Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Got a new computer arriving soon - hopefully will be installing all my program this weekend. Debating whether to install Steam or not ... what do you think?

I really don't like the platform at all! So looking for folks to sell me on the benefits - what am I missing if I don't get it, and stick with standalone?

- if I install Steam, I have easy access to all versions of each engine - does that mean I can install multiple versions of MV in multiple locations, or will it just replace whatever version I have with whatever version I want to go to?

- is there stuff available on Steam that isn't available in the RMWeb store?

Workshop, social, cloud are not things I'll use.

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Do you plan on releasing games on Steam?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if I install Steam, I have easy access to all versions of each engine
you can switch between versions in a few minutes, but only one steam version at one time.
however you can have both standalone and steam installed independently, and that could be two different versions (or two different languages even)

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I say NO, definetly NO, because I never liked Valve and Steam and it's policy, so I say NO

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you plan on releasing games on Steam?
Not at this stage

you can have both standalone and steam installed independently
Have done this in the past, and the obnoxious steam version always takes over - even when I run from the standalone shortcut, the steam version insists on running. Suspect it's something to do with registry settings

I would say that Steam has the benefit of not needing keys - any time I want to install, it's all just there, so as long as Steam is there ... but then there's no guarantee that Steam is always going to be there.

BrentBAM

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I’m someone who bought the stand alones for VX Ace and MV. It’s great not having to login every time to steam when using them and also not having steam running in the background. It does cut down on time just being able to click on it use it instantly.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have done this in the past, and the obnoxious steam version always takes over
never had that problem with Ace or MV in the past, although I heard that something changed in steam program handling and I haven't had both installed lately

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, I know what you mean, Steam won't last forever considering new Alternatives are already on the rise like the "Epic Client" and "Blue Stacks" which may revolutionize Gaming in the coming years, But i'm pretty certain Steam will be around for the next 5 years minimum, in the foreseeable future.

Currently, I have my RPG Maker MV on Steam and I have never really come across any issues. I prefer Steam mainly because of 2 Reasons :

- Convenient to have all my Games in a Single Platform since i'm one of those people that keeps having PC crashes or malware issues or Losing my e-mail ids
- Lets me Purchase RPG Maker or DLC Bundles at a Discount Rate, Especially during Seasonal Sales and Offers, This is a Primary reason for me opting for Steam

Other than that, I don't see much difference since Steam version still works Offline just like the Stand-alone version. So yea, Its Steam for me !

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Since you don't plan to work on the platform (at least not for now), you don't like it and I guess not want to use it for anything else. Don't use Steam?
I mean, it's not like you can't install Steam at later point.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, I probably won't. Was just wanting to make sure there wasn't something I was missing out on that would be worth putting up with it. Doesn't sound like it though.

Elissiaro

aka MsLilly
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I mean the big draw of steam is the games and programs (and frequent massive sales)... If you don't own any games on it and aren't planning to, why install it?

Mewgles

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I would say that Steam has the benefit of not needing keys - any time I want to install, it's all just there, so as long as Steam is there ... but then there's no guarantee that Steam is always going to be there.
Well Steam won't die anytime soon. It's still by far the biggest online platform for games. And even in case they take down the RPG Maker from selling on there, keys and downloads will stay valid even if you uninstall/reinstall at some point.
And maybe at some point you'll take a look at the workshop. There is lots of things, even full games, people made. Also releasing/sharing ressources is super simple while providing additional features like click counts, download count, proper separated changelogs that you can fill.
But from what I've read so far, it's most likely not for you since you don't plan on using the features that actually make the difference for many people :)

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I really don't like the platform at all!
I would have to agree with you @Shaz steam is not really been the greatest invention imo. but what I do is I just download it for other game engines tbh. Some game engines are only on steam. So basically I just have it to get those exclusivities. That and well Im a Mac user so I ain't using rpg maker on Mac OS unless its through steam.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Work shop support?
I don't even know what that is. Google's description doesn't make it seem like something that I'd need, or that I'd miss if I didn't have it (and I have gone without it for as long as RPG Maker has been on Steam).

Tell me what you love about it.

MerlinCross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't even know what that is. Google's description doesn't make it seem like something that I'd need, or that I'd miss if I didn't have it (and I have gone without it for as long as RPG Maker has been on Steam).

Tell me what you love about it.
I had a bunch of steam cash lying around and the titles went on sale. That's basically it.

But Workshop is another way to get resources and it auto updates. That's another thing Steam does for you, it updates your games/programs as new patches come out where as you have to update things yourself otherwise.

Now I'm not saying "Steam is the end all be all" store front. I just like it due to easier access and one shop stop rather than filling out a bunch of purchase sheets across different websites.

I just have MV on my steam account as it was easy to pick up. That's basically it.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I see workshop might have resources that are not shared on the forums here. And they do have sales at different times and prices to the web store. And any humble bundle stuff is usually steam keys.

Aslanemperor

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Got a new computer arriving soon - hopefully will be installing all my program this weekend. Debating whether to install Steam or not ... what do you think?

I really don't like the platform at all! So looking for folks to sell me on the benefits - what am I missing if I don't get it, and stick with standalone?

- if I install Steam, I have easy access to all versions of each engine - does that mean I can install multiple versions of MV in multiple locations, or will it just replace whatever version I have with whatever version I want to go to?

- is there stuff available on Steam that isn't available in the RMWeb store?

Workshop, social, cloud are not things I'll use.
Honestly, Humble Bundle is the only reason I'm on Steam. It's a pretty good reason, though. My first purchase, I spent $1, and I got 5 or 6 different games. The main one was Stellaris, which I'd really wanted to try but wasn't willing to spend $69.99 on. So I got what I wanted, a few other games I liked (it was a 4X game bundle), and I got some added DLC for Stellaris as well. I got VXA that way as well, only spent $15. The only downside is that the games you buy are all Steam exclusive since they use Steam codes to give you your games. I guess the other benefit of Steam is that once you've purchased a game, there's no limit to how many times you can install it, as long as you're logged in. That is true of most games you purchase online, however, so I dunno.
I will agree, of course, that Steam as a platform leaves a lot to be desired! If you're planning on paying full price for MV, You're probably better just keeping it as a standalone if for no other reason that it's helpful to be able to access your product offline.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Steam as a tool helps me to get all my RPGM related things organized and so my friendlist/groups related to it and other tools I use from Steam. Making all changes in manual when I work in an editor or another also helps. I also like to have another place to have back-ups, I still keep physical copies of my projects as well as other drives but if I need help, I share my workshop.

Dunno for you Shaz. Steam is really what you make it to be truely.
In my case it is almost therapeutic and keeps me grounded to have folks dropping by once a while and encouraging to move forward. I am someone with high contrast luck and with every down It really strikes hard and it helps me when me or my computer is down.

Also... Same handle on Steam if you are not already in my contact list.
*cybermental platonical hugs*

Raths Rants

Lord Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It really depends on how long and what games/programs you have on Steam. I can load up all my games on any computer with Steam. I don't have to keep a physical copy, which is nice. I still have all my original licenses from when Steam was not an insane giant in the industry.

I have been goofing with Steam since 2003. Back in the day, I would upgrade my computer every year and replace it every 2 to 3 years. So for me, it's a matter of convenience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Recent threads, and my very poor algorithm for my minimap plugin have made me face the fact that I need to review algorithms and such.

Going through Cracking the Coding Interview now. I am so excited.
Kes
I've seen a reference to a Community Lighting plugin for MZ, but cannot find it. Is it still in beta?

Todo:
Add fog of war
Add enemy indicators
Make window draggable
Optimise map drawing algorithm (5 seconds to load the map you see, so it's a... poo-poo algorithm)

Any suggestions? :kaoblush:
bleh studio hell job haha at least they like it didnt had time to do much laundry tho ;w;'....YES I DO AT LEAST TAKE A SHOWER everyday!
Ami
--- Food Ingredients ---

Hero: Since the Chef are in Hospital,we can't eat his Dish in 3 Days.
F.Mage: What we have to Eat?
M.Healer: Don't worry,we can Eat the Food Ingredients.
Hero & F.Mage
: Really?

(3 Days Later)

Chef: Hi,Guys. I'm Ba---
(Entire Party Collapse After Eat Raw Meat)
Chef: Wha...WHAT GOING ON HERE!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilsonliz