[Tools] Anti RGSS Decrypter

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by Kevin Blaze Coolerz, Dec 9, 2013.

1. cremnophobia

cremnophobia Veteran Veteran

%APPDATA%\Game or just start the Task Manager (a decent one) and open the file location of the RGSS Player process.

But the current version doesn't really protect anything? It's still the RGSSAD v1 (and v3?) encryption with unencrypted audio files. The password (I don't know the algorithm (yet) but it looks like figuring it out isn't a complicated task.) and temporarily unpacking the files to some not so obvious path is not doing the trick - at least for me. If that's enough for (some of) you, so be it.

2. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ah, that's pretty lazy.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
  3. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I haven't tested the program, but according to the comments given here it's working in a rather simple way and I want to give a few comments.

1) crediting

If the program uses the work of someone else, then it should give proper credit if that other work is freeware (that is the rule for the forums here, and failing can get the resource deleted). I suggest that the OP adds any such credit to the original topic.

If the resources used are not freeware (I can't tell because I don't know the names given here) then this is the same as pirating the software.

2) "security by obscurity" doesn't work.

Any encryption can be hacked, and if no one knows which encryption was used then no one can check if that encryption had already been broken - and the hackers are usually so up.- to - date that they only need a few hours to identify the algorithm (as seen above), so the obscurity only works if the target audience is without real hackers.

And all current encryption methods (at least the better ones) know that and work by making a difference between the internal, true encryption-key (which is needed to encrypt data) and a public key (which can be used to access but not change the data). And you can't get the internal key from the public key without a lot more effort than its usually worth.

3) The main problem with any encryption of game data

ANY form of encryption of game data to prevent resource theft has an extremely big problem: RPGM needs to be able to read the data to allow playing of the game.

Which means that it's basically impossible to protect the resources from the player using the game.

Decrypting the data to a different folder only works as long as no one knows which folder that is - and as said above that's easy to detect in modern operating systems.

If the decryption would have been done not to a different path but to a hidden (!) RAM-Drive, then that would have been a lot better (not perfect, because even then a memory checker would have been able to locate the resources - but that would be a tool that is rather uncommon and requires quite a bit of work to get the resources out, so it would be worthwile the effort)

A real, working encryption would require the files to be stored encrypted and having the decryption done inside the game engine - that would be a lot better, but the neccessary scripts and DLLs will slow down gameplay and increase lag.

So to anyone looking for a protection against resource piracy: That isn't easy, and if someone claims to have a perfect solution then that is (as often the case) too good to be true...

If the decryptor part is given as scripts to be included in the game, then you have at least a chance of stopping the script-kiddy-pirates (those who don't have real knowledge about encryption processes), but not if the decrypter is an external program wrapped around the game...

Animebryan, Tsukihime and Kurisu like this.
  4. Kurisu

Kurisu game dev, pilot, cat lover Veteran

First Language:
    non-english
    So far I haven't found any solution that would work better than data compression offered by RPG Maker itself... If it's this much of a problem, perhaps there is just no point in trying to protect the game data any further? I imagine that the only people actually interested in accessing the game files would be RPG Maker users. Only few among them will know that there's decrypting hacks available. Even if they steal some content, they won't really be able to do anything with it (at least not here nor any other major RPG Maker sites).

...and in the end, anyone could just rip the music and graphics using audacity and photoshop respectively... given they have enough patience to do so :)

Look at triple-A titles like Skyrim, people rip character models and put them in Garry's mod, GTA IV etc... nobody really makes a big deal out of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
    Animebryan likes this.
  5. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    The moment I saw this, I had to try it with task manager default and found it in 2 clicks haha.

That was sneaky and I was hoping that wasn't the case, but alas. Not much we can do there.

6. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    this is why I don't like embedding things that should be private then extracting them to a temp location once you need to use them...

7. Kevin Blaze Coolerz

Kevin Blaze Coolerz Villager Member

First Language:
    GML
    lol, that's all, I've extract it to the %appdata% and delete them when the game was closed.

it seem I have to do a revision :D

8. TroyZ

TroyZ The Slayer Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    hahahaha, got you kevin :D

but still, it was just RC2. just wait for the final release and what fixes will kevin done to this encryptor :)

9. Chaos17

Chaos17 Dreamer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    They do not claim as their own.

10. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    also taking stuff from Commercial games is way different for Indies. An Indie's work is not well known vs. Skyrim.

Chaos17 likes this.
  11. Kurisu

Kurisu game dev, pilot, cat lover Veteran

First Language:
    non-english
    Please don't get me wrong, I do agree with you guys of course - you have every right (and sometimes obligation) to protect the content of your game. My point was, basic encryption offered by RPG Maker is enough to stop most people, and those few who really want to obtain the game files, will get them no matter what :| there is no 100% reliable way to do so and high-budget, well encrypted AAA titles seem to confirm this.

SomaelCK and Galenmereth like this.
  12. M3shyS

M3shyS Hero! Member

First Language:
    English
    I think we'd rather want more security, and the least amount of resources taken from us. And if anyone was to hack my game; I don't people using RGSS Decrypter so easily, and tearing through all my files.

Exactly. Someone can take your custom made resources (graphics and songs), and it could be a while or never when the game developer/someone notices it out.. and even then, no one wants to 'defend' an indie as much as 'AAA' game.

Also, I think this only works for XP. Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't use XP ;(

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  13. Kevin Blaze Coolerz

First Language:
    GML
    tested & work in 7 either. work as long as someone doesn't know where the data is stored

14. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You should put more effort into hiding it then, instead of putting in a hardcoded place.

15. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's why I suggested to use a hidden ramdrive, then the data isn't stored directly on the harddisk.

Unfortunately I don't know how to create a ramdrive in current windows versions, last time I used one was with WinXP (and even older versions of Windows)

16. Kevin Blaze Coolerz

First Language:
    GML
    thanks for the suggestion, I'll try to create another one

17. ShadowFox

ShadowFox Adventurer Member

First Language:
    English
    awesome. I might be using this for the audio encryption as there is only one script that does audio encryption but does not do mp3's...

Your audio encryption does any type of audio file right?

18. V1.0

V1.0 Best Syntax Error Member

First Language:
    English
    And now... to solve MV project stealing.
    Or write an obfuscator, either project would be cool. :p  

19. Nightshade

Nightshade Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    my main concern is. what ever paid dlc i used to make my game. if someone decripts my game and takes the Paid DLC packs thatt i used to make my game. am i liable for that Oo

20. Shin Kitsune

Shin Kitsune KITSUNE Game Design Veteran

First Language:
    ENG/SPA
    I doubt it. If you encrypted the resources, you're complying with the terms and conditions. In this case I think the only liable is the thief who decrypted and stole said resources.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2015