To use "artificial respiration" or "CPR"?

Fight it out!

• Artificial Respiration.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • CPR.

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm translating something from another language to English.

Context: Girl A gets hit by lightning and fainted. Girl B checks on her and says she's nothing breaking. Guy keeps telling Girl B to do "artificial respiration" on her. She does mouth to mouth, and he does chest compressions.

Well, the word used in the dialogue directly translates to "artificial respiration". I'm wondering if this actually sounds natural? Usually, people just say CPR, no? But then again, when I looked it up, they are not exactly synonym. "Artificial respiration" is a form of CPR, but doesn't seem like the two are interchangeable.

Should I stick with the more correct "artificial respiration", or use the less accurate but shorter "CPR"?

Thanks in advance!
034.gif

WingedHares

Crazy is God, for Their Mind is Never Quiet.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indo/Not Fluent
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm translating something from another language to English.

Context: Girl A gets hit by lightning and fainted. Girl B checks on her and says she's nothing breaking. Guy keeps telling Girl B to do "artificial respiration" on her. She does mouth to mouth, and he does chest compressions.

Well, the word used in the dialogue directly translates to "artificial respiration". I'm wondering if this actually sounds natural? Usually, people just say CPR, no? But then again, when I looked it up, they are not exactly synonym. "Artificial respiration" is a form of CPR, but doesn't seem like the two are interchangeable.

Should I stick with the more correct "artificial respiration", or use the less accurate but shorter "CPR"?

Thanks in advance!
034.gif
I'd say go for CPR as it is more well-known. I had no idea what AR was until I read the thread, so. Yeah, it'll minimize confusion at least. There's not much difference between the two anyway xD

Good luck with translating! : D

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
CPR. I don't know if I've ever heard anyone refer to it as "artificial respiration" but everyone knows what CPR means.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Artificial respiration isn't wrong, but I don't know why you think it's "more correct." The first rule anyone should learn about translating languages is that a literal translation of words is very often not an accurate translation of phrasing or ideas (if I translated from French and told someone "good anniversary," they would probably be confused for days without ever thinking I was wishing them "happy birthday").

But then again, when I looked it up, they are not exactly synonym. "Artificial respiration" is a form of CPR

I don't know how you looked it up, but that is incorrect and opposite. Artificial respiration is, as the words literally mean, anything that is not the person breathing naturally. CPR is included within that, but artificial respiration, in English, encompasses much more, such as ventilation machines, artificial lungs, etc., and is used almost exclusively in that context.

CPR is, literally and exactly, the process you cited, giving mouth-to-mouth and chest compressions. I don't know why you think it's less accurate, it is exactly what you described. It will also sound more correct to your English-speaking players.

Bandito

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
They are not the same thing at all. In your case it would be CPR. Artificial respiration is akin to having something on your face or mouth connected to a device giving you air.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
They are not the same thing at all. In your case it would be CPR. Artificial respiration is akin to having something on your face or mouth connected to a device giving you air.
That's not correct. If you read the words, artificial would mean anything that is not the body's natural method of breathing. If you're further unsure, after what other people have already said in the thread, you could check the dictionary for "artificial respiration" and see "the restoration or substitution of someone's breathing by manual, mechanical, or mouth-to-mouth methods." - manual and mouth-to-mouth absolutely includes CPR.

Bandito

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
Maybe the definition is what you wrote, I am not debating that, but if you work in a hospital where they speak English and tell someone to give artificial respiration instead of CPR they would look at you confused. Heck, if you tell me someone has been on artificial respiration the first thing I would think they were connected to a ventilator or a tank.

I never heard anyone refer to CPR as artificial respiration in my experience.
That's not correct. If you read the words, artificial would mean anything that is not the body's natural method of breathing. If you're further unsure, after what other people have already said in the thread, you could check the dictionary for "artificial respiration" and see "the restoration or substitution of someone's breathing by manual, mechanical, or mouth-to-mouth methods." - manual and mouth-to-mouth absolutely includes CPR.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And everyone responding to the OP has told him that CPR is the correct terminology in his example.

But, without trying to say anything about your medical training, your statement that they're not the same at all is not grammatically accurate, which is important in a thread asking about English.

Darth Equus

I *HATE* Parallax Mapping.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Since CPR stands for Cardio-pulmonar resucitation, it should involve chest compressions. Artificial breathing can be accomplished by another person or through a machine. Doesn't sound like the same thing, though they go alongside each other:

48Tentacles

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I believe CPR is the more named than Artificial Respiration after I've seen various works and news related to events like that. Also it's faster to say CPR than any other word of choice.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

And the time has come for me to enjoy a good cup of hot cocoa before I sleep... Strangely, that actually helps.
If I ever need to stay up late working on projects, I always get tired. Do you guys think I should try G-Fuel to keep me up and focused at night? And if so, what flavor is best?
I do tend to be quite a night owl.
"Same as it ever was. Same as it ever was. Same as it... EVER was."
Ugh. This update is taking so long that I'm starting to run out of topics for the weekly blogs that I was making to make up for the fact that it was taking so long to begin with!
"...I'll shut up and carry on
The scream becomes a yawn..."
Me: For My enter the Haroldverse game I'll make a horror game!
[four snarky/snide comments from the disembodied narrator later]
Fine it's a horror comedy now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClassicFrank