Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
my main concern is. what ever paid dlc i used to make my game. if someone decripts my game and takes the Paid DLC packs thatt i used to make my game. am i liable for that Oo
No, we know that there is no perfect encryption.

But by using the available encryption, first you make a statement that the resources are not intended for distribution and second make it clear that whoever removes them from encryption does break the law. Both those parts are important if it ever comes to a lawsuit against someone who extracts the resources.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
People who say that sort of stuff are usually the kind of people who see no problems with ripping resources or cloning games.

Your attitude seems to be "be happy to share all your stuff with everyone, or don't make your game available to others to play at all". Thankfully, we are not limited to either of these extremes. Lawyers are expensive and not everyone has the funds to hire one. What's wrong with taking any reasonable measures to prevent resource theft, if it can avoid the two extremes you've listed and the requirements for legal action?

Yes, if someone wants to get into a game, they will do it. It doesn't mean you should ignore asset protection altogether. Any measure you put in will deter one more group of people from stealing your stuff.

Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but it won't keep a roof over your head or food on your table.

Milena

The woman of many questions
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Irish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Getting any asset from any game and ripping it, or making it share-able and saying it is not bad is probably the most stupid idea ever made and thought of. If that is your thought in game development, you might just quit making games and go back to your old farm and plant potatoes.

Kyrah Abattoir

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
People who say that sort of stuff are usually the kind of people who see no problems with ripping resources or cloning games.

Your attitude seems to be "be happy to share all your stuff with everyone, or don't make your game available to others to play at all". Thankfully, we are not limited to either of these extremes. Lawyers are expensive and not everyone has the funds to hire one. What's wrong with taking any reasonable measures to prevent resource theft, if it can avoid the two extremes you've listed and the requirements for legal action?

Yes, if someone wants to get into a game, they will do it. It doesn't mean you should ignore asset protection altogether. Any measure you put in will deter one more group of people from stealing your stuff.

Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but it won't keep a roof over your head or food on your table.
"People who say X are terrorists"

I am not saying that you should be happy or anything but there is no technical solution out there that will allow data to be read/played while also preventing its copy.

You are acting as if the assets are what makes the value of a game. A game is a lot more than the sum of its parts.

Stealing is not something I condone, but I do not see anything wrong in someone poking at the inner workings of a game and exploring its assets as long as they do not redistribute it or attempt to pass it as their own. This used to be called modding. Encrypting your assets is essentially considering that all your users are thieves.

Most game studios (even indies) don't encrypt their assets, they write a proper End user license agreement and dish out DMCA takedowns when there is a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
"People who say X are terrorists"

I am not saying that you should be happy or anything but there is no technical solution out there that will allow data to be read/played while also preventing its copy.

You are acting as if the assets are what makes the value of a game. A game is a lot more than the sum of its parts.

Stealing is not something I condone, but I do not see anything wrong in someone poking at the inner workings of a game and exploring its assets as long as they do not redistribute it or attempt to pass it as their own. This used to be called modding. Encrypting your assets is essentially considering that all your users are thieves.

Most game studios (even indies) don't encrypt their assets, they write a proper End user license agreement and dish out DMCA takedowns when there is a problem.
Assets are what makes the value of a game. If a game didn't have those assets, it simply wouldn't be the same game.

There is nothing with looking at how something works, nor is there anything preventing you from doing so.

But to say "it will be copied" and that's how "humanity grows" is to say you condone copyright infringement.

Most game studios take reasonable attempts to prevent users from easily taking their assets.

Almost every commercial game I've seen provides proprietary formats which incorporate any number of obfuscation techniques as well as encryption or compression so that people can't just open up the game folder and look at all the assets that are in use, in addition to legal restrictions.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Personally, I'd rather just encrypt the assets and not have to worry about the DMCA. Do you have any idea how much time those things take? And if you don't encrypt the assets, you'll need to do it more often than if you did encrypt them, because more "casual" users will be able to use them in their own games without going to any effort whatsoever.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
feel free to spend your energy on things that do not contribute anything to the quality of your game.
So the music, the graphics and the scripts/plugins add nothing to the quality of your game?Now there's an original thought.

Celianna

Tileset artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Kyrah Abattoir you are forbidden from posting in this thread any further, do not respond to this comment either. You have derailed the thread that wasn't up for discussion in the first place. Please do not continue posting in here anymore.

Reapergurl

Drummer Extraordinaire! xD
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Andar I took a small class in advanced programming as an extra curricular thing back in high school; I still have the notes I took from that class, including how to create a path to creating a RAM-drive, and it's something that is very difficult in all Windows past XP, especially if you have a SySWOW-64 type of Windows.

Of course, you must also have sufficient memory available on your RAM (when I did this in high school I had a 6.6 GB RAM card with at least 3 GB available to work with).

Somebody said something along the lines of 'If they want it bad enough, they'll get it.'

In my experience, one can also say 'If they're lucky enough to unwittingly type in the correct 1337 haxxor code'; this happened to me when I was messing around with ten-key code on an old version of MS Word. Yup, just being absolutely bored and done with the lesson (I was ten at the time), I started messing around and holding down the Alt key while typing numbers at random on the ten-key and then suddenly the screen goes black and then shows some sort of weird screen.

But yeah, it was just pure and stupid, plain dumb luck that I did it (though I still don't know precisely WHAT I did...)

If you look at it from a programmer's perspective, everything is a bunch of...

This webpage, the text I've written, the images, everything boils down to binary. It's only a matter of time before someone up-ends the data and figures it out.

Encrypt all you want, it makes no difference because encryption leaves trails like Adidas sneakers in thick mud (and that is absolutely true).

No, I'm no hacker, but I understand code and programming enough to know that reprogramming one code string will affect every other string, altering the entire process to do whatever the reprogrammer wants (and seriously, we're trying to create robots that can potentially think for themselves!?)

Yes, I'm quite paranoid on that subject, and rightfully so.

Passwords are your best friend. That and archive files like 7z and rar. 

Cunechan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The link is gone, just a question, does anyone have an alternative for this? I'd really need it especially since I've been dealing with people lately who decrypt games to steal resources, thanks a lot

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Cunechan
You can't really prevent it - even this one had only limited use and could be circumvented with a bit of knowledge.

A perfect protection would require a DRM server with online encryption - those are available for programs, but they require payment and are usually only used for larger commercial programs (you'll need to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars depending on what you want the DRM to do)

gregbaby

Evil Genius. o_O
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The links are now dead for the video and the download link. May want to delete this thread.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
While this tool works beautifully, for some reaosn, my saves don't register. I can save, reload my game and all saves are gone. Has anyone been able to get that to work?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

A collab cover of White Wishes with @PixeLockeT!!~

Multiple takes of my recordings ended in this way, I wish I could've done it better, but I still love this!
Just saw an article stating a Back to the FutureXTransformer comic crossover--and Doc Browns car is an Autobot. I am ALL FOR THIS!!
Well I sure didn't know fans could overheat and die. Room fans.
Felt like I dodged a bomb, my project was fine right after I force resetted due to a crash as I have yet to start working on it today..... :kaoback:
I have no idea what to do with my evening. I was working on the next Slip into Ruby but I kinda want to do something else for a bit. But I have no idea what. Yay indecision!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmateruYukitteru