Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello everybody.

I plan on doing a bilingual version of my game, original french and translated english.

Even though I am far from having written all my story, I was wondering :

What do you prefer regarding name of places that have actual meaning ?

Do you like names to be translated in english if the rest of the text is in english or do you prefer to keep the original language name ?

For exemple, I thought of a place named "Apredune".

One translation into english could be "Harshdune".

If you were to play the game in english, what would suit you better ?

(Actually, my question is more general and not restricted to my game, of course).

Chaneque

Prince of Strange Things
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think Apredune sounds better, personally. Sounds more exotic. 

Doobles

That guy...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yeah I'd leave any names alone with the translation.

FcBird

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
C++
Primarily Uses
If the meaning is actually significant, then translate it.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Regarding my game, names that have a meaning are not really significant. They are just easily translatable. But on second thought, as my regions' names are from different origins, having all names in english would mean no more differenciation of origins. That would be bad.

On a general side, I agree that if a name's meaning is significant, translating it is a must as it provides information.

Jay_NOLA

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm running into a similar sort of problem as I'm translating the sample Japanese Samurai game into English.

For locations and characters keep the French names when you can.   For enemies, skills, etc. your going to find some things you may want to translate and some things you may not want too .

A good thing to include with the English version is a word file of translation and name notes.  You can put an entry for Apredune and just quickly state that the name means harsh dune in English.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

just when I thought one of the greatest game of all time couldn't get any better, they announce a new dlc for it.
For anyone interested: there's another huge humble bundle with JRPG assets + a game jam starting next month - it's for a good cause, so check it out <3
Turning a specific vibe into reality is incredibly difficult. For instance, this song is one of the ones I listen to when working on my post apocalyptic project, and getting it's "feeling" into the game has been a real challenge.

I don't just wanna regurgitate the numbers I see, I wanna actually understand the calculations I'm making so I'm probably gonna make a post later with some calculations and what I THINK they mean to get some advice and corrections.

Edit: All (Most) of these will be tested in game prior. I just wanna make sure I understand what's going on under the hood if you will.
my girlfriend calls all my little chibi art cute lol... funny considering that wasn't the original art style of the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traviscot