Josephkhland

Extremely Hardfork
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have been trying to make a spell which summons a small familiar that you can move around the map. For achieving that I am making an actor with the name "Familiar" appear in front of the Player, before taking control of it and roaming around the world. When I want to cancel the spell I just use a skill of the Familiar actor that gets me back to playing with the first Actor, from the point he was at.

So what I am trying to do now is make it possible, for while playing around as the familiar, to walk over tiles that it wasn't previously possible to pass through.

I don't want the familiar to be able to pass through everything so I can't just put on a "THROUGH" Flag on the player.

I was thinking whether it was possible to alter the impassibility of a tile, based on its region ID and a switch.

For example once a switch is on, all the tiles with a region ID of 5 to become passages, overriding the tile-set impassibility or passability .

Thank you for reading. If anyone would be able to help me with this I would be really grateful.

Autofire

PICNIC Solver
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe you could treat the familiar as a vehicle? Out of the box, you can make your familiar able to cross water or able to fly. However, this doesn't have a ton of control and might not be right for what you're trying to do.

So plugins might be the only other option. I can't think of any plugin that does what you're suggesting, though I know Yanfly has one that lets you change stuff like this. (Though not dynamically, like you need.)

EDIT: Somehow I thought you were talking about MV. That's what I get for clicking on one of the new threads over in the side bar on the main page without checking its subforum. :kaosigh:

Last edited:

Josephkhland

Extremely Hardfork
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I was thinking that possibly writing a script that would override the default method for "Check Passage"

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# * Check Passage
# bit: Inhibit passage check bit
def check_passage(x, y, bit)
all_tiles(x, y).each do |tile_id|
flag = tileset.flags[tile_id]
next if flag & 0x10 != 0 # [☆]: No effect on passage
return true if flag & bit == 0 # [○] : Passable
return false if flag & bit == bit # [×] : Impassable
end
return false # Impassable
end

# * Determine Passability of Normal Character
# d: direction (2,4,6,8)
# Determines whether the tile at the specified coordinates is passable
# in the specified direction.
def passable?(x, y, d)
check_passage(x, y, (1 << (d / 2 - 1)) & 0x0f)
end

So perhaps a script that if a specific Switch is ON, then it would check the Region ID of the tile and return true or false, based on it. But if the Switch is OFF it would keep using the default way to check passage. I am not very familiar with Ruby but if I were to write it in a way possibly

if ($game_switches[65] == true)
{
#command that checks the region id of the tile whose passability needs to be determined
if (regionID == 5) return true;
else return false;
}
else #uses the default method

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I've been busy trying out different art styles for my game.

Enemies deserve some spotlight also
hackingCompressed.gif
I think I can make a text-based mini-game with almost zero art assets and with code only...just a lot of code as assets all by themselves. :kaojoy:
A video update on the progress I've been making on the cutscenes. :kaosalute:

I wonder if color LUTs is possible for RPG Maker. It would be game changer and can replace the not so good looking tint screen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gelato