's difficulty solving it. When tale playtested it, they listed me a ton of errors which I frantically tried to fix. The number of maps for this small game is 40+ I couldn't go inside all events to fix these inconsistencies. Hence I forgot to make certain items glow. When you get the school map, the names show above doors. But I suppose I should've made an actual map, huh?
The lack of sound is pretty annoying I agree. I didn't like the default ones and I also didn't have time to search for non default ones...
There are a lot of bugs still left even. Thanks for pointing them out! I really appreciate it. I'll definitely mind your advices when I work on my future projects! Thanks again ^^

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I gave your game a try, but horror games aren't really my cup of tea so I didn't get too far into it.
⦁ These notes are taken as I'm playing
⦁ Playing the first version, because it's what I downloaded

⦁ Please don't use scrolling text for intros! It's just not easy for some players to read, and if there are any important points in it they could be missed

⦁ Oh, okay I literally can't play this because the screen is too dark. Being able to see only one tile in from of me isn't fun, so I'll break my 'no downloading updated versions' rules to see if this is fixed in the newer version

⦁ Hmm, I think I've figured out the issue with the lighting. There is a Brightness setting in the Options menu that starts at 10, but if the player interacts with it it changes to a 'True/False' choice... And makes the screen totally black. That's a major issue, you should remove the Brightness setting to keep people from accidentally setting their game to hard mode. The only way I could fix it is by deleting all the save data
darkness_everlasting.gif
⦁ All that said, it's still very dark on my monitor. Unless the point is to make it hard to navigate the maps, there's no reason for it to be so dark (dark doesn't equal scary)

⦁ The little popups above some important items is a nice touch, though it would be nice if it was over all the interactables

⦁ It would be nice to be able to pull the chair in the kitchen as well as push it

⦁ It's mean that the spiders can keep moving while I'm in a cutscene. I was looking at the bookcase with the cleaning book and didn't close Sayuri's message box quickly so the spider has trapped me in the corner with no way to get passed. The game is training me to not read message boxes if there's a spider in the room because I don't want it to kill me again, which I doubt is what you wanted

⦁ Why isn't there always a message when you try to use an item somewhere? I play without sound because of headaches, so without any visual feedback I can't tell if I'm just not using the right key or if this drawer behind the locked door on the left of the 2nd floor is broken

⦁ Using the stairs is a bit bothersome because of the placement. To go downstairs you have to hit the up arrow key, but it spawns the player so close to the transfer on the first floor that it's possible to accidentally go right back upstairs. An easy fix would be to set the player at the base of the stairs instead of at the top

⦁ The couch cuts off Sayuri's head if you go behind it (the spider can also trap the player back there with almost no way to escape...)
headless sayuri.png
⦁ The passability of certain tiles is confusing. I honestly don't think you need to have pixel movement in a game like this where you need to stand in the right spots to activate events.

⦁ What's the point of having an Autosave file if it doesn't work? I just ended the game because I wanted to double-check something, but to my horror it turns out the game hasn't been saving like I thought it would

⦁ Okay, I figured out why the locked drawer was giving me so much trouble. Turns out the key only works if the player is facing up, which is unfortunate because the "The drawer is locked." message also plays when facing to the left. So all my attempts to use keys failed just because I wasn't facing the correct direction...

⦁ I had to check the Vinegar twice before I got the option to take it. Did Sayuri forget we needed that?

⦁ I've managed to clean off the Rusty Key, but I'm going to stop here. Using items to solve puzzles is a nice idea, but right now the gameplay is too clunky to make it a lot of fun. Streamlining the Use Item option, by doing something like equipping items so that you can just hit a key to use it on a map or having the 'select item' menu pop up would be nicer as a player

Overall, I can understand that some people enjoy puzzle/adventure horror games like this but it's just not for me. If it was just 'dodge monsters' or just 'search and solve puzzles' I'd probably be okay, but the mix of the two doesn't work for me. It sounds like you're not planning on working on this anymore, so hopefully you're able to take some of the feedback to make even better games in the future. Good luck with your future projects! :rwink:

Hyouryuu-Na

Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@hiddenone Thanks for the feedback ^^ I really love horror exploration rpgs but making one really made me realize it requires a lot of work for the game to be enjoyed by the player. I had very little time. When everyone was posting little updates that they're almost done or their games are coming out nicely, I was still thinking about what to do. Outdoor stuff are... not my thing. For an introvert I suppose I like mapping indoors a lot ^^ So I settled on something that I could do. But I missed so much stuff... two others have said they were confused about what to do. I should've given more hints. And yeah... I really tried to disable enemy movement during cutscenes but I just couldn't find a way. And why the hell I chose to use pixel movement? XD it was a bad choice. It made my work a lot harder as it required many more condition checks and stuff.
The brightness settings should be working though... have you tried using left and right keyboard keys while it being highlighted? (pressing enter turns it into false and couldn't get rid of the false thing because the plugin didn't allow it)
Thanks again for the feedback! I'll work more on these and hopefully, make better games in the future ^^

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Sometimes bigger isn't better. It's clear that there's more to the game than what I saw, but I feel like if you had just focused on the one house and had polished that you may have had less troubles. :) But I totally understand how hard it is to keep a game idea from growing.
The brightness settings should be working though... have you tried using left and right keyboard keys while it being highlighted? (pressing enter turns it into false and couldn't get rid of the false thing because the plugin didn't allow it)
I didn't try that, because it's habit to use the spacebar to change things in the Options menu. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only player who does that, so if you want to use that plugin in the future make sure to look into a way to fix that error (or at least a way to warn the player about it).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
--- Anti-Bear Circle ---

F.Fighter: Shoot! that Bear is really stronger than i expected!
Hero: Don't worry,i perform this (Draw The Big Circle On The Ground)
F.Fighter: What are you doing?
Hero: It's Anti-Bear Circle. the Bear will never attacking u---
(The Bear attacking Hero F.Fighter)
Hey guys!I didn't remember to put here but here is a new page from my devlog focused on my new trailer of Luke Inn! Hope you guys enjoy it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilithme