RMMV Tomb of The Tyrant

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Thordon123, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Thordon123

Thordon123 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Tomb of the Tyrant
    [CONTENT WARNING: Strong Language and Drug References]

SYNOPSIS

Tomb of the Tyrant (TotT) is a short standalone adventure featuring the exploits of the ambiguously heroic Captain Raum and his long-suffering crewmembers, Mary and Akram. (Spoiler alert: you also get a dog!)

Lead their party through the abandoned Republic of Grell, an isolated community where all the inhabitants have mysteriously vanished. Piece together the fate of the citizens from notes and journals left behind, and take on the monsters that have moved into Grell with a brutal, strategic turn-based battle system featuring deep character customization.

Riches and havok await!

CHARACTERS

RAUM: The dashing, opportunistic captain of the pirate ship The Dancing Girl. Always with one eye on his profit margin, and the other on… nothing at all (hence the patch). He treats his crew like his children, if they were born from a hooker he tried to forget and showed up on his doorstep at the worst possible time. You could call him a thief, but at least there’s honor among thieves.

AKRAM: Clever, prissy, and dour, Akram is The Dancing Girl’s navigator, and his self-consciousness is matched only (and thankfully) by his competence. Nobody knows too much about where he comes from, but he always sweats bullets when the crew spots an Imperial flag on the horizon.

MARY: Maybe a little dumb but get to know her and you’ll forgive it. Everyone always done. She’s the bo’sun, she’s the cook, she’s a deadly swordsman, and if Raum hadn’t taken her on in a failed attempt to seduce her she might be a circus attraction for her thoroughly un-dainty might. Likes animals. And people. Actually she likes most things until she figures out they’re either mean or taste bad.

DOG: A very, very good boy.

STORY

Raum and his crew are storm-struck in the middle of escaping from their rival, the Imperial Justicar Kinzukai. Nearly shipwrecked, they discover themselves to have washed up in the Republic of Grell, an isolated community whose leadership dates back to the aftermath of an ancient revolution. Looking for aid (or plunder, or a drink), they discover that the inhabitants have all vanished. In parsing through the clues left by the citizens (and taking on the monsters that have moved in in their absence) they may even find that the root of the evil lies far closer than they could imagine…

DOWNLOAD LINK

UPDATE 1:
    Added text pop-up for Snuff Box usage on acquisition
    Fixed blackout bug when re-entering Tomb
    Fixed scaling on monsters (snakes and skeledogs are smaller now)
    Should now be possible to save and use the options menu; included a "www" folder in the .zip download with a "save" folder inside of it. DON'T TOUCH 'EM!
    Also included an option to view the answer to the church puzzle. Check the bookcase on the first floor of the church to see it.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  2. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I gave your demo a go, but ended up stuck after the battle with all the zombies and ghouls. There are some interesting ideas here and I did mostly enjoy myself, but I think it needs a bit of tweaking to make the battles funner.
    So, first thing I want to mention is that it looks like you used the Enigma virtual box to package the game, which unfortunately makes it so the player can't save or change any options. Luckily there is a pretty easy fix mentioned in this post that let me save (because otherwise I would've quit after the game crashed), so you should consider following its instructions to fix that issue.

I liked most of the party's banter, but since I didn't get all that far I'll refrain from trying to leave feedback on the story.

I think you may want to reconsider the font you use for the menus and battles, since the fancy capital letters it has actually makes it hard to read some of the words (it took me ages to understand 'COUNTER' in Parry's description).

The idea of the player being able to write down notes in the menu Notepad is nice, but unfortunately it leads to a TypeError if you try to discard a note. I'm unsure of why it happens, but it's something to look into.
    Notepad crash.png
    Before getting to the battle mechanics, allow me to grumble about resources. Please don't resize pixel battlers to odd percentages (like 125% or 150%) because it ends up making them blurry (and blurry sprites makes me sad :kaocry:). If you want to have larger battlers, use percentages like 200% and have nearest neighbor (or whichever option keeps the pixel look) on so that they retain all the details without becoming fuzzy.
    Having battles done is waves could have been interesting, but there are a few things that ended up making them not all that fun for me. You mention strategic battles, but I found them to be more of battles of attrition since by the last wave all my party members were almost out of health. For most of the game I didn't realize there was a good way to heal out of battle besides using up my limited item stock (I later found out that Fury increases while walking, but doesn't carry into battles), so when I stumbled into a battle I spent most of the time trying to keep my party alive. When I wasn't worrying about health, I was having trouble with the game's hit rates. That's something you really should look into tweaking, since in a strategic game I should fail because I made a poor choice, not because all of my Fury-fueled attacks missed the enemy. :kaoeh:

I actually liked the idea of fighting waves of enemies, but I had a big problem with Fury not carrying over between waves. Due to how often I missed and there being no 'guard' type skill, I'd usually have one character attack to gain Fury while the others healed, but if that character happened to kill the last enemy the wave would end, and take all my extra Fury with it. Since healing took 20 Fury, I tended to start new waves by having at least one party member die and need revived (which honestly was a great way to fully heal them, but only if the character with the doctor bag had enough Fury). I think either partially healing the party between waves, or letting them keep their gained Fury could really help keep the battles fun (and hopefully fair).

I found a point where the game sort of crashes, if the player tries to re-enter the zombie room the screen turns black... And never fades back in, so while the player can open the menu they can't see how to escape the map and have to quit to the title screen. There was another issue in the zombie room with the Tablet Fragment, clicking on it in the menu just made it disappear without doing anything.

The point where I stopped was trying to solve the church's piano puzzle. I thought the code was 7493, from what I could find around the town, but neither it nor variations of it seemed to work. And since I couldn't find anything else to do, I stopped.

Overall, it seems like this could be a fun and interesting game once some of the battle issues are fixed. :)

Thordon123 likes this.
  3. Thordon123

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thankyouthankyouthankyou! Both for the battlers and the feedback! ;)

Yeah I gotta fix the virtual box thing, it's particularly infuriating because I want the players to be able to save and reload so they can try out new character set-ups for combat! Do you know any good alternative software?

I agree the font needs to change. I like it because it has character but the capitals are just too fancy. And thanks for the heads-up about the notepad.

I hear ya about the combat, the last thing I want is for it to become a resource-management headache. I've put an item called "Snuff Box" in a chest on the shore map that heals your party out of combat and revives them- was that included the build you played (I've updated it a little)? In any case I think if I put in a text pop-up informing the player that they need to use the Snuff Box between battles it will make the game progression a lot smoother in general and will certainly make the combat more enjoyable.

The OTHER thing I need to tweak mightily is the fury generation. It actually isn't supposed to charge outside of combat (whoops) but you're right that it should carry between waves. Also I'm pretty sure that the "comrade" role is overpowered at the moment.

Oh, and you were close, but the code is 7495

4 because, in the Inn, one "guest" (JohnBob Justoneguy) is actually two midgets on each other's shoulders (it's revealed in the documents scattered around the inn)
    5 because there are the three houses you CAN go into, one you can't go into (it has the garden) and the last on is the castle- the chief's home

Thanks again, the feedback is dead-on and super helpful. This is my first RPG maker game so I'm hungry for advice. And I'll certainly make sure to re-scale the battlers, wouldn't want to do an injustice to your lovely work :)

4. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You're welcome. ;)
    I don't know of any good alternatives, but if you follow the directions in the post I linked to and add a save file folder then at least your players will be able to save until you can find a better option.

Oh, so that's what the Snuff Box was for. I did get it, but I thought that it would be a one-use item so I didn't want to use it right away, and then I forgot about it since it was a key item while all the other healing items were normal ones. That's mostly on me then, but I'd definitely add in a line like "Can be used multiple times" to it's description. Though you may want to consider just fully healing the team after each battle, since it would pretty much accomplish the same thing without having to rely on the player to do it themselves (because clearly players can't be trusted to remember stuff :guffaw:).

Huh, I never really considered my house number to be wrong since only three houses had signs. I tried including the castle in the number but not the garden house since I thought that was a storeroom (because it had no entrance or signs stating otherwise). It could just be that I'm terrible at puzzles, but it may be a good idea to consider tucking a note somewhere (in a bookcase or locked behind a battle, maybe?) that has someone mention visiting all five houses in the village. That way if the player doesn't happen to be able to count correctly they'd still be able to proceed in the game just by really searching the town.

Thordon123 likes this.
  5. Thordon123

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Gotcha, yeah the snuff box definitely needs to be explained better (it's meant be essential, which is why I made it a key item) and I'll give a hint in some way to help with the houses count.

Oh and I was gonna do the auto-heal thing but the only way I found to do it would be by adding events to the end of each battle, which is not impossible but, well, I'm sometimes just the smallest bit lazy...

6. Thordon123

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE 1:
    Added text pop-up for Snuff Box usage on acquisition
    Fixed blackout bug when re-entering Tomb
    Fixed scaling on monsters (snakes and skeledogs are smaller now)
    Should now be possible to save and use the options menu; included a "www" folder in the .zip download with a "save" folder inside of it. DON'T TOUCH 'EM!
    Also included an option to view the answer to the church puzzle. Check the bookcase on the first floor of the church to see it.

Still looking to screw with the Fury generation. I've set it to preserve between battles in Yanfly's Enhanced TP Modes plug-in but it, uh... doesn't.