Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello,

I was wondering if there was a tool or anything to help animating sprites.

Having the sprites' animation broken into several places on the sheet doesn't help to make a smooth move or align pixels properly.

I find myself constantly editing-try in RPG Maker-back to Gimp, rinse and repeat.

I know that the Game Character Hub has this nice feature to preview the animation, but I cannot get used to its pixels and layers system.

Maybe I should try again.

How do you manage to get your sprites animations right?

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I do them mostly in Paint Shop Pro, which has a nice grid when you pick a transparent background. I use the grid to help me align the sprites and animated battlers. It can be tricky with bigger sprites, but still doable.

AwesomeCool

Bratty and spoiled little sister
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Try graphics gale, it is good for this sort of thing.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I gave a try at Graphics Gale and besides a few oddities (like not adding an alpha to actually have one?) it seems to work for this particular animation task.

Thanks for the tip.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've moved this thread to Program and Utility Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Pyxel Edit, the paid version, is also pretty good for animating in. I like it better than Graphics Gale because I can edit and see the animation while I've got the cells set up in sprite sheet format.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Learning about how trademark works for game titles has given me new understanding about another reason why AAA developers/publishers sometimes reveal new games as "Project XXX" as a working title instead of the actual title. The cutthroat world of trademarks and IP trolls gets rougher every year as the pool of available titles for (legally safe) use shrinks due to the limitations of language.
how does everybody even finish anything

i have like 5 projects in the backburner and it's just so sad that i probably won't get to finish all or maybe even any of them
Did you know that 90% of people in the world use the number in their sentence as they see fit?
It's been a long time since I was here but I have a lot of updates... btw I am teaching again about game programming and game design in some schools here in Brazil hahahaha It's good to see kids and teens learning this kind of thing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bl4zin_