Too much usless dialouge?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bustedradio, Aug 11, 2017.

1. bustedradio

bustedradio sports anime trash Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Edit : New question : what would be considered good observational text or how should it be handled to enrich the player's experience? Like whenever your character is observing an object or a scene they can't interact with, like two people having an argument at a fruit stand.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Verdelite and Bonkers like this.
  2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Please note that General Discussion is not for feedback on specific, individual games. It is about themes which are applicable to many games. Therefore, the conversation might well develop in a way that is not relevant to your particular game, and that is fine.

If you want to keep the discussion about your game, I can merge this with Plot and Character Feedback. Just let me know if that is what you want.

3. bustedradio

bustedradio sports anime trash Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ah I'm sorry. I wanted to use my game as an example how I wrote observational text and whether or not it's detrimental to the player experience. I would like to become a boarder topic.

Well I guess the real question is, what would be considered good observational text or how should it be handled to enrich the player's experience?

4. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Perhaps you might like to edit your opening post to make it clearer that this is a broader issue than just your game?

Oh, and by the way, there is no need to quote whole posts to indicate who you are replying to. It can make accessing this by phone (which a lot of people do) a nightmare. Instead use the @members_username convention and that will alert the person that you have replied to them.

5. gregbaby

gregbaby Evil Genius. o_O Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    In my game generic NPC's offer trivial yet important advice to the player. I created a common event that I can update when new stuff is valid in game. It also randomizes what folk say but all info is relevant to the player. I also have certain NPCS in towns that only offer adice related to that town/region. I feel it makes it more unique for the player experience but the generic NPC's are still about to offer basic in game advice.

kaukusaki likes this.
  6. Chaos17

Chaos17 Dreamer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Play Trail in the Sky or Persona 5 and you will understand what is usefull and what is useless when you begin to wanna skip some dialogs/description because they're pointless.

7. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, the ideal way is this:

1. Write your dialogue.
    2. Let it sit and DON'T LOOK AT IT for at least a month. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP.
    3. Come back and re-read it, preferably out loud. Anything that makes you yawn or your skin crawl is useless dialogue.

Or if short on time and you have a thick skin, enlist a blunt friend to look at it for you.

Sometimes you'll just have to go with your gut on what is good. Honestly, this is one of the hardest things to do in writing and even professional writers struggle with this on a daily basis. The only rule is that the dialogue must be interesting. How you achieve that has no set answer.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Verdelite likes this.
  8. AmazingKazuki

AmazingKazuki Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Comedy is always a go-to, I think. The funnier the better. like watermark said, write some stuff and let it sit. Go back to it. Read it to friends or family and see what they say. Hell, PM someone on here and let them help you out. :)

9. CallMeKerrigan

CallMeKerrigan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What helps me when writing is I ask how it's going to advance the plot, build the world, or the main characters. Dialogue in rpg maker is a useful tool that can relay information to the player that can't be relayed just through gameplay. if it doesn't, I don't include it. For example if there was an NPC who owned a fruit stand and the main character went to interact with him it would be pointless if his dialogue was "I love apples". We can kinda infer that because he owns a fruit stand. Also unless the merchant is extremely important to the plot the player doesn't really care about his favorite food.

Instead that's an opportunity for that NPC to give player information about the world, the character/villain, or even game mechanics. When you reward the player with useful information through dialogue they'll want to interact with the world more instead of skip every possible interaction.

So for example maybe his dialogue would be something like "Hey, traveler, I can tell by your armor you're from (hero's hometown). That must have been a long journey, why don't you have some fresh fruit and rest at the inn?" And just keep it short and to the point

10. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If it's not important, try to make it fit within a single text box.

11. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You can keep in mind that a dialogue needs to either advance the story or reveal the characters (or both).
    If you lose nothing by cutting it, cut it out.
    However, observing (as in the result of a player's action) is different. It's not fed to the player, they ask for it at that moment. Adventure games do it all the time, with item descriptions or usage.
    If it's imposed on the player, make it worth their time.